FAQ: My watch broke. What are my options?

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Any watch can break, rep or gen. It’s not fun, but it happens.

First thing to do is not freak out. Take a deep breath. Relax.

Here are some options:

Is Your Watch under Warranty?

Did it arrive broken? Did you get it recently? Your TD’s terms and conditions should spell out if you have a warranty, when it applies, and how it works.

Even if your watch is under warranty, it may not be worth it to send it to China for repair. It costs time and money to do that. Plus, there is the risk of having the watch seized in both directions.

Instead, it might make sense to get the watch fixed through one of the other options listed below. Depending on the dealer, you might get a credit for what you spend on a future order. Check with your TD. They may ask for a receipt showing what you spent.

Search the Forum

Search the forum to see if others have had the same problem and what they did to solve it.

If you are new to automatic watches, keep in mind that if your watch stopped, it might be because you need to wind the crown and/or put the watch on and move your wrist around. Automatic watches wind themselves from the energy created by movement.

If you watch goes wild for no apparent reason, you might have a magnetism problem. Here is a post about What to do When Your Watch Goes Wild.

Fix it Yourself

If you are a DIY type, you can try to fix the watch yourself. There may be a guide or tutorial on the forum that will walk you through the process. If not, post a question.

Send it to a Watchmaker that Works on Reps

There are lot of members here who have a ton of incredible knowledge and experience in building, fixing, customizing, and modifying watches. Some of them will do work for other members.

If your watch needs serious help, this is probably your best option.

Find a Local Watchmaker that will Work on a Rep

You can look for a local watchmaker who works on reps.

If you take this route, do not go to an Authorized Watch Dealer.

Instead, find an independent watchmaker.

Show them your watch and ask them if they can fix it. Make sure you tell them it’s a rep. You can use the word "imitation" or "replica." Do not try to pass your watch off as gen.

One approach is to tell the person that you know the watch is not worth a lot of money, but it was a gift and has sentimental value to you. (If you were the one who bougt it, then it was a gift to yourself. :) )

After you figure out that the watchmaker is willing to work on reps, you can ask them how often they work on rep watches. Once you start talking to the person about reps, you should have a green light to come back with more reps.

WatchGuy

Dec 22, 2017
I'm going to be sticking a lot of your threads. Thanks for taking the time to put together these

AlohaMrHand

Jul 6, 2018
This is so helpful--thank you. I haven't purchased my first rep yet (in the "spending-too-much-time-on-various-boards-researching" stage), but this is my 2nd biggest worry (after seizure by customs). I was wondering if there is a list of watchmakers by region that are willing to work on reps, but I'm guessing that it's sorta not something they would want to publicize?

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
This is so helpful--thank you. I haven't purchased my first rep yet (in the "spending-too-much-time-on-various-boards-researching" stage), but this is my 2nd biggest worry (after seizure by customs). I was wondering if there is a list of watchmakers by region that are willing to work on reps, but I'm guessing that it's sorta not something they would want to publicize?
There are a number of Supporting Vendor watchmakers on the boards that work on watches, including several in the USA. As long as they are reputable on the boards and in the same country as you, I wouldn't worry about it.