Chef's Corner #3 - Marinated Swordfish, Mussels with Rice and Greek Salad

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
First and foremost, a great deal of thanks and appreciation go to HB @muscles and all staff involved for getting this little corner of HB-land setup. What started off as just a little fun way for me to get some meals and recipes shared with my watch nerd buddies has turned into an official sub-forum dedicated to these recipes. I hope you guys find these entertaining and in the future give some of these a try or even better, share your own recipes!

Thought I would kick off the officially recognized Chef's Corner with one of my all time favorite dishes/experiences. This is a staple whenever I go back to the homeland on vacation. It is one of those situations where the food and location creates the best feeling on earth. If you have the time one evening I suggest serving all of these together family style with some freshly baked bread. Enjoy!

Swordfish with lemon marinade

4 Swordfish steaks 1 inch thick
1-2 juice of fresh lemons
Grated lemon rind from lemons(very fine if possible)
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch flat leaf parsley chopped fine
6-8 bay leaves
2 springs fresh thyme(dried is ok but fresh is preferred here as the scent is more potent and garnish looks more presentable)
salt and fresh pepper to taste

1. Salt and pepper the swordfish steaks to your personal taste.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, lemon rind, 4 TBLS olive oil and parsely.
3. Brush the steaks with this marinade covering all areas of fish.
4. Place 1 bay leaf on top of each steak, wrap individually with plastic wrap and let marinade for 1-2 hours.
5. When marinade time is up, remove steaks from wrap and get ready.
6. Heat 4 TBLS of olive oil and remaining bay leaves to medium heat in a pan. *DO NOT allow oil to smoke for this is going to burn the fish and you will have to restart step 6*
7. Place the steaks in the pan on top of the bay leaves and fry them for about 4-5 mins on each side until cooked through.
8. When just about cooked, pour remaining marinade and salt and pepper to your taste, over the steaks and remove the pan from the heat.
9. Arrange the fish on a hot serving plate with fresh thyme on top.

Mussels and Rice

2 lbs fresh muscles(not our fearless leader lmao)
2/3-1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup water
1 large white onion finely chopped
2/3-1 cup dry white wine(pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc, or UN-oaked chardonnay)
3 roma tomatoes peeled and small dice
2 cups basmati rice(your choice is fine here)
1 TBLS flat leaf parsley finely chopped
1 TBLS dill finely chopped
salt and fresh pepper to taste

1. Wash the mussels and make sure to scrub them thoroughly. We do not want any dirt or sediment in the dish. Be sure to THROW AWAY and mussels that are already opened.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and begin to saute the onions at a medium heat for about 4 mins.
3. Add the mussels and 1 cup water and bring this to a boil. Cover, cook mussels and discard any that do not open(if needed, add small amount of water to keep a boil going)
4. Pour in the white wine, add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour in enough water so that the mussels are covered and simmer for about 15 mins.
6. Add the rice and cook until rice is tender and the stock/juice has been absorbed by the rice. If it becomes dry, add a little hot water.
7. Arrange on a dish and garnish with the parsley and dill.

Greek Salad

There are many "traditional" ways to make this salad. My father has his way, my aunt has her way and I have my way. Ask any Greek and you may receive a different recipe for this staple of the Greek dining experience but the "must haves" of this dish are tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, feta cheese, greek olives and olive oil. Anything other than these ingredients is very acceptable and traditional and can be traced to different regions in Greece and how they prepare this.

Greek Salad "Zorba's Way"

6 roma tomatoes diced medium
1 cucumber diced medium
1 large red onion sliced into rings
2 green peppers cut into rings
greek olives as many as you like. Be sure they are nice and salty and oily.
8oz of feta cheese
3 TBLS capers without juice
extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar(to your liking)
oregano and salt and pepper(to your liking)

1. Place all the vegetables in large mixing bowl along with the oil and vinegar and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place mix into a serving bowl.
3. Add olives all over the mix and place cheese directly on top of mix.
4. Sprinkle capers on top as well as plenty of more olive oil.
5. Sprinkle with oregano to your liking.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
ooh, swordfish! A couple of questions. :)

1. I've heard two fish philosophies -- one, that each side should just be cooked the same amount of time, and two, that it should just be left entirely on one side and slightly seared on the other. Do you have an opinion?

2. What do you think about doing the edge of the steak to crisp up the skin?

Reactions: ChefZorba
OP
ChefZorba

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
I’ve had wine so I hope this makes sense 🤣🤣🤣

Part 1. To be honest and hopefully not vague....both philosophies work just fine in my experience when speaking about fish depending on the fish, salt water species can be served from rare all the way to well done(eh..) so when cooking some fish, sword in particular, you can have a nice good sear on one side and a little more fire on the other, serve it medium and be just fine. A lot of Americans, and I say this as a generalization and not to be rude or stereotype, believe that all fish need to be fully cooked through, aside from sushi(kind of a contradiction...but sushi grade is a different animal all together) Again, that’s generalized from my experiences in the cheffing game thus far.

Tuna, sword, mahi mahi, salmon, I’ve all cooked with time on the bottom and flipped it to get that nice sear on top and finished off medium.

White fish however, Cods and flounder off the top of my head and ALL lake fish, i have always cooked through. Lake fish cooked through especially due to different types of parasites that need fully cooked for safety.

For part 2. Steaks are always great when you can sear the edge first and then cook your steak. I finely grind up some rosemary, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper and put it all over the sides of a steak. I get a pan as hot as possible, add oil, and carefully sear the sides that have the rosemary mix for about 3 seconds each spot. Rotate the steak so that every spot get an even sear then put it on the grill cook it to your liking.

Searing the sides of steaks is kind of a lost art that I wish more chefs/restaurants would do nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rwatch0 and Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
ALL lake fish, i have always cooked through. Lake fish cooked through especially due to different types of parasites that need fully cooked for safety.
Sounds like I learned something really important today... though luckily I only eat sea fish, whew.

Searing the sides of steaks is kind of a lost art that I wish more chefs/restaurants would do nowadays.
I agree!

I was actually asking about searing the edges of a swordfish steak though, especially that skin. :)

A lot of people I know don't like to eat the skin but I do, as long as it's been crisped up a bit... but have noticed that that's sometimes a rare case and wondered if I've been committing some kind of culinary no-no. :p

OP
ChefZorba

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
Skin on the fish steaks....that’s a delicacy! If done right is very VERY GOOD! Light salt and pepper with olive oil and some thyme on high will crisp it up nicely and you can eat it straight with the fish meat OR you can shave it off and serve on top of an aromatic rice such as basmati(I’ve never seen it done in a restaurant or by a chef but I’ve done it before with a well garliced piece of salmon skin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I'm glad you agree with me! My girlfriend is always like "gross ew how can you eat that" and SHE'S the Japanese one. :p

I never thought about serving it separately, that sounds good too. Thanks!