Aging a brass/bronze watch (Pic Heavy)

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
I wanted a Maranaz Rawai brass...so I got one and decided I wanted that "back from the bottom of the sea" look....after much research I decided to try forcing the patina myself...with much trepidation I might add.

So I went the salt and ammonia route.

Coat the watch with a heavy saltwater solution, then suspend it in a sealed container containing ammonia (do not let the watch touch the ammonia) . Let the fumes work for about 20 minutes then remove the watch and let dry completely. Repeat this process until the desired patina is achieved...

Here is the result...if anyone wants more details let me know...I think it turned out perfect, the way I wanted.

Before:

Rawai3.jpg
Rawai7.jpg
Rawai4.jpg

After:
Mod1.jpg
Mod4.jpg
Mod3.jpg

And here it is with a bronze "Knuckle Buckle" I picked up...(Also Aged)

Buckle.JPG
Buckle1.jpg
wild3.jpg
m8.jpgm7.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my project...

Last edited:
OP
WingNut

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Update...

The original process was done a while ago...after some time in the wild the patina has changed to this...

Rawai9.jpg

Rawai10.jpg

Last edited:

Malencor

Sep 7, 2019
Looks good how do you feel about the petina changing from when you first did it to how it is now and did you think about sealing the petina so as to not deteriorate further?