Tudor Prince Oysterdate 9080/0 restoration.

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

tripdog

Dec 22, 2018
A bit of background info: The Tudor brand dates back to 1926, when the house of “Veuve de Philippe Hüther”, a Swiss watchmaker registered the trademark 'The Tudor' in Geneva for Hans Wilsdorf. The Tudor brand was transferred to Hans Wilsdorf in October 1936, leading to the formation of “Montres Tudor S.A” 10 years later, just after the Second World War.

YGmrp.jpg

YG4RX.jpg

This watch was purchased as water damaged. The case was in reasonable condition, as was the 7836 bracelet. The Oysterdate 9080's were made from the early 70's till the mid 80's, this one dates from 1981.

YGAws.jpg

YPVph.jpg

The original Tudor ETA calibre 2784 is going to need some serious restoration so it was replaced with an ETA 2824, the original date wheel fits the new movement so it was swapped over.

YPudD.jpg

YPKnU.jpg

The Tudor Jumbo Prince Oysterdate 9080, to give it it's full title, looks a lot like a Rolex Date Just - except it's bigger - a whopping 38 mm across, excluding the crown.
The case and bracelet were re-finished, and the dial cleaned up - not 100% perfect as there was something on the surface which was very difficult to remove, not sure what it was.

YPpr8.jpg

YPvw3.jpg

The hands were dirty and the lume had reacted strangely with something (the humidity maybe) so I stripped off the lume, cleaned and polished them and then relumed them.

YPIzb.jpg

YPQd2.jpg

The colour doesn't exactly match the tritium lume on the dial, but I did this on purpose as the dial lume has turned a slightly drab gray/brown colour, so I lumed the hands with a slightly warmer sepia colour brown to compliment the dial better, the color of which changes according to the light, from pale champagne to a pale gold sepia.

YPcnd.jpg

YPn5Z.jpg

The crystal was beyond repair as the cyclops was quite badly scratched, fortunately I had a NOS Tudor crystal in my stock.

YPefR.jpg

YPxzg.jpg

Thanks for looking !

Reactions: Thrasher

Thrasher

The Annoyance Facilitator
Ambassador
Jan 5, 2018
Another interesting contribution. I never really got Tudor, Especially that weird hour hand. @tripdog do you have any idea who or why that strange hour hand was chosen?