Noob 4130 arrived

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Arrived today thanks to the wonderful efficiency of Trusty

I have been waiting some time for this. In the waiting process I have seen quite a few photos and heard much criticism.

Many of the photos are of the Gold case model and therefore not representative as the cases are completely different.
I believe also many of the photos have been of very early production and pre production models. I think during the months that these have been trickling out to the TDs there have been some improvements along the way
I say this because on the one I have just received , I see little validation for much of the criticism I have been reading.

Firstly in principal the watch is revolutionary. It is a seriously complicated column wheel , vertical clutch chronograph. It is faithfully replicated and functions in exactly the same way as the gen movement. I received the watch yesterday and took it straight to my watch smith. He took the movement out and inspected it. He knows the 4130 well.

He was truly amazed to see this movement and said that the level of finish was not very far behind the original movement. Different but not seriously inferior. He maintains without measurement to verify, that the majority of parts will be interchangeable. Yes the balance is different, but then why put a free sprung balance in a watch which doesn't need it. They are only more accurate if they are set up perfectly by a very experienced watchmaker or as I suspect in the case of Rolex, by a machine. So no benefit in that.

What is so valuable about producing the clone 4130 in this way is that a column wheel vertical clutch chronograph doesn't work like a modular chrono nor a cam operated lateral clutch chrono. Therefore any rep without this movement will not feel the same at all.
Also by this replication we not only have a Daytona rep which functions and feels like the gen, we have correct thickness and a power reserve of over 70 hours

To say this is a breakthrough in the rep world would be a major understatement.

I believe it is reasonable to say that the rep world, being the highly free market competitive world that it is, will from here on up its game to the bar which Noob have massively lifted.

To the watch.

No it isn't perfect. It is a rep and reps never are, especially when we assault them with pro lighting and super Hi def 36 MP full frame cameras and present cropped photos showing the watch at up to 5 times its actual size.

The dial is great but not perfect. The case IMHO is as good as it gets If you are SEL obsessed they are good If you are not they are perfect.

The main thing is that the watch doesn't feel significantly different from a gen. I have owned 6 or 7 Gen 4130 Daytonas as well as a couple of Zenith driven Daytonas.
Wearing and operating this Noob, does not feel significantly different.

Here are some quick photos They can speak for the watch. I will take more over time and bore you all with them be assured.

Frankly Hat off to Noob . A great job and a fantastic advancement in the art.

29509583138_11537fba9c_b.jpg

42663165394_f219ee4286_b.jpg

43436146411_f65b1202d4_b.jpg

42475436855_957d7523b0_b.jpg

29509518008_a975de9a52_b.jpg

29509525578_2f067516d5_b.jpg

42663720494_0321467839_b.jpg

Last edited:

WatchnScotch

Content Contributor
Dec 26, 2017
Your pictures are beautiful. Reps have come such a long ways since I got into them, it is extremely impressive. It will be interesting to see how the movement holds up.

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Left it in the watch box for 3 days. Got it out, still running and within 30 sec of correct time. Chrono pushers smooth as silk like a gen. Totally NWBIG Don't waste your money on a Gen. Noob have nailed it!

42911687224_3680b5a7c7_b.jpg

GMTG0D

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
Congrats. For the purists that were waiting for working chronos and correct thickness this is indeed a breakthrough. Enjoy it, looks great.

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I'm so tempted but I don't know if wait for a new batch or take this...

There is always a new batch. When the new batch comes there will be another new batch. The watch is amazing, buy it, you won't be dissapointed.

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
There is always a new batch. When the new batch comes there will be another new batch. The watch is amazing, buy it, you won't be dissapointed.
you perfectly right... But I was hoping for a new batch to arrive soon with 904L steel... :(

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Great little write up. In your opinion is the black dial or white dial closer to gen?
I think the white dial is closer, especially since it has been improved along the way. This also seems to be the popular consensus.