Netflix / Altered Carbon / Marvel TV thread (spoilers abound)

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I was a big fan of the book, so I've been watching the show on my commute... I'm a bit disappointed they decided to make the Envoys a terrorist group and can't help but wonder if that was a choice to make it more "relevant" or something.

One of the most satisfying things about the books for me is that seemingly irrelevant details that are mentioned early on are brought up again later in the book, and then again prove to actually be plot points. It was like a way to experience the Envoy intuition as a reader despite being a normal human. :p

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I saw this on the Netflix list. After watching the trailer, I will probably check it out. Just finished watching Jessica Jones season one.

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I saw this on the Netflix list. After watching the trailer, I will probably check it out. Just finished watching Jessica Jones season one.
That was really brutal. I'm glad I watched it but I don't think I'll ever watch it again and I'm really on the fence about watching the second season when it comes out.

David Tennant was also amazing; I'm not quite sure I'll ever be able to see him as the tenth Doctor in the same way ever again, despite him being my favorite.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
That was really brutal. I'm glad I watched it but I don't think I'll ever watch it again and I'm really on the fence about watching the second season when it comes out.

David Tennant was also amazing; I'm not quite sure I'll ever be able to see him as the tenth Doctor in the same way ever again, despite him being my favorite.
Yeah, it was pretty dark. I suspect the second season will delve more into that IGH group. I'm interested in checking out Luke Cage now. I really liked him in the show.

Tennant did a great job at playing a creepy villain.

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Luke Cage was fantastic, loved the music they had in it too -- that's one thing they've really been knocking out of the park in general. Really looking forward to more DD as well.

Iron Fist... needs work. The writing was some of the worst I'd seen and all of the fighting was absolutely hideous.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I couldn't stand Iron Fist. I'm not sure how I made it through the season.

DD is also on my list.

Did you see Defenders? I wasn't sure if I could watch it since IF is in it. It was ok, not great. I found it worth watching because I like the DD, LC and JJ characters.

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I couldn't stand Iron Fist. I'm not sure how I made it through the season.

DD is also on my list.

Did you see Defenders? I wasn't sure if I could watch it since IF is in it. It was ok, not great. I found it worth watching because I like the DD, LC and JJ characters.
I actually gave up on Iron Fist around episode 8 or 9, it was just so bad. It's a real shame too since modern Iron Fist is incredibly interesting; Marvel had a great chance to do something interesting despite it being "a white guy taking a minority role" but absolutely fumbled.

I saw the Defenders -- I figure three out of four isn't bad. Danny Rand was terrible every scene he was in, but overall it was ok. The plot really got a C+ from me though but was forgiveable since we finally got to see everyone together and it moved along the DD Born Again storyline.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I actually gave up on Iron Fist around episode 8 or 9, it was just so bad. It's a real shame too since modern Iron Fist is incredibly interesting; Marvel had a great chance to do something interesting despite it being "a white guy taking a minority role" but absolutely fumbled.

I saw the Defenders -- I figure three out of four isn't bad. Danny Rand was terrible every scene he was in, but overall it was ok. The plot really got a C+ from me though but was forgiveable since we finally got to see everyone together and it moved along the DD Born Again storyline.
Good news is Netflix renewed DD for a 3rd season and LC for a 2nd season.

Shockingly, a second season of IF was "ordered." I don't know if "ordered" is supposed to mean something different than "renewed."

I don't know about Defenders, but would definitely watch a second season of that.

I haven't checked out The Punisher yet. You?

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018

Shockingly, a second season of IF was "ordered." I don't know if "ordered" is supposed to mean something different than "renewed."

I don't know about Defenders, but would definitely watch a second season of that.

Ordered is the same as renewed.

I really hope the extended break between seasons gives the writers time to hammer together something more reasonable and Finn Jones more time to brush up on the physical part... or maybe they'll put him in the traditional mask so that stuntmen can do the fighting properly. They really need to fix that up.

DD is almost certainly going to be the Born Again storyline, which will be fantastic. No clue what they'll do for Luke Cage.

I loved The Punisher; it was a great story, did a decent job of dealing with veterans and PTSD, and set up a long-term Punisher villain.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
They renewed The Punisher for a second season. Looks like I have some catching up to do.

Reactions: Scott

Fiddo

Follow the Light
Diplomat
Jan 30, 2018
Started watching Altered Carbon yesterday. I have never read the books. So, can't offer any comparison. The story seems interesting, so far.
Iron fist---- Yeah, what y'all are saying. I agree.
DD- Have not watched, yet.
Jessica Jones--- A little dark. But, my favorite.
Defenders--- It was OK.
Punisher--- Good portrayal.
Luke Cage--- Like it, overall.

Reactions: Scott and PACCBET

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
I saw the trailer and might watch it. Looks intriguing.

Raddave

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Jan 16, 2018
if i get some time this weekend , im gonna try to watch that carbon show , it does look cool !

Reactions: Scott

bkg!

Jan 5, 2018
I just finished watching it last night. Never read the books but the show was good, despite some of the holes in the story. Good concept and I like where they took it.

Netflix have been knocking out great stuff recently. Really enjoyed DD and punisher. Also really enjoyed that Will Smith movie, Bright. There have been lots of great shows. Season 1 of Glitch was brilliant, but season 2 was very weak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jeane123 and Scott
OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Also really enjoyed that Will Smith movie, Bright.

I liked Bright a lot too, heard they already greenlit a second one. I really wish Will Smith could get back in his groove or that writers/directors would let him do that, it feels like he's been delivering a lot of weirdly sub-par performances relative to what we know he can do. He's charismatic as hell, use that, guys!