Aftermarket Ceramic bezel insert for Subs

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
It seems there are some good quality aftermarket ceramic bezel inserts for replica 40mm case but they all have white numbers. Anyone come across a good re-pop with silver numbers like authentic.

I also notice that my rep case bezel is slightly larger diameter than gen rolex so some bezels won't fit perfectly and leave a small gap when fitting.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Anyone come across a good re-pop with silver numbers like authentic.
I think most people tend to either send their bezels in for platinum coating or do it with a metallic sharpie/paint, you'd probably have better luck with that.

OP
Rich D

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
I think most people tend to either send their bezels in for platinum coating or do it with a metallic sharpie/paint, you'd probably have better luck with that.
Thanks, I think I will try to experiment with paint this weekend. Any recommendations?

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Thanks, I think I will try to experiment with paint this weekend. Any recommendations?
A metallic silver sharpie is probably a decent place to start.

i2Qn0sv.jpg

That's the cheap DSSD I used to own before I went at it with a paint sharpie.

X0pzhgY.jpg

There it is about 10 minutes later with a sloppy-ish job. It's easy enough to clean up and redo, too. It's much better-looking since not only is it grey, but it also sparkles and has the metallic gradient in lighting.

Odds are very much against you finding a replacement bezel insert that will fit your non-gen-spec bezel. :/

Reactions: MrE
OP
Rich D

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
A metallic silver sharpie is probably a decent place to start.

View attachment 11125

That's the cheap DSSD I used to own before I went at it with a paint sharpie.

View attachment 11126

There it is about 10 minutes later with a sloppy-ish job. It's easy enough to clean up and redo, too. It's much better-looking since not only is it grey, but it also sparkles and has the metallic gradient in lighting.

Odds are very much against you finding a replacement bezel insert that will fit your non-gen-spec bezel. :/
Thanks, i am going to experiment with some metallic silver paints.

Luxuracer

Noob Friendly
Feb 23, 2018
There had been many try and error experiment with platinum paint mods for ceramic inserts. The best DIY is the Molotow Paint Mod.
The result is better than the Sharpie and last a little longer.

Buy this; Molotow ONE4ALL Acrylic Paint Marker, 4mm, Metallic Silver

61SSXfm3edL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
Rich D

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
Did some experimentation this weekend. I used Testors model car paint metallic silver and result are not too bad. After the trial and error i discovered it was easiest to complete one or two marking at a time. I applied the paint, let it set for 1 minute and then used an exacto knife to scrape the excess off the raised area.

H-1.jpg

H-2.jpg

H-5.jpg

H-7.jpg

H-3.jpg

H-4.jpg

OP
Rich D

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
After a bit of experimenting here is my latest attempt. Testors metallic silver, bake at 275° for 15 mins.

4-9-18.jpg

4-9-18 2.jpg

kjakan79

Apr 5, 2018
A lot of good information on this mod on RWI also. Not sure if the search function shows all the posts after the site went down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rich D

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
Can't say that my method is best but the result certainly looks better than white! Especially for anyone who wants a $15 insert and not spend several hundred for the gen insert second hand.

Rush

Content Contributor
Jan 28, 2018
Hey guys!

Has anyone ever done a gold sharpie mod for, say, a 116613? Mine looks good out in the sun, but the numerals get washed out indoors. I've tried to find intel on the other sites like RWI, and Repgeek, but couldn't find much information.

Any of you owners of the 116613 LB or LN do any ceramic mods?f0752e089ff174d24a164edbcca405be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Luxuracer

Noob Friendly
Feb 23, 2018
Hey guys!

Has anyone ever done a gold sharpie mod for, say, a 116613? Mine looks good out in the sun, but the numerals get washed out indoors. I've tried to find intel on the other sites like RWI, and Repgeek, but couldn't find much information.

Any of you owners of the 116613 LB or LN do any ceramic mods?View attachment 14208

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

There are two options that I know of.
If you want to DIY you can buy a Molotow ONE4ALL Acrylic Metallic Gold Pen, and do the paint mod yourself.
If you want to get it close to gen at a fraction of the price then send it to have a Spongebob Gold Plating done.

Rush

Content Contributor
Jan 28, 2018
There are two options that I know of.
If you want to DIY you can buy a Molotow ONE4ALL Acrylic Metallic Gold Pen, and do the paint mod yourself.
If you want to get it close to gen at a fraction of the price then send it to have a Spongebob Gold Plating done.
Great! I may have it done with Sponge Bob! Thank you!

Spirit

Apr 7, 2018
Problem with pen mods is that they don´t last long, so repainting is often necessary... real paint + baking is the best option yet. Spongebob is the closest to gen I have seen so far indeed.

I do all my platinum and gold mods myself tho (paint and baking)
Gold mod I did on my GMT TT:
7oqRPAb.jpg

and platinum paint mod I did on my GMT LN:
hX3hqJ4.jpg

and my platinum mod next to a GEN GMT:
2nvTLil.jpg

Cheers,
Spirit.

Reactions: MrE

Rush

Content Contributor
Jan 28, 2018
@Spirit

You do excellent work sir!
Can you please take a few more pictures of that 2 tone GMT IIc in more daylight?
I have a 2 tone sub, and the insert color on the numbers is not good.
Thanks!

Reactions: Spirit

Spirit

Apr 7, 2018
@Spirit

You do excellent work sir!
Can you please take a few more pictures of that 2 tone GMT IIc in more daylight?
I have a 2 tone sub, and the insert color on the numbers is not good.
Thanks!
... Thanks mate!

Sure thing! Will take some more pics tomorrow in daylight. (It´s 9PM already here, so no sun at all to take pics, lol)
Will give you a shout as soon as I post it.

I have done it on my GMT TT, but I have a couple of Sub-C TT here too...

Cheers,
Spirit.

OP
Rich D

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
Problem with pen mods is that they don´t last long, so repainting is often necessary... real paint + baking is the best option yet. Spongebob is the closest to gen I have seen so far indeed.

I do all my platinum and gold mods myself tho (paint and baking)
Gold mod I did on my GMT TT:
View attachment 17367

and platinum paint mod I did on my GMT LN:
View attachment 17368

and my platinum mod next to a GEN GMT:
View attachment 17369

Cheers,
Spirit.
What paint do you use?