Opening the can...

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
OK...

I may be hanging my ass out there but I feel the need...

The question is...

Are you obsessed with reps...or gens...

And the next thing is...gens...

Not high end units...I'm sure we would all love to own a Rolex. Omega, etc...and maybe you do...

I for one buy and wear watches that I like...no matter where they come from...

Is there a prejudice against any brands...? And if so...why?

I ask only because I really like a watch for what it is and how it presents on the wrist.

I'll admit I can be a bit gaudy...LOL

OP
WingNut

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
No response?? Maybe this....Bulava2.jpg

I'm surprised...

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I like to wear watches I like, whether or not anyone else likes them and whether they are rep or gen. If I can get close enough for my liking for a fraction of the price, I’ll buy a rep over a gen.

Fiddo

Follow the Light
Diplomat
Jan 30, 2018
@WingNut

I wear what I like. I would say my philosophy is similar to yours.

I even have several Invictas!

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I like watches. I don't care if they are made by a Swiss company who are pretending to be a watch company which actually died and ceased production for decades, or a Chinese maker doing his best to do the same thing.

I get pissed If I have bought an expensive Swiss watch and then find a Chinese Rep which is not significantly different in any way. Then I usually sell the gen and keep the Rep. Hence the term NWBIG.

I don't care a hoot what anyone else thinks, no one ever looks any way. That goes for watches and anything else in life.

Example .

I would feel a tit if I spent thousands on a Franck Muller 8880 . The Rep is actually better finished and both have simple ETA 28XX.

Reactions: cpd2186

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Is there a prejudice against any brands...? And if so...why?
I'm good with reps and gens, but I really don't like "gens" that blatantly rip off something. I suppose that's weird given that I like reps, but a "brand" that consists of ripoffs isn't a brand at all... just someone who doesn't have the guts to sell a rep.

Example: https://www.wancher.com/watch/extreme-gmt/black

Reactions: cpd2186
OP
WingNut

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
I'm good with reps and gens, but I really don't like "gens" that blatantly rip off something. I suppose that's weird given that I like reps, but a "brand" that consists of ripoffs isn't a brand at all... just someone who doesn't have the guts to sell a rep.

Example: https://www.wancher.com/watch/extreme-gmt/black
Well you know what they say...

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Pretty sure that will always be the case...but yes...you don't have to like it.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
That reminds me of when Taco Bell ran ads featuring real people named Ronald McDonald enjoying their food.

McDonald's responded with a post on Facebook saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and this pic:

mcdonalds-taco-bell-01-2014.png