Post your vintage pieces

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
When I was 12 years old my Grandfather died, we were close. I had great love and respect for him. In the late 50s he had bought a gold manual wind Omega. I loved it . It was given to me.
As I said, I was twelve. I didn't look after the watch and within a year or so it went missing. Much later, in my 20s I was gutted and felt guilty to this very day ( I am now 63) that I respected my Grandfather so much, yet I failed to look after that wonderful watch that he left me, even though I loved watches at the time. I guess it was youthful irresponsibility. It became a real guilt trip for me, especially as I continued to love watches so much. I really never got over it.
A few years ago my wife's Grandfather died. I wasn't that close to him, but had spent some time with him, particularly at the end and got on very well with him. A few months ago, his wife, my wife's Grandmother told me that as she was about to visit us, ( She lives in France) she would very much like me to have his watch. She knew that I loved watches and couldn't think of anyone better to have it. He had loved the watch and looked after it well himself.
The guilt set in again. I was thinking I don't deserve this. I lost my Grandfathers watch. I surely am not worthy.
I couldn't even remember the watch she was talking about. At the end he had suffered with diabetes and kidney failure. He had not worn the watch for the years I knew him.
When she arrived she handed me the watch. I opened the old Longines box it was in and there it was. A 1950s Gold Omega. Identical in every detail to the one my own grandfather left me.
I feel complete and forgiven. The watch came back to me . I am not a superstitious person. In fact a bit of a skeptic. But somehow I do feel the watch came to me in something other than coincidence.
I shall wear it both on the Birthday of my own Grandfather and the Birthday of my wife's Grandfather.
I had the watch restored

8115708998_1ca16fcd6f_b.jpg

8115709932_1c1bc16c7b_b.jpg

Original purchase papers
8212585671_11fd3058a3_b.jpg

8213672192_306961abc0_b.jpg

Last edited:

GMTG0D

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
When I was 12 years old my Grandfather died, we were close. I had great love and respect for him. In the late 50s he had bought a gold manual wind Omega. I loved it . It was given to me.
As I said, I was twelve. I didn't look after the watch and within a year or so it went missing. Much later, in my 20s I was gutted and felt guilty to this very day ( I am now 63) that I respected my Grandfather so much, yet I failed to look after that wonderful watch that he left me, even though I loved watches at the time. I guess it was youthful irresponsibility. It became a real guilt trip for me, especially as I continued to love watches so much. I really never got over it.
A few years ago my wife's Grandfather died. I wasn't that close to him, but had spent some time with him, particularly at the end and got on very well with him. A few months ago, his wife, my wife's Grandmother told me that as she was about to visit us, ( She lives in France) she would very much like me to have his watch. She knew that I loved watches and couldn't think of anyone better to have it. He had loved the watch and looked after it well himself.
The guilt set in again. I was thinking I don't deserve this. I lost my Grandfathers watch. I surely am not worthy.
I couldn't even remember the watch she was talking about. At the end he had suffered with diabetes and kidney failure. He had not worn the watch for the years I knew him.
When she arrived she handed me the watch. I opened the old Longines box it was in and there it was. A 1950s Gold Omega. Identical in every detail to the one my own grandfather left me.
I feel complete and forgiven. The watch came back to me . I am not a superstitious person. In fact a bit of a skeptic. But somehow I do feel the watch came to me in something other than coincidence.
I shall wear it both on the Birthday of my own Grandfather and the Birthday of my wife's Grandfather.
I had the watch restored

8115708998_1ca16fcd6f_b.jpg

8115709932_1c1bc16c7b_b.jpg

Original purchase papers
8212585671_11fd3058a3_b.jpg

8213672192_306961abc0_b.jpg
What a beauty!! Beautiful story as well!

Reactions: tribal

DocHolliday

Content Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Dallas, TX
I had the watch restored

Original purchase papers

I just chocked up a little. Great story. I'm fascinated with the human connection when it comes to sentimental value.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
At TGIFriday's with my girlfriend and GMT Master 1675

IMG_20180302_191708.jpg

rwatch0

Content Contributor
Feb 15, 2018
Belgium
I had the watch restored

View attachment 2301

View attachment 2302

Original purchase papers
View attachment 2303

View attachment 2304
That's a beautiful watch but with an even more beautiful story behind it..
Thank you for sharing it and I'm most of all happy your could let the guilt go and feel 'free' now.
I wish for you to enjoy the watch (and all your other watches for that matter) for a long time ahead in good health :)

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I had the watch restored
That's a really amazing story... I'm glad it came full circle and you got a "second chance."

Man, I've been after something with a bezel that faded to blue/purple like that... did you do it? If so, any tips?