My next Omega project; hint is black and white

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

NaviChief

Jun 15, 2019
I've been on this board for 10 minutes, and I'm liking what I'm seeing! Great mix of gen and rep information and threads. I look forward to contributing here as well.

I'd like to share my next project, for which the first part arrived yesterday.

First lets see if anyone can guess what this will become?

VFYG6a.jpg

Flyin_gnome

Content Contributor
Jan 22, 2019
Idaho, USA
I've been on this board for 10 minutes, and I'm liking what I'm seeing! Great mix of gen and rep information and threads. I look forward to contributing here as well.

I'd like to share my next project, for which the first part arrived yesterday.

First lets see if anyone can guess what this will become?

View attachment 38762
The next watch I'm going to buy off of you after missing the Seamaster?

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Welcome...looking forward to your projects...

OP
N

NaviChief

Jun 15, 2019
The next watch I'm going to buy off of you after missing the Seamaster?
sorry about that seamaster, bud...also this one won't ever be for sale. I'm putting this together as a birth year Speedmaster for my son; due in November.

Welcome! Nice splash, panda speedmaster?
Correct about the panda speedmaster. It is a Mitsukoshi dial. I've got the matching silver hands on the way, as well as a brand new Speedmaster from Jomashop. Typically I would have bought used as cheaply as possible but this had to be a 2019 model, and with the eBay cash back from last week, it was $3238. Used would not have been much cheaper.

Just quick for those that don't know about Mitsukoshi Speedmasters...in 2003 Omega and the Mitsukoshi department store in Japan put out 300 limited edition Speedmasters with a panda dial and silver hands. The rest of the case and movement are standard. Only the serial numbers identify it as one of the 300. The originals come up rarely for sale and are now $20k+.

Omega manufactures extra dials and hand sets to service those original ones when they come back in. Well, those dials and hands started making their way out into the public, and so we have "Mitsukoshi modded" regular speedmasters. Apparently the parts supply is finally drying up, and prices are climbing accordingly.

In the end, it will look like this:

VSypxG.jpg

Welcome...looking forward to your projects...
Thank you

Flyin_gnome

Content Contributor
Jan 22, 2019
Idaho, USA
Just flipping you shit. I love the Mitsukoshi dial speedys. I wouldn't sell it either, also congrats on the little one that's on the way. My 7 year old loves watches and has already laid claim to some of mine.

Reactions: NaviChief

SinSir

Watchaholic
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
Chicago
Congratulations on expecting a son! That is an excellent idea! What a steal on a new speedmaster. Thats the right choice hands down.

No surprise, I'm a huge speedmaster fan myself. I'm building one now. I was torn between building a Mitsukoshi or Gemini but in the end went standard as this is my first speedmaster build and took the right parts as they came along. Of course since I've seen the parts for the other ones come up in budget and thought about it. But figure I can always do another! I should do it sooner than later though as parts are getting more scarce. Luckily I still have some good connections for Omega parts.

I look forward to more project details...

Reactions: NaviChief
OP
N

NaviChief

Jun 15, 2019
I love the Gemini as well. A dial was on sale on the forums for $500 or 600 not too long ago. Hard part would be getting the caseback, which is so cool on that model. The Omega parts connection would really help there!

A couple fully built Mitsukoshi mods went fairly cheap on the forums this week, it made me curse my birth year idea.

Tambowatches on ebay really puts together some interesting modded speedies. They have one modded with an original snoopy dial and caseback now for $7k. They always have Italian Albino dials, pandas, etc.

There are also the Olympic 2020 series now that brought back all of those color schemes. Personally I think that makes the Mitsu and Gemini a little less special, which is sad.

I went from zero speedies to now 3 in 6 months. I wanted one ever since getting into watches. Bought a sapphire for my first son's birth year, then a 40th anniversary Apollo 11 for way under market, and finally this incoming one. I think the problem is that I was so intensely following the market, that now I can spot the deals and have trouble passing them up.

33292644848_2118611431_h.jpg

47037709871_2654ceb2d0_h.jpg