Reps to Gens ???

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
I have found myself now buying Gen watches...haven't bought a Rep in quite a while, but a number of Gens...no high dollar lux stuff (except my Rado...which was not a big $$ purchase).....

I still have a bunch of reps in my collection, the ones that I probably would never sell...but I have seemed to have turned the corner...

Am I lost??? :unsure:

I could never give up on my rep brothers...I cut my watch forum teeth at RWI...and now HoBo and I have since joined another forum which is not exactly rep friendly...

I'm so confused...LOL

DeadEntireAmericanindianhorse-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

tommy_boy

The old pirate, arrr.
Jan 18, 2018
Location, Location Location.
Right there with ya.

I'm not interested in Rolex, AP, IWC, Hoo Blow, etc.

Reps are a PITA. I have a bunch of sub-$500 gens that are satisfying for different reasons and my local watchmaker will fix them if need be.

I'm good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rush and WingNut
OP
WingNut

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
@tommy_boy

I hear you...I'm not saying I'll never get another rep, but for now I don't think so...I would love to have a nice gen grail one day... maybe an Omega, TAG...something in that range, but we'll have to wait and see on that...

I had a handful of reps that had issues...a member over at RWI has been repairing them for me...two still with him...my FM day/night and my best rep...the Santre SMP franken...can't wait to get that one back.

It's nice that HB welcomes all watches and wearers...thanks @muscles 👍

Oris

Public Figure
Ambassador
Jan 29, 2018
Australia
I've always had an equal interest in reps and gens. I love the reps I have - some are amazingly solid watches (or with a little work they've become good, solid watches) but one or two are definitely more highly strung than gens. Some of my gen stuff has rep provenance though (think Ginault) and I thank my interest in the rep community for giving me the appreciation of them.

One beauty of reps is that they sometimes require some improvement, and are often there as an ongoing project. This is usually not the case with the gens I buy.
Each rep I have has somehow been the subject of a little improvement program by me and I enjoy that interaction, a) with the piece, and b) with the community.

Gens are usually great OOTB (which is excellent) but as a result, I feel like reps are often where I have really interacted with the 'art' of horology the most; putting something together, working out what makes it tick, making it better, etc, and I love that.

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
I wish I had the skills and patience...not to mention steady hands LOL...to work on or mod watches...I would really get into it..I envy those who mod and build their own pieces, there's a satisfaction that doesn't come from just buying a nice watch.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

SinSir

Watchaholic
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
Chicago
I'm just a watch whore. It doesn't make a difference to me if rep or gen. I go in phases. They all have a place. I agree reps are great to make it more of a hobby for me. Reps serve a good purpose to try before gen too. Some I've been glad and moved on to another. Micros hold a special spot too. Sometimes a rep brings more satisfaction for the the upgrade factor though. Either way happy to see a watch on my wrist no matter what it says on the dial...

Thankful for HoBo where all watches can come together and we simply enjoy the hobby!

Last edited:

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
I have to go with @SinSir and @NCRich I like watches and there are lots of reasons to own a Rep, Gen, Micro, Homage, Fantasy. After all they are all real watches. Some are overPriced , Some are unreliable, Some Cheap and reliable...1000s of variations