Vintage Speedy Tutorial - Completed

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

NCRich

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
So I have a handwind speedy and when the opportunity arose to get a quartz one for $60 shipped I jumped on it so I could try my hand at making a vintage speedy. I promised @Thommo82 that I would document it. It really should not be that hard since really all I've got to do is take it apart, matte spray and lume the dial, lume the hands to match, fade the insert, and glue in a plexi. I'll be doing this in stages as I'm still waiting on the plexi from Cousins. So let's see where we want to go. Here is what I would like to get to:
OeEayP4.jpg

And this is what I am starting with:
1hRhAIo.jpg
Upper right is the DhGate quartz. Subdials are better spaced than the handwind rep on the left. Quartz is 1mm bigger, and the crown is a bit larger. Otherwise its pretty much the same as the best rep moonwatch. Let's get started:
I had no idea how this was assembled so I took off the bezel first, in retrospect it would have been better to take the movement out first. So a straight razor blade and a case knife.
975JgNF.jpg
Slide the razor blade under the bezel and wedge it up gently.
h96DPTF.jpg
Once you get the space you can use the case knife to finish removal.
CpzD3Ly.jpg
Once I popped it off and saw the unprotected dial I said crap and put it back on. Let's do it the right way and remove the bracelet.
jVgJpaQ.jpg
Unscrew the caseback with the tool.
txPYH1q.jpg
We got a Miyota OS20. Not a bad movement at all.
AaycMgy.jpg
You remove the stem in the running position and push the release button where it says push.
Spacer, stem, and battery removed.
ae1CIp9.jpg
Turn the movement assembly out onto something.
hRRprDn.jpg
Note that I've removed the bezel assembly from the case. I popped the crystal out with my fingers (its coke bottle green glass), and reinserted the stem. Now I need to remove the hands. I've never removed all the hands on a chrono so I'm not sure the best way. I removed the central hands first with and dial protector and levers. The small hands don't have the clearance needed so I made a protector from some typing paper and carefully levered them off.
xYyVIi1.jpg
I can breathe again.
Dial is a friction fit with two feet. Just levered it off carefully with a screwdriver.
9bPjZh0.jpg
The dial is shiny plastic, I've got to tame that down before I relume.
Before (and it is really shinier than this looks)
1Z9qcQ4.jpg
Matte sprayed.
jfJoi1b.jpg
Much better in person and more appropriate. Now to the bezel. It has a rubber gasket to help with water resistance so I removed that.
pjctrJU.jpg
I need to fade it using bleach. I heat up the bleach for 30 secs in the microwave and pop it in. Never, ever walk away when you do this. Almost immediately paint starts to float off. I just wanted to take the shine off. 2 minutes and I've removed the shine and more of the color than I had intended.
xqdJxJK.jpg
I will probably hit it with a scotch brite to get it exactly like I want it later.
That is all for now. Gonna strip the lume off the hands and I'll have to wait for the plexi. Wanted to do this whilst it was fresh in my mind.

Brief update: removed the lume, but the high quality paint on the hands was removed by the acetone. Had to respray the hands.
sqHaIXm.jpg
So after everything dried it was time to lume. I use a water based lume that allows me to color it with inexpensive watercolors. I'll be using some gold and brown to get the color of my model. Here is the setup.
Iw0ld9C.jpg
I have my fancy lume mixer (spoon and toothpick). Oilers and toothpicks to apply the lume. I use oilers to do the hand lume and depending on the thickness of the area to be lumed I pick an oiler or toothpick.
The thickness of the lume is crucial. Its one of those things you have to figure out by practice. I'm using basically a white glue as binder. I have water and qtips to clean up my mistakes. The whole thing is over in a couple minutes.
Unlumed.
V339tkQ.jpg
Couple minutes later, lumed.
7DHKXJQ.jpg
And a better shot of the dial. I'll let it dry till tomorrow and assemble it.
JKjb7na.jpg

So we need to set the hands. I removed the hands at midnight time. So I replace them at the same spot. Theoretically it should work :)

7rE0BOn.jpg

e5r7xPz.jpg

Now we wait for the plexi. The hard part should be done.

So I ordered a 33.6mm plexi. The actual opening is about 33.52 so you have to sand off the edge a bit to get it to fit. I carefully did it with 220 sandpaper. Really didn't take but a few minutes. I pressed the bezel back on with my crystal press. You might be able to do it by hand but a press is cheap and so much easier.
Polished the plexi with polywatch and glued it in with GS Hypo Cement. Lest you think I'm a tool hog you can see the fancy clamping mechanism.
TCST4XO.jpg

After the plexi dried I cleaned it and dropped the movement and spacer in. Couple of quick snaps. Better pictures when the sun comes out.
2VuVqK3.jpg
5F3ZyL5.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Ooh, nice to see you doing something new! Following this with interest... :)

Nivka

Content Contributor
Feb 19, 2018
Subscribed. I’ve always found the quartz speedies cheap looking. Very interested to see the outcome

GBub

Feb 26, 2018
Nicely done @NCRich !

@GBub ... pay attention here. Learn to do this to your when you receive it.
It's precisely because of this thread (or at least the one next door) that I bought this very watch. Rich is a lege and I shall be paying very close attention to his instructions.

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
What you can do with dhgate stuff still astounds me. This is already looking awesome rich!