Horology Board Updates - Please Read

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
Hello Members. We just want to update everyone on tie updates and progress.

We have turned one year old recently, which is an achievement. We all hope to keep growing as a community, even at slow, steady steps.

Since we have launched, we went down once for a total of almost 24 hours, due to some hardware failure. We did resolve that quickly, and restored all data accordingly, with no noticeable change, except for that few hours of downtime, and we apologize. So far everything has been running smoothly.

As for the forum, we have made some changes. Our OS software, forum software and security have been upgraded to latest core software versions. This way, we are up to date and still running smoothly. We try to keep our site as secure as we possibly can.

As for the forum, we have added new features:

1. Bookmarks - Members can now bookmark threads to read at a later time

2. We disabled the Trader addon as we are replacing it with a better Feedback System. We also added a Reputation system, although it's running into some glitches in displaying (gonna sort this out in the next few days)

3. Question & Answer - All sections now has the feature of marking a thread as a question. This should make it easier for members to start threads and post questions. Not to worry, we will remain newbie friendly :)

4. Comments feature - you can now post a comment to a post, so the comment is posted inline to that particular post. This is a good way to keep the thread on topic.

5. Better Reactions - you can now react to posts, instead of a simple like

6. Images are cached locally - Images that have been attached or linked for other sites are cached locally. What this means is the threads won't lose the attached images when the source website hosting the image deletes it. Many times we see older threads with "X" for images because (insert image hosting site here) has deleted the image. Any posts with linked images will be stored locally preventing that.... but we would still recommend PixelsBin for uploading images.

7. Covers - We added a covers addon to allow thread starters to add an image or banner to the thread. We will continue add templates and pre generated covers in the next few days

8. Mark as Sold - Thread starters (original posters) can now mark their own threads as sold. There is a button at the top of the thread to mark it as such. This should allow members to self manage their sales threads.

9. Raffle Module - We have added this addon and will be implementing it in the next few days. This will be a welcome addon so members can raffle off pieces instead of selling them outright. There will of course be a guideline that will need to be followed. This will be available to Diplomats to create raffles, although all members will be allowed to join the ongoing raffles (unless explicitly defined be thread starter)

10. Additional Diplomat features - stay tuned

We will keep adding features as we aim to keep improving the site, without affecting load times and performance. We want this site to remain as user friendly and as usable as possible. If you guys have any suggestions just let us know by replying to this thread, or even PM any of the moderators.

Thank you again for the support this past year, and we hope to continue growing as a community of watch enthusiasts. We are not a replica forum -- WE ARE A HOROLOGY COMMUNITY!

--HB Staff

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
Wow all this stuff is really cool, things I wouldn't think of but are brilliant and #6 that's great because.....Well Experience shows.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Thanks for the continued work and upgrades...any news on the "vote" to have new posts at the top of the threads?

@muscles
@Thrasher

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
Thanks for the continued work and upgrades...any news on the "vote" to have new posts at the top of the threads?

@muscles
@Thrasher
I think that should be an option. One forum not ours is so hard to work with, You have to click your profile, then subscriptions to see your subscriptions then click to get active to top of list then put in last page number to get to last page..Maybe I'm lame but I cant figure that other place that use to be so good out anymore its sad but good for us.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
I think that should be an option. One forum not ours is so hard to work with, You have to click your profile, then subscriptions to see your subscriptions then click to get active to top of list then put in last page number to get to last page..Maybe I'm lame but I cant figure that other place that use to be so good out anymore its sad but good for us.
I think @muscles told me this software requires it to be defaulted to one way or the other...so it would not be a option, but "the way it is" so to speak...so we would need a consensus to make the change if muscles would agree...

Another forum I belong to has a preference in the settings to toggle from "linear-newest first", linear-oldest first", "threaded" and "Hybrid". I'm not complaining by any means, I just personally like to go to a thread and see the latest post at the beggining rather than have to page to the end.

OP
muscles

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. We are currently looki g for an option to make is per user configurable. However, staff is partial to trying out that change.

If the members are ok with it, then why not. :)

OP
muscles

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
Sorry I took down the poll as there is no option in xenforo to sort per thread per user. There are no available addons as well.

On the bright side, you can click jump to new post to take you automatically to the last unread post on the thread.