New Ginault Ocean Rover II Details and Specs

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Oris

Public Figure
Ambassador
Jan 29, 2018
Australia
Here are first details of the Ocean Rover II.

Please excuse the quality of the screencaps; these images were downloaded from a post on a Facebook discussion group.

The main differences appear to be:

1) The introduction of Swiss SW200 movements.
2) Triple layer AR coated flat or domed crystals and the option of date mag for both domed and flat crystals on date models.
3) An engraved ceramic 'Sea-Dweller' style 60 minute graduated bezel insert.
4) A new 'quattro-coil' bezel ratcheting system, which sounds like the system used on ceramic Subs.
5) A slightly improved and revised bracelet and clasp

Retail and pre-order pricing are discussed in the last screencap.
The concerns many have expressed about a lack of Swiss movements for the price have been addressed with the Sellita.
It'll be interesting to see how traditional 5 digit dimensions look with the new ceramic bezel inserts, and to see how the watch goes on to present 'in the metal'.

1K2jFt1zl4mbve0nUFZd7rG3fOgu90X4am8ig=w960-h784-no.jpg

i3kPagd3t1b1wnQ1nMIwc9bXt7n4cyNURlXoQ=w636-h162-no.jpg

zHrPJkwDgc_PttfQN4b31rcxHwShRvwKgnP3U=w727-h969-no.jpgW8Xn1NF6X_OxlYGviSRR1wSABU0wqouZoyQFY=w727-h969-no.jpgYrt-QzRJMW_EIFt-n-ElNzO40scvIDqI6WPz8=w727-h969-no.jpg

Last edited:

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
I will have to see some better pictures and while these are by far the best Sub Homage watches out there it's hard for me to forgive TC for killing the TC sub. There where a few people ready to take over, buy his parts suppliers and continue the TC line but he just blew them off. The people who wanted to take over the brand where not children and had the money and experience to continue

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
I love the no date sand lume...I'm not sure about a ceramic bezel on a retro Submariner case, I hope they continue to offer the standard aluminum insert with Sub markings. Totally welcome the AR especially if its equal to the quality of what Prof Steve does, but if the AR is like VSF then it will scratch easily as I learned on my new VSF A8500 45.5mm PO....Really only I can see the scratch with a 10X loupe but I know its there. I'm also happy for the movement....But the price is a bit high I think...But then again if you really wanted a nice watch and weren't crazy like most of us..This would be the watch.. https://ginault.com/ocean-rover-181875/

Reactions: Oris

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
@Oris can you repost the images sir. Looks like they were deleted from source. I made changes in backend so we cache linked images locally.

Reactions: Oris
OP
Oris

Oris

Public Figure
Ambassador
Jan 29, 2018
Australia
@Oris can you repost the images sir. Looks like they were deleted from source. I made changes in backend so we cache linked images locally.
Done - working for me now.
Hopefully for you too.

Further, here's a question & answer from Ginault about the forthcoming release of the ORII

Q: Why the move to a Swiss movement? Isn't the CAL7275 your calling card?
A: The move to SW200-1 is a business decision. Machining and assembling a CAL7275 takes long hours. For the past two years, we almost outgrew our production capability. Using SW200-1 helps us solve this bottleneck issue and helps us deal with current/future demand increase. Also since 99% of the members want a Swiss movement instead our own, we figured why not? Give the people what they want.

Q: I really like the idea of the blue ceramic insert but I can't tell much from the render. Is it matte or glossy? What if I changed my mind after seeing photos of the actual watch?
A: The ceramic texture is going to be similar to the modern 6-digit Submariner. We will try to make the blue a darker blue like what you see on our blue aluminum iteration. And you are welcome to make changes to your pre-order after seeing photos of the actual prototypes.

Q: Will it be possible to send in our current models for a ceramic insert? That would be AWESOME/EXCELLENT!
A: In order to mount our ceramic insert you will need the gen II bezel assembly. And to support the gen II bezel assembly you will need a gen II case. Just the parts alone will cost over $700.

Q: Why the ORII? With your production capability why not a whole new design? Feel like just an expensive facelift.
A: Some may think OR II is just some marketing gimmick with marginal spec upgrade to a ceramic insert. But that is really not the case. Under its unassuming look, the OR II is packed with heavy technical and production innovation. Basically, we took this iconic pre-ceramic case/bezel design (which many favor over the new maxi case) and figured out how to modernized the inside while faithfully allowing the outside to remain untouched. It is really "more than meets the eye"

Q: John, I really want to secure a spot during phase1 but I don't have the full amount. Can I make a deposit first?
A: Yes you can. The original goal was to make the pre-order process as easy and as simple as possible for both parties. But we understand some may not have the funds upfront. If this is something that works better for you send us an email, and we can set it up for you.