Presenting the Mille Metri vintage Panerai

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Vesire

Content Contributor
Feb 20, 2018
Bulgaria
Hello,
first i would like to say that this model is not known to many, and the ones that knows it love it.
Its an inspiration to much homages now a days maranez, narval seven, river, esdee, other factory reps.. i think also ennebi is a homage and may be others.
This a bulky watch 47mm case, sandwich build case with thick plexi and my favorite the thight seal device (crown guard).
Got his name the 1000 meters (Mille Metri) for its waterproofness.

I'll give you first some historical data so you can get the idea.

CATALOGUE NOTE
In 1985, following the success of wristwatches made for the Italian Military during the 1930s-50s, Officine Panerai began to develop a new diving watch specifically for the Italian Navy. With specifications that the watch must be antimagnetic, easy to read and water-resistant to great depths, two initial prototype designs were created.
The original, experimental prototypes were made by hand within the laboratories of Officine Panerai in Florence under the guidance of Alessandro Bettarini. Created in two versions within titanium and bronze cases, the bronze case featured a large circular design with movable shoulders and plain rotatable bezel.

1528190348229.png
1528190373628.png

The titanium version was made with canted fixed shoulders and plain rotating bezel, both prototypes used Panerai’s patented locking crown system, plain black dial with luminous 12, 3, 6, 9 numerals and luminous baton hands, similarly both designs used an ETA automatic movement. The dial underwent several changes with two of the titanium versions featuring printed metal dials and Plexiglass dials, the final version using a thicker Plexiglas dial fitted with inset luminous Taser glow tubes replacing the baton markers, similarly the hands were fitted with glow tubes. Initial prototypes used Plexiglas crystals although this was replaced with a thick sapphire crystal in later editions. The final version was presented to the Italian Navy and despite successfully passing the rigorous tests it was subjected to, no orders were placed, however the initiative for re-launching the brand had been established.
The final version of the titanium prototype remains in the Panerai Museum with the previous three examples all lost from repeated transfers of department and believed to have been dismantled or destroyed. This is the first time one of the original titanium prototype examples, believed to be the 2nd version produced, is being offered for auction and as all of the four versions made underwent progressive changes, each can be considered unique.
For further information of this model see Ralf Ehlers and Volker Wiegman, Vintage Panerai, pp. 347-353 within the book ‘Vintage Panerai’. The reference book by Simon de Burton and Giampiero Negretti, Panerai, pp. 106-107

AN EXTREMELY RARE PROTOTYPE TITANIUM AUTOMATIC CENTRE SECONDS WRISTWATCH MILLE METRI CIRCA 1985
Sold for 100.000CHF

• cal. 2750 automatic nickel lever movement, 17 jewels, mono-metallic balance • black dial, baton and Arabic numerals, centre seconds • titanium case, patented crown guard, rotating bezel secured by 3 screws, case back secured by 6 screws • dial signed • with a stainless steel Panerai buckle
diameter 47 mm thickness 15.5 mm
1528190094568.png

Both titanium and bronzo

1528191601177.png

1528192441783.png
PVD prototype watch with Rolex movement
(picture courtesy of Francesco Ferretti)
click on the picture to enlarge

1528192534149.png
Aluminium prototype watch with ETA movement
(picture courtesy of Panerai)

There is some small information for another prototipes, that wre single made for test, as 1 with bigger case 55mm from the 70s from Aluminium
There are ofcourse many peopel with better knowledge on the MM, so i don't want to write made up things, its really a special watch.

This is a look at the construction of the case, and the thick gaskets - 1 beneathe the crystal and 1 on the back. There is also on the crown.

1528191616527.png

I had a modded maranez bangla with similar case design. 47mm but wareble and comfy on the wrist. Titanium case and bronze custom made bezel
u7php1tl.jpg
GFRGQ57l.jpg
with original besel
0GM5drBl.jpg

Then i started diggin on design etc, i found the mille metri and i loved it.

Some time passed before i could acquire one. Started from parts.
Sourced a bronze River case, then i found elswhere River's movement/dial and hands lot, so finaly i put it together.
Bought from a friend nice handmade bronze buckle, and sewd myself a green strap. And voila

uotLQFPl.jpg
1528191893990.png
Rz0X5zol.jpg
b0E2XsTl.jpg

i like the combo bronze green, so i tried zulu
zTSChLil.jpg

I was very happy with the watch, its a 47mm case, lugs are 21mm not standart, harder to find leather, but fits 22mm nato ok.
Lume wasn't strong, but i like it.

3_F1_EEA4_F-42_A0-4_CD3-_B16_D-_DA23_EBF18758.jpg

again some time passed, and it found new home..
But the fking itch came back..

started looking what River got, he is the easiest and i didn't want rep
1528191948011.png
so i chose the sandbalsted steel one,
and im happy camper from few weeks. Its on rubber which is very long, but soft. Comes with removable buckle inscripted with the design of sew in ones - gpf mod dep
Inside asian clone 2824, but can be easy switched for gen one.

I should of made more photos. Its very beautiful and the finish is well made.

1528192122217.png
1528192139103.png

k4srX2Gl.jpg

1528192095057.png

Thanks for reading,
you can show yours here :)

Last edited:

crownat4

Oct 26, 2019
Good morning,
I'm write from Italy. I'm looking for this watch but with with bronze case. Do you know if there's company which produce it? Thank you very much

OP
Vesire

Vesire

Content Contributor
Feb 20, 2018
Bulgaria
Hi
Its made by a guy, his nick is River
Sells in ebay, just type mille metri
There is bronze, you can message him for better price
Can check maranez bangla similar design
Had a few of those

2cd8678d6f804596a5e15d4afb2889e4.jpgfffca3cc9b7e7360262bb40e4aaa3c73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crownat4

Oct 26, 2019
Thank you very much. I made a search with Mille Metri and the user seems to call tps-tempus. I'll go on. Thanks again

OP
Vesire

Vesire

Content Contributor
Feb 20, 2018
Bulgaria
Its the same guy tp tempus ebay seller
On forums is River
Only he makes mille metri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk