OM JLC Triple Date moon

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Just arrived today from Andrew at Trusty.

This is an interesting watch. A rep needs to be two things for me. First it must be a great watch, then it needs to be at least a good rep, even better if it is a great rep, which this one by a small detail misses being, mor of that later.

The watch is great. when it arrived I took it straight to my watch smith, I had to go there anyway . Hi popped the movement out and had a good look. Great work he says. Nicely built clean and well lubed. The module is an exact copy of a Dubois Depraz triple date Moon module. So it is a well designed 59 tooth moon phase with day, month and hand date (unfortunately also 24 hr dial at 6 o clock more about that later)
Incidentaly one of the usual moans about the Miyota 9015 is the noisy rotor. This is due to the fact that it winds only in one direction. In itself this is one of the reasons it is so reliable and will probably out live most of its owners. However if well lubed it isn't a big problem.

Why is it a great watch?

The case is beautifully made and superbly finished as is the dial.
The hands are perfect and the CP is capped
The triple date functions work perfectly as does the date and moon.

If you want a great watch which will not be a time bomb this is it. the Miyota 9015 is bullet proof and infinitely serviceable The triple date module will give you no trouble. It is intrinsically a very well proven and reliable design and it is cleanly put together using very well finished parts.

The watch looks amazing and is a joy to wear.

It is 39mm 12mm thick and lug width is 20mm

As a rep it falls a little short of perfection

In every way it is a super rep except for the following shortcomings

The rehaut is about 0.7mm too deep. The reason for this is JLCs obsession with slimness dictates that their CPs are very short allowing for a very shallow rehaut . This is not possible with the taller hand stack of the Miyota 9015 after the module has been added dial side. It has been extended to accomodate the hand date.
This alone is barely detectable.

The dial, fonts hands etc are super rep standard.

The problem which stops this being a super rep is that the small seconds at 6, although faithfully marked as seconds are in fact a 24 hour dial.
This is an instant tell as the second hand appears stationary.

I love the watch and will wear it. Mostly because it is truly a great watch and by any standards extremely good value for money.

43181687465_f08be684f1_b.jpg

29150722937_4c28124d56_b.jpg

44088339651_16f5d0ca05_b.jpg

44088310221_a2c486a309_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Damn that is awesome
It is one of the nicest rep watches I have ever bought. Such a shame about the second hand, but the watch is so great in every other way I find myself ignoring that and wearing it anyway.

PACCBET

не за горами
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Canada
It is one of the nicest rep watches I have ever bought. Such a shame about the second hand, but the watch is so great in every other way I find myself ignoring that and wearing it anyway.
It seems like a well-made watch anyway. I've been thinking of getting a nice dress watch for a long time but I just keep on buying similar watches..

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Great write-up.

Looks like I'm adding another watch to the To Buy list.

@Timnic54 , how do you like it compared to other recent great JLC rep, the ultra thin moon?

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
It is in some ways even nicer than the MUT in other ways not as good.
As a watch it is magnificent, insanely good. If you want to have a great watch for almost no money this is the one. The almost staionary second hand is a huge tell, so technically as a rep it is not good. Personally I would never try to pass the watch off as gen so I don't care abot the second hand.
It is truly a joy to own and should be an embarrassment to all major watch companies. I have owned many JLC Gens (photo of some of them )

7670167124_d334d152c9_b.jpg

Truthfully it doesn't feel any different.

44088310221_a2c486a309_b.jpg