I MAY NEED MORE SEIKOS

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Wearing my Seiko Galante for the first time in quite a while.
It is like Credor, basically a Grand seiko.

I have many other watches The Boutique stuff with complications always feel a bit delicate and in need of regular ( and Expensive ) attention. Rolex always feel like an old car with a smelly pushrod engine. I suppose indelicate and rough would be a fair description of their engines. Not knocking Rolex , but the whole reason they never have display backs is that they would need to finish theri movements properly if they did.

However Seiko or indeed Grand seiko have such dedication to engineering perfection. You just know they will be running absolutely perfectly long after we have all "shuffled off this mortal coil "

I really think they take the cake as makers of the most solid and reliable watches.

36196267195_f1b4652c6d_b.jpg

16384746222_de8c49eeb4_b.jpg

16259555581_9d65a6a31e_b.jpg

16260564442_99c32da3f6_b.jpg

15641513033_cd77a02850_b.jpg

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
This is what I wrote about this watch on WUS in 2015 when I bought it

I will start by admitting that I have never before owned or paid attention to a Grand Seiko or anything parallel or above it from that manufacturer. I will admit also to being somewhat sceptical of reports about the extreme high quality of the GS product.
Today I took delivery of my Seiko Galante GMT . I am almost speechless. The second I laid eyes on it in the Laski Customs office near Bangkok, where I collected it upon its arrival from Tokyo I was barely able to speak.
Fortunately (Or otherwise) I have returned to my apartment in Bangkok and paused to examine the watch more closely and take a few photos and have recovered the power of speech.
OK to some it is an ugly pig of a watch. Yes I do get that. But the very important thing for me is that my Swiss watches look Swiss, my German watches have a distinct Teutonic aura. Anything designed in Italy must have that Italian, Latin almost feminine flair, as is the crucial difference between a wonderfully made German sports car and the idiosyncratic wonder of the Italian counterpart.

This watch is no clone, it is no wannabe Rolex or wannabe anything. It styling puts me in mind of Japanese art, Japanese cartoons. The feel makes me think of Haiku rather than any western literature. IT is above all other things original and very Japanese. Ok some will never live with that and that's fine. Personally I see the beauty in it because of the totality of its Japaneseness, that and something else. Craft. Craft is also very important to me. The watch is crafted magnificently. The detail finish is outstanding the architecture of the structure is logical and has great beauty from any angle. It is possible at all points in the watch to see a relationship between one aspect and another.

As for function it tells the time, the GMT function works well , similarly to a Rolex GMT in operation. It is accurate, very accurate. But I don't care any more about all of that than I do about value for money. If a watch is too expensive, then no-one buys it, if people buy it, then it must be cheap enough, otherwise they wouldn't.
The Galante sits majestically on the wrist . It is big and fat. It is unashamedly Asian, it makes no apology for being so. It makes no stylistic references to anything born outside of its island of creation.
I love it . It is a keeper. If Seiko make more truly Japanese watches and make them as well as this one, i will be looking to own another.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlanetZoom