Had some American BBQ today... in the middle of nowhere, Japan

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Took a day off work completely for the first time in a few months. I'd heard about an "authentic American BBQ" place a 90 minute train ride up the coast... I was skeptical, but the pictures looked good enough to give it a shot.

My girlfriend was also skeptical that it would be worth the time/money (cost around $60 for the two of us together, round-trip), but she ended up being won over, too. She's never had American-style barbecue before, so I think this really blew her away. They also had great in-house barbecue sauces that she loved.

We got there about an hour before the entire restaurant was due to be rented out for a party, so it was completely empty. Everything was "Western" themed.

IMG_20180331_134527.jpg

My girlfriend didn't know anything on the menu and I was determined to get more than my money's worth for my day off and $60 in transportation... so I ordered a sampler set for each of us.

First up... chicken and cheese on saltines?

IMG_20180331_140402.jpg

It was ok... I mean, it was good, but definitely more "Japanese." The chicken was nice and savory and the rub they'd used on it had a nice long burn.

While I was still taking the picture for that, the onion rings and fries came, along with a side of chili. The onion rings were hand-made and fantastic -- not greasy at all, good batter consistency, and a generous, crunchy sweet onion on the inside. The fries were tossed in what tasted like the same rub as the chicken and went great with the chili. We also got a free side of cheese dip that went great with everything and helped take the edge off the burn.

IMG_20180331_140654.jpg

Next up was a sparerib and some brisket.

IMG_20180331_140749.jpg

I don't even know what to say to describe this -- the sparerib was easily in the top three I've ever had. Sauce on top was glazed on perfectly, the rub matched everything, and the meat was tender enough to pull straight off the bone. I've heard people talk about that before but I've never been lucky enough -- until now -- to have meat that literally just fell off the bone. It was absolutely fantastic and I loved it.

For some reason, my girlfriend got TWO spareribs on her plate, while I only had one... while I was eyeing hers, we got our next plates:

IMG_20180331_141457.jpg

Homemade coleslaw and more meat, of course. So amazingly tender and soft. The coleslaw was fantastic -- a rarity in Japan. It also had diced nuts in it, which I love. So much Japanese coleslaw is really just shredded cabbage with mayo, so I'm normally not a fan... but I wolfed it down.

The final plate was some dirty rice and more chicken:

IMG_20180331_142137.jpg

I've taken my girlfriend for soul food before (there's a place in Tokyo run by a couple from Mississippi and Louisana), so she's had dirty rice, but this was a bit different... a bit cleaner. :p

We were both getting full at this point, so we just boxed up most of it and brought it home.

I'm not going to say what I paid for this (meat is expensive in Japan), but I will say that it was very much worth it... some of the best barbecue I've had, period -- not just in Japan. Absolutely fantastic! It was a good day off.

Omegex

Mar 3, 2018
Essex,UK
That looks like great food. Not certain about chicken AND cheese together? Love the spelling of company on the card - COMPAMY.
So long as the two of you enjoyed it, then it was worth every penny spent including your travel costs.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Damn...

I like that!

Is your girlfriend flashing "signs"? ;)

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
That looks like great food. Not certain about chicken AND cheese together? Love the spelling of company on the card - COMPAMY.
So long as the two of you enjoyed it, then it was worth every penny spent including your travel costs.
Yeah, I was a bit weirded out by the chicken and cheese on crackers as an appetizer, too... but the rest was fantastic. I guess the cheese was supposed to take the bite off the spices -- Japanese people generally don't eat very spicy food.

Damn...

I like that!

Is your girlfriend flashing "signs"? ;)
Thanks!

Just the peace sign. :p

Reactions: WingNut and Omegex

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
So, I kid you not, just a few days ago--before reading this thread--I was having some chicken and was wondering what it would taste like with a slice of cheese. I"ll have to add a cracker.

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
@Scott I live in the heart of NC BBQ. I shudder to think of what you paid for that. Here is a menu here.

57Ed8Sk.jpg

Notice that the all you can eat family style served at your table is $11.24.

snjGGWE.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
@Scott I live in the heart of NC BBQ. I shudder to think of what you paid for that. Here is a menu here.

View attachment 13770

Notice that the all you can eat family style served at your table is $11.24.

View attachment 13772
I "liked" your post but I'm really internally cursing you. That looks amazing.

For a sample of the menu prices here, one rib (a single rib) is about $5.

Reactions: WingNut

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
I "liked" your post but I'm really internally cursing you. That looks amazing.

For a sample of the menu prices here, one rib (a single rib) is about $5.
I know, I looked up the menu online. That is some precious pork.

By contrast, a 2 pack of spare ribs at the Piggly Wiggly here in town is $1.89/lb. St. Louis style $1.79/lb, chicken quarters (dark) .49/lb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
My wife went to asian market, bought some ribs for 7 bux. Then marinated it. Better than restaurant for 7 bux.

Reactions: Scott

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
Sounds like an awesome day and you got to have a taste of home (or pretty close at least). The beef all looked amazing.

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
So, this is a staple here. Whole hog BBQ. This is my big grill, can handle about 110 lb. pig.

9lIUTW3.jpg

The whole grill.

2TV6x58.jpg

Generally served with a vinegar based sauce. It is best if you put the sauce in a Piggly Wiggly pancake syrup bottle. That is what it there on the right. I would assume this would feed about a 1000 people in Japan. 50-60 in Eastern NC. :)

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
@NCRich That looks gorgeous. Could you share your sauce recipe? Just looking at that makes me drool.