An early morning thought...

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
OK...

As I lay here pondering my next move...I thought I would ask the group...

What drives your watch "jones"...

In other words...what makes you buy or sell a watch...

Get it?

I hope so...:)

OP
WingNut

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Come on...this was you opportunity to share your inner most thoughts on why you buy a watch or decide to give one up...

I know we buy a watch because we "like" it...and we sell one because we no longer wear it...

I for one keep buying...My problem is I need to sell something..

If there is any other reasons...let's hear it...

heretical_contrarian

Not all those who wander are lost.
Feb 22, 2018
I keep 8 watches and maintain a strict 1 in, 1 out rule. One for each day of the week and one for special occasions.

My decision to bring a new one home rests solely on if I like the piece better than one that I already have.

Side note- I also do the same with machined pens. 8 pieces that is.

Reactions: MrE
OP
WingNut

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Buying a watch isn't a problem for me, it's keeping them around. I seem to keep letting them go for no reason when it gets crowded.....
Well that's my point...do you just sell them...once you get tired...? I guess we all do...but selling them is no where as easy as buying them...and I have a hard time parting with them...

Shit...I need to stop buying... :)

Reactions: Phil G and PACCBET
OP
WingNut

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
I keep 8 watches and maintain a strict 1 in, 1 out rule. One for each day of the week and one for special occasions.

My decision to bring a new one home rests solely on if I like the piece better than one that I already have.

Side note- I also do the same with machined pens. 8 pieces that is.
8 watches...well that's about third of my stash...LOL

I could not survive with 8 watches...

dave47

Diplomat
Diplomat
Apr 19, 2018
I buy AND HOARD watches for a simple reason: I love them; and, as I told my wife, if I could buy every watch I saw and liked, I'd blow thousands of $$ on them & would have to build a separate room to house them all. She just looks at me with "that look" and rolls her eyes.. .

dave

Reactions: SuperLory and MrE

M_Hall

Apr 13, 2018
My wife bought me a beautiful Aspinal watch box and it holds 4 watches so I try to keep my collection to 5 (1 on the wrist 4 in the box) it’s hard but it also means they all see some wrist time.

I’ll always buy new watches as I love them and love the excitement of the waiting for new ones.

This year the Rep Makers have really upped their game so may be time for a new watch box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
I have a strict 80 watch limit. I sold 4 in the last 2 days and you could not tell. I would probably have 800 if the wife were not here. 5 inch fingernails and toenails too. Urine in bottles.

SuperLory

Content Contributor
Jan 29, 2018
Singapore
What does one mean with i keep 5 watches so that all of them have wrist time ??? I can do that easily with a multiple of 5 as well.

mech500

Apr 15, 2018
I browse the “wrist-shot” threads daily and if something catches my eye, I look into it more....i.e research reviews, different versions, flaws etc.

That generally leads to a purchase. When the watch arrives, if it doesn’t completely blow me away, I sell it.

Similarly, when I pick up an existing watch from my collection, if it no longer blows me away, I sell it.

Consequently, I only keep around 5-6 watches (mix of gen vs rep)....and I wear the shit out of them. They become a part of my body. Lol

Anymore than 5-6 watches in rotation and it becomes impossible to wear and truely enjoy and connect with them all.

I don’t want to have 50 watches in my drawer because I simply won’t have the time to wear and connect with them all. No point in looking at your collection and getting to wear each watch once every three months (or whatever). Lol

Reactions: MrE

_GC_

aspiring watch aficionado
Diplomat
Mar 13, 2018
Sin City
I have often thought... “ if my Rolex, that was stolen from my luggage, would turn up, I would sell all but one rep and be done with it all.”

I think the reason I have 10 toy Rolex is because I’m trying to fill the void of “the one watch”. It was a present from my old man on my 18th birthday. I wore it everyday for 11 years straight, I would only take it off to shower. The one time I travel half way around the world ( Tenerife to Spain, Spain to Florida, Florida to Las Vegas) I decided not to wear it, and instead wore a watch a girlfriend had recently gifted me... needless to say, it was never seen again. :(

There was a time in this hobby that I would buy a watch just to photograph it. If it was particularly detailed or I thought it would make a good subject I would buy it and sell it on. In total, and this is purely guesstimating, I’ve owned around 75 watches over an 8 year period in this hobby.
Having said that, I don’t like to sell “my watches” , even if they are just toys. When I do sell a piece, it’s because it hasn’t gotten wrist time for a long time.

I’m down to ten, one day maybe less.

Last edited:

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I have around 40 watches. There are current regulars which seem to all have wrist time. There are some I only wear on certain occasions. Then there are some which don't get worn for a long time, then I suddenly think "Wow that looks great, I will wear it, then it joins the regular club for a while.
I very rarely sell anything. I recently sold my Noob V7 Sub, because I had ordered the ARF SD 43. I was never comfortable wearing the V7.

bobandshawn

Mar 24, 2018
I am down to 3 watches now. All personal builds that serve a specific purpose. I have had/sold many dozens over the years - but these three are the culmination of my hobbying.

Any more than three and my ADD/OCD makes the squirrels go crazy because some may not be getting adequate wrist time.