Gen Dial Datejust - building tutorial

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
So I was working on a couple DJs and thought I would show what goes into making one. This has a gen dial I picked up off ebay a while ago. I am using a Rafflesdials 2836 case set.

So the parts:

5Ug0khO.jpg

I am using a 2879 NOS Swiss low beat movement that is almost exactly the same size as a 2836. I checked before I started to make sure everything would fit. Case set comes with crown and retaining ring. I will need to add a Rolex datewheel overlay, I picked champagne.

We have two major issues. First the feet on the dial don't work with the movement. There are a couple ways to fix that. Remove the existing feet and then glue new ones one with epoxy, OR, glue the ETA spacer to the back of dial and secure with a tiny bit of double stick tape. With DJs most people pick the latter.

The second problem is fitting the datewheel. I need to glue it to the existing datewheel without gumming up the works (and put it in the right alignment).

HNAv2pN.jpg

kKfsLsR.jpg

I like to use a 5 minute epoxy on this so I can adjust stuff.

687ZGt4.jpg

So I mix up some epoxy and sparingly apply to the retaining ring, position it on the dial and center it. I sparingly apply it to the datewheel and then position the overlay. I find that lining up the middle of the three with the stem gives me the best result. Let it dry overnight.

Using 1/8 inch double stick tape I put three small pieces on the outer edge of the movement.

KctypDW.jpg

Line up the dial and press onto the movement.

Q6dSg04.jpg

Now we need to put the hands on. In the time set position set the movement forward until the date just snaps over. That is midnight. Now we set the hands. I use brass tweezers as they are less likely to scratch the hands.

E4ed4LB.jpg

I have a hand setting tool but I still find a ball point pen insert to be the easiest way to set the hour hand. I set the other two with the hand set tool.

DABk2hw.jpg

So now we need to case the movement and trim the stem.

Put the retaining ring on the stand, position the movement and drop the case over it.

8foNQ3T.jpg

Now flip it over, reinsert the stem, and put in the movement holder screws and tabs.

xtqcHt6.jpg

Now I need to measure the stem. In the winding position I press down on the crown and measure the distance between the bottom of the crown and the top of the case.

Rlib5Dk.jpg

I take that much off the stem, apply blue locktite to the threads and screw on the crown, and reinsert it. Silicon grease on the back oring and screw the back on. Bam you are done!

JU4ZX1g.jpg

Purdy, ain't it? In my opinion, the best money you can spend on an upgrade is a gen dial. I care nothing about a gen crystal or crown, you get pretty low payback on those. But a dial really pops

Its not just gen dials you will have the dial feet problem with. Yuki dials usually come with dial feet in the gen position so you end up clipping them off. All their hands that come with the dials are also for gen movements. Request to buy the dials without hands, its cheaper and the hands are useless.

Last edited:

Rush

Content Contributor
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks for posting this.
I honestly admit that I'm more of a collector of watches, and I do not know how to build one.
Is this a skill that you learned, or is your trade as a watchsmith?
Great educational review for we noobs!

OP
NCRich

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
Thanks for posting this.
I honestly admit that I'm more of a collector of watches, and I do not know how to build one.
Is this a skill that you learned, or is your trade as a watchsmith?
Great educational review for we noobs!
Watchsmith? I'm a college prof. Three years ago I got tired of not being able to fix my own watches so I took some apart and learned. Then I decided that this hobby would be more fun if I could make what I wanted rather than be satisfied with what was offered. So I read all the tutorials and started playing. I enjoy playing with watches more than wearing them as it is a challenge. Anyone can do this if they have some patience and the desire to learn.

frederico

Diplomat
Diplomat
May 19, 2018
The Netherlands
I truly am jealous
Wonderful work
I ruined a lot just trying to do this kind of work
But this helps, so I struggle further
Thank you

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

OP