Review Maranez Rawai homage to the big Egi

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Vesire

Content Contributor
Feb 20, 2018
Bulgaria
Hello guys,
i would like to write few words for this watch, core of my watch box.
I saw it once on a friends wrist and i started craving to have it. Unfortuantely the model was no longer available nor i could find it.
This is the firsts batch 45mm brass, there are now bigger cases which unsuit my wrist.
Anyways, the guy saw how much i loved this watch and one day he propose to sell it to me, so its mine now :D

Needles to say this is a big and chunky diver inspired from vintage Panerai Egiziano.
It's a Panerai Radiomir, made for the Egyptian Navy in the mid-1950's. About 50 examples were made, so it is very rare and very collectible.
Being the elite Navy in its region during the 1950s, the Italian had permitted other Mediterranean Navy officers to be attached to their Navy Institute for training. Each foreign officer was issued with Panerai gears during their attachment with the Italian Navy. It was probably from these trainings that the other Mediterranean navies have come to know about these unique and relaible Panerai gears.
Several special watch models were developed at the request of the other Mediterranean navies. One of them was the 'Egiziano' Panerai. The first prototype send to the Egyptian Navy was rejected; the Egyptian Navy wanted something much 'stronger' and 'indestructible'. And Panerai complied with the oversized watch.

I love the style, but this monster in gen is hugeeee, 60mm

1528785691819.png

1528785667255.png

Ofcourse some have the wrist for it, kekeke
1528788377121.png

1528788408399.png

About Maranez, they are microbrand from Hong Kong, i had several their models and i quite like them for solid builds, great WR, cute design, good finish, good packages with spairs and ofcourse good customer service. They also make super deals and offers on some holidays.
The maranez Rawai is as i said made of brass with st. steel case back. Size is completely weareble 45mm and thick 18mm, because of its WR 300m.
Lug to lug is about 56mm.

These are the pic of the watch as brand new. You can see the virgin brass, with its nice color.
Watch has my favorite combination of green dial cali version and brass color. Dial is with SuperLuminova and light like torch.
Green and brass/bronze are 100% match. Hands are brass thick ones and this has a sec hands, because movement is automatic seiko NH35.
Very reliable and workhorse movement.

1528786122627.png

Crystal is plexi, one of the features i like most, but in this one i like all features.
Can't say there is something essential i dislike..

1528786141537.png

120 clicks brushed brass bezel with lumed pin at 12h, which unfortunately fell down..
Bezel feels very solid and thight. And those pips are very cool to touch :D
You can see how the plexi is aligned to the pips and the curved lugs that hugs your wrist.

1528786156980.png
Can see here the huge crown, it operates very easy

1528786166640.png

Case back is st. steel simple made, but the logo is so cool, woman diver :)

1528786178902.png

The lume compared with some seikos - sumo, padi turtle and monster on the top row
Cali dial bottom row the last one.

BCiAppHl.jpg

The buckle :D, actually they are 2, that comes in the box, which is actualy waterproof tube.
And here comes the big minus, may be the only one, its a pin buckle, and not a screw in.

1528787236685.png

As i said the watch comes in a perfect full kit - 2 straps with 2 buckles, 1 spare plexi, 1 screwdriver, 2 spare screw lug bolts..
WOW thats a nice package for the price. Who gives you so much.

Last but not least, the lugs are 24mm, which for me is the best size.
Watch is great on leather, as well as on natos, rubbers.. all suits him well.
I made it a few straps :

here you can already see the patina, no force one just natural
Wm54Kqvl.jpg
FRoGLLYl.jpg
KuusZGDl.jpg
DPFztvBl.jpg
SKT6gT1l.jpg

This is from last month some sea time
RnmJxHml.jpg

I had after it a Maranez Bangla titanium moded one, a nice watch also.
But i like more the mille metri version with the crown guard
0GM5drBl.jpg

And i had for few days a Maranez Kata, vintage inspired diver.
Also great watch for the bucks.
uYLpYlPl.jpg

Maranez is one of my favorites and first microbrand companies.
From all 3 i decided to keep the Rawai, as its very comfrtable on the wrist, its brass and i dig the brownish/gold color
and the forming patina, which makes it look old and used tool.
Its again a homage to vintage panerai, which im hook to. I hope to have it in my "collection" long time.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrE

frederico

Diplomat
Diplomat
May 19, 2018
The Netherlands
Thank you for sharing this with us
Enormous watches in size if I would ware it my arm would hang on my shoe
But they look great

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk