1990s Rolex Watches: My First Foray into the World of Reps (pics at end)

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I first discovered reps in the early 1990's. Living in the west, I knew nothing about Canal Street. One day, a friend showed me his new Rolex and told me it was a rep. He explained that it was a "good" rep because it had a "perpetual motion" (sweeping) second hand. He told me that "bad" reps have second hands that "tick." I asked him how he got this incredible watch that replicated the Rolex sweeping second hand. He said that he found the seller through a little classified ad in the newspaper.
To put things into perspective, this was within a few years before sites like Craigslist, eBay and Amazon were even founded, much less popular.

Of course, I asked my friend for his connection. I called the seller, and we met in a parking lot. He showed me several Rolex watches he had for sale, all with sweeping second hands. I was so excited. I was like a kid in a candy store! At that time, I knew next to nothing about Rolex other than its reputation. I had no idea what models were what, or that a numbering system even existed. So I bought what I liked based on looks alone: a 16613 LB.

I started wearing the 16613 as a my daily watch. I loved it! But I didn't know how long it would last, and I suspected that my source may not be around forever. So I decided to buy some more watches for "down the road." I met with my source again to see what he had. All I had access to was what he brought with him to our second parking lot meeting. I wound up buying a day/date on a presidential bracelet. It really wasn't my style, but I figured it could be a good gift for a girlfriend. I also bought a "Yachtmaster." The quotes around "Yachtmaster" will make sense later. At that time, I did not know that the day/date was called a day/date. Back then, people (at least people like me who didn't know much about Rolex) used to refer to the date/day with a presidential bracelet as a "Rolex Presidential." That's what I thought it was called.

I continued to wear the 16613 as my daily watch. I could get away with one nice watch, but I couldn't get away with alternating watches. So I wore the "Yachtmaster" only a few times. I wound up offering the Day/Date to my mom. She wore it a few times but really wasn't into it, so I got it back.

After several years, the 16613 had really taken a beating from daily wear. Remarkably, I was able to find a replacement for it. I then wore the second 16613 for years.

Then came a time when I stopped wearing watches for a number of years. A few years back, I decided I wanted to wear watches again. Not knowing any better, I pulled out my old (second) 16613 and started wearing it again. Over time, it turned into an all-out beater. Even then, I still continued to wear it, probably long past when I should have stopped. One day, I must have banged my wrist on something, because I realized I lost the bezel. That was a sign to retire the watch.

Since 20+ years had passed, my source in the parking lot was obviously nowhere to be found. I got online and started searching. I found a ton of rep sites and had a hard time figuring out which one to trust. I did not know about the existence of TDs. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a VC. Fortunately, I did receive a watch, but it was too big for my wrist. So I got online again. This time, lucky me, I found this wonderful rep community. I'm so glad I did. This is such a great community, filled with super nice people that go out of their way to help (as long as your don't ask "Who has the best sub?" :)). I am particularly grateful for this forum. It's full of great people and no drama. What's not to like?

Ok, enough talk. Here are the photos.

My first 16613 is no longer in existence. May it RIP. My second 16613 super-beater is now fully-retired. Don't laugh too hard. Remember, I lost the bezel. It's a nice reminder of my first rep. BTW, the movement still runs like a champ. I pulled it out for pics and it's still running.

16613 dial 3.JPG

16613 full.JPG

The back is a bit beat up too, lol.

16613 back.JPG

And, of course, a wristie:

16613 wrist 1.JPG

Next up, we have the Day/Date. It also still runs great. And it's practically new.

pres dial 2.JPG

pres full.JPG

pres back.JPG

And let's do a wristie with a "ladies" watch. Why not, lol.

pres wrist 2.JPG

Well, I thought I could attach more files than 10 but I guess not. Since I have 4 more pics to go, the "Yachtmaster" will have to wait for the next post.

16613 wrist 1.JPG

pres dial 2.JPG

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I really like the look of this "Yachtmaster." Once I learned that it should say Yachtmaster on the dial, I never got over that. Also, the movement seems to have crapped out. The other 2 watches are running strong after pics. This one has stopped.

yacht dial 1.JPG

yacht full.JPG

yacht back.JPG

And the obligatory wristie:

yacht wrist.JPG

@occb2

Reactions: Scott and PACCBET
OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
What movements are those? Or are better movement pics needed to identify?

GMTG0D

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
Awesome history! I actually like the bracelet on th daydate! How has the gold held up after all this time?

Reactions: PlanetZoom

Atespo

Jan 25, 2018
East Coast, USA
I remember the first few reps I bought back in the 90’s at a flea market. I was still in high school, shit I didn’t even have a drivers license, my buddy’s parents wound drop us off at the flea and we’d walk around every weekend. The guy who had the reps never had them at his table inside the flea, we would ask him for them and we would follow him out to his van where he kept them. I remember them being $20-$50. I wish I woulda kept some, my fav was a shitty datejust and a Breitling wings. I think i still have the wings in pieces, but I don’t know what happened to the others. Man those were the good old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I remember the first few reps I bought back in the 90’s at a flea market. I was still in high school, shit I didn’t even have a drivers license, my buddy’s parents wound drop us off at the flea and we’d walk around every weekend. The guy who had the reps never had them at his table inside the flea, we would ask him for them and we would follow him out to his van where he kept them. I remember them being $20-$50. I wish I woulda kept some, my fav was a shitty datejust and a Breitling wings. I think i still have the wings in pieces, but I don’t know what happened to the others. Man those were the good old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Things sure have come a long way in 20+ years. Especially in the last several years.