Need tips on crystal reposition

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
Hi guys, is more than one year and an half that I’n in this hobby and started to do by myself some works on my watches.
One of the thinks I hate most, is a not perfect centered dial and a wrong positioned crystal with his cyclope.

If is an easy fix for the first problem (just open the case and turn the movement a little) doing the same for the crystal looks to me not so simple.

I opened this thread to find hints and instructions about tools and how to use them to remove and install the crystal.

I looked on youtube and other site, but I thought that a new thread here could also help this comunity to grow.

I have to do this work on a TC 16610, it comes from TC with the crystal slightly turned on the right and my eyes always look at this not perfect alignment of cyclope and date hole...

Can someone help?

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
I’ve done this a couple times, I have just popped crystal back out and repositioned/pressed back in place. Sometimes I get lucky on first try but others I have done 2-3 times to get position right. I’m assuming you have a press tool with proper dies.

Rich D

Mar 21, 2018
Corona, CA
I’ve done this a couple times, I have just popped crystal back out and repositioned/pressed back in place. Sometimes I get lucky on first try but others I have done 2-3 times to get position right. I’m assuming you have a press tool with proper dies.
Note; When placing crystal for pressing I use the crown tube as point of reference.

HorFan

Todor!
Diplomat
Feb 12, 2018
Make a sticky ball of duct tape, sticky side out, same as you would to open a case back. Press this against the crystal, apply a bit of pressure, turn, and you should be able to adjust the seating and correct the alignment.

Reactions: Rich D
OP
G

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
First of all, thanks for the answers :)
Note; When placing crystal for pressing I use the crown tube as point of reference.
And that's the way I would like to do. I've not a press tool at the moment and want to buy one, but would like to understand before what I need to do.
On the 16610 I will remove the bezel... and? Need to remove the bezel assembly and later the crystal? If yes, in wich way the assembly can be removed, I need other tools?
To remove the crystal I have to press from the other side or will pop out easily?

More nerve racking than this is trying to glue a cyclops into position on a completed watch!!
I also thought that, but I'm dealing with a gen crystal and don't want to mess up :)

Make a sticky ball of duct tape, sticky side out, same as you would to open a case back. Press this against the crystal, apply a bit of pressure, turn, and you should be able to adjust the seating and correct the alignment.
Really? It works on a 16610 case? I mean, with the gasket for impermeability, it can be done?
Maybe I can use the plastic ball also used for open the case back instead of a ball of duct tape?

Nivka

Content Contributor
Feb 19, 2018
I replaced the stock crystal with a prof black hole on my tc. Take the bezel assembly off. The hardest part was getting the retaining ring off. I needed to use a couple of razor blades and wedged them in between the midcase then finally used a caseback opener to pry it off. From there it’s pretty much intuitive

OP
G

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
I replaced the stock crystal with a prof black hole on my tc. Take the bezel assembly off. The hardest part was getting the retaining ring off. I needed to use a couple of razor blades and wedged them in between the midcase then finally used a caseback opener to pry it off. From there it’s pretty much intuitive
thank you mate.
Maybe the bezel removal tool could help?
81wUjz6Vs-L._UX466_.jpg

Nivka

Content Contributor
Feb 19, 2018
thank you mate.
Maybe the bezel removal tool could help?
View attachment 16813
Lol yes that would help

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
Hi guys, is more than one year and an half that I’n in this hobby and started to do by myself some works on my watches.
One of the thinks I hate most, is a not perfect centered dial and a wrong positioned crystal with his cyclope.

If is an easy fix for the first problem (just open the case and turn the movement a little) doing the same for the crystal looks to me not so simple.

I opened this thread to find hints and instructions about tools and how to use them to remove and install the crystal.

I looked on youtube and other site, but I thought that a new thread here could also help this comunity to grow.

I have to do this work on a TC 16610, it comes from TC with the crystal slightly turned on the right and my eyes always look at this not perfect alignment of cyclope and date hole...

Can someone help?
https://www.horologyboard.com/threads/complete-bezel-spacer-click-spring-insert-and-crystal-removal-and-installation-for-rolex-5-subs.1274/