Chef's Corner #5 - Stuffed Bell Peppers

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
It's been cold out here in LA the past few weeks and nothing better than comfort food and stuff that makes the whole house smell good. Bringing to the HB fam this recipe for stuffed bell peppers from the homeland. Traditionally this dish finds it's home in the northern Aegean but over time, as with all foods, can be found in many places in the world and claimed as their own. I know one thing....it's good.

Stuffed Bell Peppers

This recipe makes 4 bell peppers so adjust accordingly if you want more....obviously :)

4 large green bell peppers
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion finely chopped
4 sprigs parsley finely chopped(stems ok)
1/2 bunch of dill finely chopped(stems ok)
3 sprigs fresh mint finely chopped(no stems)
1 cup white basmati rice
1 3/4 cup tomato juice
1 TBLS tomato paste
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Rinse peppers and cut off the top of the pepper and set aside. Be sure to cut the top with the stem and cut it so it creates a "lid" or "cap". Remove seeds from inside.
3. Heat 1/2 of the olive oil in a pan and saute onions.
4. Add the herbs and rice. Stir thoroughly and pour 1/2 of the tomato juice and a little water over the rice.
5. Once simmering, stir in the tomato paste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Cook the rice until about 1/4/-1/2 way cooked.
7. Remove from heat and stuff the peppers with the rice mixture, place on a baking sheet or casserole, and pour a little amount of water into the dish.
8. Place the "lids - caps" onto the peppers and pour in the remaining tomato juice and oil.
9. Bake in the oven until rice and peppers are tender on the MIDDLE rack.

These can be served hot or cold.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Mmm, I love stuffed peppers, but bell peppers are so pricey here... I use jasmine and mix in some andouille as well.

Do you bake them upright or on the sides? I always had problems with them falling over, so I just do them on the side now, fill them through a slit.

What's the water for?

Reactions: ChefZorba
OP
ChefZorba

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
Mmm, I love stuffed peppers, but bell peppers are so pricey here... I use jasmine and mix in some andouille as well.

Do you bake them upright or on the sides? I always had problems with them falling over, so I just do them on the side now, fill them through a slit.

What's the water for?
I bake them standing up and have always used the same pan for them that fits 10 perfectly lol. Fine a pan or casserole dish that hey can fit snug.

The water is basically to make sure that there is some fluid in the pan so the peppers do not stick and burn to it.

You “could” take this liquid, after the peppers are done, put it in a sauce pan and reduce it down by 1/2...add some lemon and a little cream and boom! Lemon sauce for the peppers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PACCBET and Scott