A visit to Glashutte

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Visit to Glashutte Original

This is a post I wrote 3 years ago elsewhere . I thought it may be of interest here

Glashutte is a small town in Saxony with an incredible history in watchmaking, all of which is very well documented online. The reason for my visit was to feel the atmosphere and speak directly with G O about their view on watchmaking, where they feel they sit in relation to other manufacturers both Swiss and German. They were wonderfully hospitable and very welcoming. I was met by Rene Marx who is in charge of new media. Yes they do, as I have found also to be the case with other manufacturers, have a department who's job in part is to monitor , read, and understand watch fora. These people do know us, only by our forum names of course, they read what we say and try to understand us. While they recognise that WIS will never be the largest part of their business, at the same time they value that we have a particular view on watches and a deeper understanding of the way different models inter-relate.
It was very interesting hear directly from GO some of the reasoning behind their current range of watches. Some changes have occurred in the last few years; The deletion of all sports watches from the range. deletion of navigator watches from the range. It would seem that G O do not see themselves in the Tool watch market at all. They feel that their market lies in quality, sophistication, and great engineering and execution. They (not quite by direct admission) don't endevour to achieve quite the level of finish refinement as ALS, although, their sophistication in design engineering aspiration would seem to be more adventurous. This is witnessed by such creations as the Calendar week ( Now deleted) A watch with over 250 parts, including a third spring barrel and centrifugal brake added to the already highly sophisticated 100 series movement, simply to provide the weeks of the year. The Cosmopolite possibly one of the most sophisticated and well engineered watches around. It was interesting too to note the shared pride and unity among the several watchmaking factories in this small town. This despite the two big players being each under the ownership of the two mega rivals of watchmaking , Swatch and Richemont. They spoke with great pride and admiration for the quality of ALS watches and with equal pride and admiration for the achievements of Nomos. Unfortunately they have a policy which precludes the possibility of lots of photos, although I did get a few.
I was treated to a wonderful lunch and an accompanied visit to the Glashutte museum. All in all I had a great day and thoroughly enjoyed their hospitality and the frank discussion about their aims and hopes for the future. One of the things that came out very clearly is that they feel the UK market has been neglected in their efforts in other areas. This is currently being actively rectified. I am sure we will see many more ADs appointed in UK over the next year or two. This will bring the availability of these superb watches to many more people. I do apologise if the photos are a little boring. Some manufacturers are just not too keen on lots of random photos of their operations appearing all over the internet. They understandably prefer to have some control over the available images.

Arriving at the crucible of German watchmaking
14142165837_f0031d1f34_b.jpg

The modern GO building towering over ALS

14326951542_9a843b386c_b.jpg

The great entrance hall where some of their finest work is displayed

14325388591_ff2acd1c79_b.jpg

Interesting to note on this photo, looking at the drawing to the right of the Seventies image. It would seem they are still doing some work for Union Glashutte.

14305592806_f94f27f020_b.jpg

Some hand polishing going on here

14328038414_eb32c6bb89_b.jpg

An early watchmakers work bench

14142144010_63979d235e_b.jpg

An early calculating machine used in watchmaking

14328066464_16058cf0e8_b.jpg

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Thank you for sharing. You could do a travel channel show for watch travel!