Beware iphone photos

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Everywhere I read how great the iphone cameras are now. Personally I don't agree. I think they way the iphone software handles colour , even in natural light is pretty crap.

Take a look at this watch. You may notice that the hands and subdial rings are very much blue. Photo was taken in natural light

16522084277_55b74d1ba7_b.jpg

Here is a photo of the same watch I took it in perfect natural light with iphone X

26260200387_cf649f1fb6_b.jpg

Don't see much blue.

Not much we can do about this. However I think it is important when buying watches from photos, often taken with iphone, not to pay too much attention to colours.

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
just a matter of white balance... I found that Samsung are more crappy due to an extreme gamma for the colours, too much vivid.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Interesting...

Gamma, Bamma...Slamma...

Search and look for what the watch is supposed to be...just say'in.

Thanks Tim (y)

Reactions: Cristobal

Kilowattore

Content Contributor
Feb 4, 2018
Color has always been an issue. You also have to consider that every screen will have different settings so it will render the picture differently.
That's why the rep factories can't ever get the right blue in dials imho.

Reactions: ginopino

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
Color has always been an issue. You also have to consider that every screen will have different settings so it will render the picture differently.
In fact, professional printers have to be carefully caibrated with the display, so you can render the exact colour you will print.
Not all the monitor are good for this kind of work.

And this things reflect also on photographs: you took a photo with any camera, it will show different in colors from a display to another...

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I agree about the iPhone -- the automatic processing leans toward contrasty pictures for "pop" (dark shadows, high saturation) because it looks good to people. I always say that I wish rep sellers would include a color card in their pictures...

Watches2Play

Timelord
Ambassador
Dec 27, 2017
iPhone pics are generally overexposed I think. I usually manually lower the exposure a bit and punch up the color saturation. Seems to help make the pics a bit more punchy, maybe a bit less natural but better looking on a mobile screen.
Getting blued hands to show up right is always hard, I have had several such watches and had a devil of a time getting the blue to show.

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
iPhone pics are generally overexposed I think. I usually manually lower the exposure a bit and punch up the color saturation. Seems to help make the pics a bit more punchy, maybe a bit less natural but better looking on a mobile screen.
Getting blued hands to show up right is always hard, I have had several such watches and had a devil of a time getting the blue to show.
I think IOS hates blue. I don't have this problem with other devices.

Cristobal

Jan 26, 2018
My iPhone X takes amazing photos!! But then again I’m very big into mobile photography.

mech500

Apr 15, 2018
I much prefer iPhone sales pictures over those “white box” pictures that sellers take with their high end DSLRs.

For example:

Here’s a “white-box” picture (sorry don’t know the correct term), taken from a sales listing: it’s hard to see brushing, a lot of detailed is grayed out. I have no idea what the watch will look like in real life.
9d8994ed42f385e8aee64336947eede6.jpg

And here’s a simple iPhone picture taken in natural light (automatic setting). Everything looks much crisper and blemishes aren’t grayed out. What you see is what you get (unlike with light box pictures).
8ddafcfdfadee55b22b8aef7050a705d.jpg

Apologies, if my analogy is deviating from the point of your thread.

Reactions: Thrasher

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
In fact, professional printers have to be carefully caibrated with the display, so you can render the exact colour you will print.
Not all the monitor are good for this kind of work.

And this things reflect also on photographs: you took a photo with any camera, it will show different in colors from a display to another...
I recently purchased a monitor for photographers made by Benq. It has all these settings for that but I only bought it because it was a good price for a 1440p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
I much prefer iPhone sales pictures over those “white box” pictures that sellers take with their high end DSLRs.

For example:

Here’s a “white-box” picture (sorry don’t know the correct term), taken from a sales listing: it’s hard to see brushing, a lot of detailed is grayed out. I have no idea what the watch will look like in real life.
View attachment 14269

And here’s a simple iPhone picture taken in natural light (automatic setting). Everything looks much crisper and blemishes aren’t grayed out. What you see is what you get (unlike with light box pictures).
View attachment 14270

In theory one should be able to take a better photo with a dslr and light box. I think in this case they exposure or white balance is too high

mech500

Apr 15, 2018

For example:

View attachment 14269

View attachment 14270

In theory one should be able to take a better photo with a dslr and light box. I think in this case they exposure or white balance is too high

Yes, that’s true but I see a LOT of eBay/chrono24 sellers with the same white balance pictures. A lot of TD QC pictures are this way too.

Some more examples:
215727e6a5ea717a08c382b1aa36d3b1.jpg
acee886e27b388914762b50d9d1336e0.jpg

Here another DSLR pic....bet the dial and strap looking nothing like that colour in real life
In this case it would be better for the seller to just point and shoot with an iPhone. Lol
af23657825e457a3ddde2affc09511b2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MrE and Thrasher

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada

For example:

View attachment 14269

View attachment 14270

Yes, that’s true but I see a LOT of eBay/chrono24 sellers with the same white balance pictures. A lot of TD QC pictures are this way too.

Some more examples:
View attachment 14332
View attachment 14333

Here another DSLR pic....bet the dial and strap looking nothing like that colour in real life
In this case it would be better for the seller to just point and shoot with an iPhone. Lol
View attachment 14334

I would not buy a watch from a sales listing that has photos like that

Reactions: mech500