JF 16610 and GEN tube

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Liferobber

Jul 16, 2018
Hi, I got new account, Since the old account was not active...
Thanks for welcoming me again, This is my first topic.

I decided to build a 16610.

I bought JF No-Rehaut to the base case, Then I decomposed it apart and measured the size of each part.
First, In my opinion the tube should not be changed...lol
However in my case, the tube that was sturdy with instantaneous adhesive could not be removed easily,
so it was the most injured hindrance.

I'm very lucky to have few GEN tubes in my stock. I had rework to replace to JF case.
Some guys says GEN tube has M3-0.35 thread cutting. But it is a mistaken recognition.
Real GEN tube has M3-0.25 thread... I decided to process GEN tube side with mini lathe.

LEFT: JF defected / RIGHT: GEN used
IMG_2907.jpg
REP tube's bottom shape is deferent from GEN.
GEN has a step to fall into the case, I think experienced guys well knew, ST case has step but is protruding.
And the part to become the ground contact surface of the case is thick.

1, Scrape down the step.
IMG_2890.jpg
2, Make M3-0.35 thread to fit JF case. *JF has 0.35 thread.
IMG_2900.jpg
LEFT: GEN without processing / RIGHT: GEN processed lathe and thread cutting.

I noticed where I replaced, but the position of the crown is high at JF case. Maybe it is about 0.3mm.
LEFT: early 16610 / RIGHT: JF
IMG_2905.jpg

I should add a processing for the case side.
My next issue...

Last edited:
Reactions: MrE

TickleShoes

Mar 8, 2018
The gen threading is actually 3.0x.30. I have the actual Rolex tap and tube tools. Also, I lathe the crown shoulder down like you but retap the case instead of cutting the tube threads.

Good job

f7b00b41fc05e5f04259499ff02b76e4.jpg

03464c04613bc5624b2ebf8566e12be4.jpg

Reactions: MrE and Liferobber
OP
Liferobber

Liferobber

Jul 16, 2018
TickleShoes,

Thanks for great reply. Wow, You have a good tools !

I will explain the circumstances of the matter.
First, I already have 0.035 tap.
0.5 is very popular, 0.35 is unusual but available.
0.25 exists but custom made. *I ordered for machine tool manufacturer, It's gonna be finished within this month.
I have never heard of a 0.30 tap ! I intended to measure the number of teeth seriously, but it sounds like my mistake
Even if I do not use it, I will find out and buy it.

Every guys said Gen tube used M3-0.35 at every forum, but that was a BIG mistake.
Nobody seemed to know the truth...

BTW, finally I fixed the high position of the crown reworked for case side.
JF case is little high, I made it my assignment in the first post.
It's very difficult to make that keep flat, But well done.
*The image is before polishing.

IMG_2915.jpg

Gen is left side. JF's O ring is narrow.
IMG_2927.jpg

Reactions: MrE

tribal

Feb 26, 2018
So, I installed a lot of gen Tubes in the past. Gen cases has a countersink tubehole to fit the tube.
The tap is 3 x 0,35 that's fact.
You can read it in the technical Dokumentations.
I think it's better to countersink the case instead to work on the tube, because there is not much material on the thread side of the tube.

Gesendet von meinem MI 4S mit Tapatalk

OP
Liferobber

Liferobber

Jul 16, 2018
So, I installed a lot of gen Tubes in the past. Gen cases has a countersink tubehole to fit the tube.
The tap is 3 x 0,35 that's fact.
You can read it in the technical Dokumentations.
OK, Thanks for comment.
First, I read some techs, then I tried. I also have early W serial 16610.
I have a 3X0.35 tap trusted MIJ is 100% same with REP JF case thread.
I'm not sure about TC, I have no luck to have it.
*I am familiar with machining on business.
And, I also have a dice to male screw thread 3X.0.35, I tried to re-work GEN tube,
THAT'S deferent thread. After that, It was 100% fit for JF *Add an image to the proof. My project was done !
IMG_3063.jpg

OP
Liferobber

Liferobber

Jul 16, 2018
No. It’s not. The Rolex parts catalog says 3.05x.30. I have the Rolex rap ordered from the Rolex tools department and it doesn’t match a 3.0x.35. How many ways can I prove you wrong?
Great ! This is exactly what I wanted to see. It's very helpful for me and other REP hobbyist.
Yup, I confirmed that the GEN tube was NOT 0.35 !

BTW, I already purchased 3x0.30 tap. I will go next project at next month... When they are completed, I will post a rework using a lathe...Case back, tube and Bezel ring.

Thanks for share the great images !