Chef's Corner #1 - Lentil Soup

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
Thought I would add a few weekly/bi-weekly/daily/random/whenever I get the chance to add some of my favorite recipes for all you food lovers out there that like to adventure into the kitchen and create some dishes for yourselves or families from time to time. I'll keep it simple to start off.

One of my favorite soups. The saying there is a seat for every ass runs true to this recipe as there are many variations and ways to make this. This is a simple tried and true method that will be enjoyable for everyone.

Lentil Soup

Adjust ingredient amount to your needs

2 cups dried brown lentils
1 medium white onion, small dice
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
5 beefsteak tomatoes, skinned and cleaned with guts and seeds thrown away, small dice
1/2 cup Greek extra virgin olive oil
1 bay leaf
butter
salt
freshly ground black pepper

1. Soak lentil overnight in a pot with plenty of water to cover them all.
2. Next day, drain then lentils and put them in a pot with all remaining ingredients except the butter, salt and pepper.
3. Fill the pot of lentils and ingredients with enough water to have an extra 1 inch of water above the lentil mix.
4. Bring to a boil then lower the temperature to a low simmer for 30-45 mins.
5. Remember to stir every 5-7 mins and periodically check the water level and add water to keep it at a slightly "thick soup" consistency.
6. Soup is ready when it has a very nice brownish color and is slightly thick.
7. Add salt and pepper to your taste liking
8. OPTIONAL - add a dab of butter on top when you serve it.

*This recipe can also be given a boost* - Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until translucent and then add all ingredients together and continue with step 3.