Best chef knives - a double edged dilemma

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
I have been asked this many many times in the past and have always had the same answer: the knife that naturally fits your hand and feels like it is an extension of your arm, is the perfect chef knife for you. Does this mean that you have to try out 30 different knives? In a perfect world the answer is yes. But who has immediate access to 5 different chef knives at a moments notice let alone 10-20 of the worlds top picks year after year to try out? Take a look here and see just a small example of what there is to offer in chef knives https://www.reviews.com/chef-knife/ and one can still come out from reading that article still having no clue which is best for them. A $1000 chef knife could literally be the worst knife for someone but a bargain garage sale knife picked up for $5, re-conditioned and sharpened back to life, could be the best feeling knife in the world and work perfect for them.

When I began my journey through the culinary world, I worked side by side with many well respected chefs and professionals. I spent less time looking at what they created and more time at their individual knife skills. How they sliced, diced, chopped. So how did that all begin? 5 months of preparing Tourne potatoes for 2 hours a day 5 days a week. The whole process of preparing a Tourne potato is a pain in the ass to a beginner and quite dangerous to your once-a-week-at-home-cook. But, after the weeks went on, this is where I began to learn about just how different knives could be...even if they were all the same style "tourne knife", I was able to try different ones. Lighter knives with a thinner blade weren't solid enough to cut through a potato for me. I felt that I had no control and would eventually slice my hand. Eventually I settled with a very heavy and robust tourne knife for the remainder of the jail sentence that was tourne potatoes. This knife weighed almost triple of what the cheapies weighed but it felt good for me. On the hand, there were guys that loved using the cheap ones so are they wrong? No.

What does this all even mean? You can read and research about knives until you are blue or green in the face. If you think spending $400 on a Misono or $100 on a Global is going to be good for your kitchen and needs at home, be sure to try the knifes out or at least hold them in your hand. My knives of choice surprise just about everyone I talk to as they have traditionally been labeled as a beginners or basic chef knife that are used as staff knives for kitchen employees around the world. Well, that actually says alot about the knives right there doesn't it?

The knives that I use are the Victorinox Rosewood knifes. They are affordable, hold a great edge, slightly lighter in weight and feel incredible in my hand. Again, they feel great in my hand.

Here is a pic of the only kitchen knifes that I own minus a bread knife which a refuse to buy because we rarely cut our bread....we usually just tear pieces lol....

d23c24c8f58b1bfbc57438d896e92d8d.jpg

Wustoff Classic Honing steel
8 inch chef knife # 5.2060.20 This knife is used 99% of the time.
7 inch chef knife #5.2000.19
Boning knife #5.6616.15
Pairing knife

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
The other answer I've heard to this question is "the knife that you sharpen regularly."

A friend of mine (named Josh) has been cooking lots of meat recently since I got him on the keto train and had always been using the same old knives for years and years... Another friend (who LOVES cooking) gave Josh his old knives and Josh was BLOWN AWAY by the difference in ease of use when they were actually sharp.

I think most people at home tend to not think about the sharpness of their knives as something that changes or can be changed... but it's tremendously important.

Reactions: ChefZorba
OP
ChefZorba

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
A sharp knife is a safe knife in the kitchen.

@LarryZek I do like Shun knives as well. They feel very elegant in the hand and have a much better finishing process. But I have always felt, imho, they just felt a little too delicate. Even though they are extremely well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LarryZek and Scott

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
A sharp knife is a safe knife in the kitchen.

@LarryZek I do like Shun knives as well. They feel very elegant in the hand and have a much better finishing process. But I have always felt, imho, they just felt a little too delicate. Even though they are extremely well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. For things with bones I'm afraid to use them and a nice strong German cleaver comes into play.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I agree. For things with bones I'm afraid to use them and a nice strong German cleaver comes into play.
Pliers and nutcrackers for me, bones scare the shit out of me ever since I sliced the pad of my finger off by accident.

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Pliers and nutcrackers for me, bones scare the shit out of me ever since I sliced the pad of my finger off by accident.
That's rough Scott. Sorry to hear. I cut into my pad pretty good when I was 12 cutting a mango. Still love mangos...

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
That's rough Scott. Sorry to hear. I cut into my pad pretty good when I was 12 cutting a mango. Still love mangos...
Harder to give up mangos than bones! :p

I figure, if I'm making stock that I'm going to strain anyway, might as well just break them instead of cutting them.

Reactions: LarryZek

Pistolpete6

Feb 7, 2018
Calgary, AB
I have used Wustof knives for years and love the balance they have. You're right @Chefzorba a sharp knife is safer than a dull one as you're more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife...

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
You wont believe this but one of the kids in our neighborhood started this business in High school. I imagine he must be around 26 by now around the same age as my son, these kids never cease to amaze me.
http://www.aurachef.com/

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
I am ashamed to admit it but I have used a premium set(means free) from Harris Teeter for the past 15 years. They were basically free if you shopped there. I learned how to sharpen and knife and the have served me well. I have three sets and one still in the attic in storage. I cook a LOT, and these have been awesome. But a honing stone, some oil...........makes all the difference in the world.

Reactions: Scott