VRF Rolex Sub 116613LN Has Landed

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Spinman

Dec 22, 2017
How's the "tone/color" of the Gold compared to gen? It looks great in the pictures, but It would be really nice to see some side by side comparisons.
Also, I can't really tell from the pics, but does the gold go through sides of the links? (I may not have phrased that correctly. I know some of the earlier 2 tone releases had silver showing on the sides. Does this one?)

OP
LarryZek

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
How's the "tone/color" of the Gold compared to gen? It looks great in the pictures, but It would be really nice to see some side by side comparisons.
Also, I can't really tell from the pics, but does the gold go through sides of the links? (I may not have phrased that correctly. I know some of the earlier 2 tone releases had silver showing on the sides. Does this one?)
The sides are gold also which is a great step in reps. The gold I have nothing to compare to but it looks good to me

Reactions: Spinman

Spinman

Dec 22, 2017
The sides are gold also which is a great step in reps. The gold I have nothing to compare to but it looks good to me
Thank you for the post, and also the clarification.

I'm looking forward to getting some of the new releases that are coming down the pike after CNY. (And I love that ARF SD43, I really want that, but with a less pointy bezel)

Reactions: LarryZek

iPwnage

Jan 14, 2018
This is a real stunner. I might get myself one from the TDs soon, after i saw this. Which movement did you choose?

OP
LarryZek

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Looks great. don't understand why they went with the Asian ETA copy instead of the Asian rolex movement copy? I did find out yesterday that there might be a new sub coming out. Maybe it has a 3235 in it and since it is similar to the ETA movement they just made it that way or maybe I'm thinking too much! LOL.
I heard the same rumor of them using the movement from the SD43 in the next Sub

OP
LarryZek

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Me too. I am just wondering if they are going to do any other modification. Rolex doesn't do movement changes with out changing the model number. I remember them doing it 2 times in their history as far as I know. The 5512/5513 and the GMT 16710 right at the end they threw in the 3186 instead of the 3185. Although the movements are almost identical, they still reclassified the movement number and didn't do the case until the next year.

So if they do a new Sub it would have to kind of have a new model number.
1680 ran for 15 years with the 1575 movement, then came out the 16800 which ran for 7 years and the last being the odd 168000 with the 3035. The 16610 ran for 22 years. That 3135 has been around that long! They continued with the 3135 with the 116610 and now its going on another 8 years. So God only knows how or what they are going too do with the Sub. But I for one look forward too the next one!
I'll be honest I think the 116610 is perfect.
Looks
Size
Movement.
Going to be hard to out do it.
We know they won't be doing complications
But one thing I would like to see is a lumed bezel

Reactions: occb2
OP
LarryZek

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
That would look odd but cool! I doubt it. Rolex is very traditional and that would go out of tradition. But that would be a nice looking watch at night or in a club!
Oh I don't expect them to do it lol.
No way in hell.
But they have surprised us before.
YM2 and Skydweller are far from traditional and not something I thought Rolex would do.

Reactions: occb2
OP
LarryZek

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Larry, that is really nice. I haven't considered one until I saw your pics.
They did really well with it. Honestly cyclops looks better in person too. I highly recommend it but go for the LN, not loving the dial on the LB.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
They did really well with it. Honestly cyclops looks better in person too. I highly recommend it but go for the LN, not loving the dial on the LB.
I like that LN for sure. I was thinking LB since a 16613LB was my first ever rep (decades ago). Maybe I'll do the LN and wait for a better LB.

What don't you like about the LB dial? Matching the color is important.

Reactions: Diverdown60
OP
LarryZek

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
I like that LN for sure. I was thinking LB since a 16613LB was my first ever rep (decades ago). Maybe I'll do the LN and wait for a better LB.

What don't you like about the LB dial? Matching the color is important.
The blue color is wrong
Insert color is off
Dial printing not great

On the LN
Dial printing is basically gen looking
Insert looks great.
Way more passable.