Advice for the Gate?

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

WatchnScotch

Content Contributor
Dec 26, 2017
Just keep your expectations lows. You aren't going to get a super 1:1 rep for under $100. I think it is fun to play around with some of the watches on there and a lot have good value, just know what you are getting into.

Reactions: PACCBET

PACCBET

не за горами
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Canada
From what I’ve seen, the less popular brands are decent on the Gate. (See Whitey’s recent haul and Rich’s two Cartiers) Popular brands like Rolex or Omega seem to have glaring flaws so I would avoid those. And as said above, the fun in this is to keep your expectations low.

KaiserSosa

Apr 5, 2018
Bracelets have been really weak in my experience. So maybe a watch that you automatically plan to put on a strap or nato might be food for thought~

Also find a model/vendor that have a lot of positive reviews. I would look for something like 90 reviews and 4 and a half stars and lots of feedback and even photos from reviewers in the comments.

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
The sellers come and go. Its hard to tell someone who to buy from. Honestly I've ordered 20 or so watches and only had one come in dead. I just popped a new movement in, didn't bother with a refund. There are dozens of Chinese movement with complications and I've not had one crap out. I have found that new sellers will price watches 20% lower than others to get sales. For example the Cartier Diver I got $25 cheaper than they are listed now by going with a seller with little history. Here's what I have gotten over the years.

Airking - I've played with it a bit, but it looked much like this to start with.

2K0cftL.jpg

Fantasy - built from two $40 Jason007 watches.

JTZAnGK.jpg

TT Datejust - wife has worn it for a year

Qgq4Jw8.jpg

Another DJ

tix22n3.jpg

Another

XCiXYgF.jpg

Tudor BB Red

1G7H2tL.jpg

Pelagos

bZCHPvi.jpg

Blue Pelagos

JdTLAFb.jpg

Microstepper Daytonas

KrjpUyB.jpg

gG7AB0k.jpg

VC

7cDnNnR.jpg

Heuer

tGRYBE4.jpg

Wifes Chanel

BUWB0e3.jpg

PP

AlKkFBE.jpg

Patek

zApU1JT.jpg

Cartier

KATd3sC.jpg

5JPcp6a.jpg

That's it! Well for now. I don't have them all anymore, but I've been happy with them. YMMV and remember these truly, truly are toys. Like the toys in Cracker Jacks.

edit: a few more

$12

xFIo480.jpg

0mFnfaP.jpg

$9

d1F1crx.jpg

Jr9eeWF.jpg

$60

8d4rcur.jpg

New one.

6VRh5LV.jpg

Reactions: GMTG0D

charlestriskel

Aug 31, 2018
I feel like the gate it is good for filling a collection. I try to be super careful with my Super Reps, so sometimes it is nice to have a watch that I don't really care if something happens to it. However, my general rule of thumb is to buy a "simple" watch. I try to avoid subdials and stuff like that. Also you are probably better off getting an "exotic" watch that not everyone knows how it looks (I wouldn't buy a submariner for instance).

charlestriskel

Aug 31, 2018
I feel like the gate it is good for filling a collection. I try to be super careful with my Super Reps, so sometimes it is nice to have a watch that I don't really care if something happens to it. However, my general rule of thumb is to buy a "simple" watch. I try to avoid subdials and stuff like that. Also you are probably better off getting an "exotic" watch that not everyone knows how it looks (I wouldn't buy a submariner for instance).
Also, as a side note, there are other options to explore too. Now there's pretty darn good replicas on the $150ish range. I heard there is an AP Royal Oak that replicates an Automatic but is quartz that is an incredible replica, very hard to call out on wrist.