PSA - Beware of genuine parts

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

WatchGuy

Dec 22, 2017
Rolex is tightening up the supply of genuine parts in an effort to more closely regulate, and imo stop frankening. Omega did this years ago, and as you can see, Omega parts are not as readily available as Rolex parts, and when you do find them, they typically are not cost effective.

Over the last week or so, a number of blistered crystals, inserts, etc. have been popping up on ebay. These parts don't have genuine labeling displayed, but it is not hard to reprint a Rolex or Omega label. A good printer, proper labels, and you now have what appears to many as a genuine blistered part.

Keep your eyes peeled, and only buy gen parts from the guys you trust. Some things to keep in mind when looking at parts. Most times, the serial number and barcode will be scratched out on Rolex parts. This is due to dealers not wanting to lose their parts account. Rolex frowns on selling parts, and supplies them with the intent of an authorized service center installing the parts. Also, check the pictures of the actual product. In the pictures below, you can see the difference between the fake and real crystal. If your seller wont give you pics of the actual product, move on to the next guy. A final thing to keep an eye out for in the case of crystals, is Rolex supplies 2 gaskets with their crystals. One is typically on the crystal, and one is floating free. As you can see in the fake, only 1 gasket provided.

As always, if you have any doubts or questions, get in touch with someone you trust to give you an honest opinion. This hobby attracts the shady, get rich quick type, so scamming is always something to be aware of.

Fake xtal packaging

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Gen xtal packaging
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

SSTEEL

I have noticed this too, and due to new blistered parts becoming even harder to find, I decided to keep hold of a few new parts I have, their prices will be going through the roof. I have a new in blister 16610LV insert, the popular B3 green too. I listed it up over on RG the other day, but decided to withdraw the same after being informed about the current marketplace.

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
Its always wise to establish yourself on the genuine forums and make friends (never mentioning replica and using a different screen name though I know a couple guys who don't and nobody seems to care), Eventually you see who the genuine parts sellers are and can buy from them. It's a bit expensive (rolex) but if you can't be sure I would rather spend the money. As far as I know and this was true about 6 months ago you can buy Omega parts direct from your local Omega boutique. At least I was able to buy some Micro Adjustable clasps for my Planet Oceans , You need to know your part number and they won't sell you limited edition parts but I walked in with a Limited edition 007 micro adjustable clasp and they were able to install it on my old 3592.50. There are a few people on the rep boards who are very very skilled and can get genuine parts and it really pays to make friends here and on the other boards. For new people it really takes a long term commitment before you learn. But its so very worth it.

OP
WatchGuy

WatchGuy

Dec 22, 2017
Its always wise to establish yourself on the genuine forums and make friends (never mentioning replica and using a different screen name though I know a couple guys who don't and nobody seems to care), Eventually you see who the genuine parts sellers are and can buy from them. It's a bit expensive (rolex) but if you can't be sure I would rather spend the money. As far as I know and this was true about 6 months ago you can buy Omega parts direct from your local Omega boutique. At least I was able to buy some Micro Adjustable clasps for my Planet Oceans , You need to know your part number and they won't sell you limited edition parts but I walked in with a Limited edition 007 micro adjustable clasp and they were able to install it on my old 3592.50. There are a few people on the rep boards who are very very skilled and can get genuine parts and it really pays to make friends here and on the other boards. For new people it really takes a long term commitment before you learn. But its so very worth it.
yeah you have been able to buy bracelets and straps direct from omega, and from most gen ADs for most gen brands. Its the dials and bezels and hands that get tricky.

Reactions: Thrasher

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
yeah you have been able to buy bracelets and straps direct from omega, and from most gen ADs for most gen brands. Its the dials and bezels and hands that get tricky.
And those are the ones we really need. Rolex though their prices are insane and the strictness of their controls irritating at best. Getting 16600 SD parts has been a real pain especially the Bezels, Bezel inserts....Its amazing how few like new or slightly used flat 4 inserts are to be found and T<25 Dials ....OMG , it is fun though

Reactions: JackJ1980