New member - Radium in old watches question

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Susanne

Apr 11, 2020
Does anyone know how to go about determining if an old watch contains radium besides using a Geiger counter? I've read that the use of radium paint in watches was phased out in the 1950s and 1960s and stopped completely in 1968. I have a Bulova Accutron watch that belonged to my grandfather and was manufactured in 1966, according to the engraving/stamp on the back. It doesn't appear to have painted hands/numerals and there are no markings that would suggest whether or not it would contain radium. Any ideas? I certainly don't want it if it contains something hazardous, but if it doesn't, then I would like to keep it.

Rx4Time

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 23, 2017
The easiest thing to do first is to take a black light and hold it over the dial. If there's any luminescent material, whether radium or tritium, you'll see that part of the dial fluoresce and once the black light is removed it will glow for a second or two before it fades. Radium will glow much brighter and tritium may not glow at all considering the age of the watch under a black light. Oftentimes there will be an indication on the dial of the watch if it contained radium which would usually be indicated by a little R with a circle around it, a Ra or a T for tritium. The lack of any such indication of course is not a guarantee. Considering your watch is a 1966 model and they started phasing out radium in the late 50s through early 60s the odds are it's a tritium dial which is fine, or possibly a luminova dial as there were some Bulova released in the early 60s with this safe alternative, such as the space view. Can you post some pictures of the watch?

Dan71

Jul 13, 2018
For what i understand months ago is not possible understand with the appearance of the lume if Is radium or not . The lume can still light up or not ..
The only way is to check with a Geiger .
I have check my old trench watch at the local fireman office. You can ask for an appointment they have all the best tools for this measurement.

OP
S

Susanne

Apr 11, 2020
Cannot get my photo to post. It has a gold face and gold numbers and hands on the dial. I believe it is this model. No R or Ra marking anywhere that I can see.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 23, 2017
Cannot get my photo to post. It has a gold face and gold numbers and hands on the dial. I believe it is this model. No R or Ra marking anywhere that I can see.

The link you sent I do not see any indication on the dial of a "T" indicating tritium. if you can upload a picture of your watch with focus on the 6 oclock position that would help. 1966 I highly doubt it would be radium as that was phased out by then. Tritium tends to degrade and turn a tanish brown over time and sometimes flakes. Odds are it's a old luminova varitant which may or may not still have ability to glow. to attach a picture, click on the attach files link below and select the photo to upload then insert it into the text.