What can HoBos provide that other forums don't have?

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Jbauers

Diplomat
Diplomat
Dec 22, 2017
What types of tutorials would you guys like to see in the diy section? I can put some up if you guys wanna see certain things.
Things like Dan's video of removing/replacing crystals. How to change the bezels, etc.
Specific gasket height's to achieve the correct magnification, etc.
Maybe links to some basic tools and products that we should all have, etc.
Even noting things like lubing shouldn't be done with vaseline, etc. Most noobs probably would never think that it could cause the gaskets to break down.
I wholeheartedly agree with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
What types of tutorials would you guys like to see in the diy section? I can put some up if you guys wanna see certain things.
From personal experience, common fuckups and how to fix them. For example, I know I bent a gen bezel ring and for the life of me I fix it, though apparently it was simple enough to do.

Keyless problems also seem to be a common issue, but I guess those are more difficult to fix.

Careless hand placement or what to do if you've bent one? I've done that before, even threw away a second hand because of it.

Reactions: Timnic54 and MrE

Havitetty

WTB: TC v7x LN or LV
Mar 10, 2018
I am new, so perhaps the questions I currently have may help. I would like to learn about how to mod watches.

*Which cases allow for gen parts? Which cases are preferred if they can be machined to specifications?
*Which movements can be swapped readily?
*Where to source an LWO
*Where can I get gen parts for a sh3135 and which parts should I replace to make it more reliable?
*Who to go to for DW, hands, case rebrushing, crystals for US, EU or Asia
*How to pair hands, movements and dials ~ A cheat sheet of common combinations.
*Apart from Chrono24 and other forums, where can I source gen dials/hands/pushers/Dw/xtal etc..
*What should packages be listed as when conducting m2m sales and how much value to declare?
*Which rep parts can help me save money on a build? E.g.. Mike's Tachy for a white rubberclad.

These are the ones that I can think of now. I have done a fair bit of reading, so a lot of what I have mentioned is based on reading forums and the comments of more experienced people mentioning something about replacing Sh3135 parts with gen for example.

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
What should packages be listed as when conducting m2m sales and how much value to declare?
This probably varies based on where you're shipping from and where you're shipping to, but I usually list "WATCH PARTS FOR REPAIR (NO BATTERIES)" for $20.

Reactions: SuperLory

Rx4Time

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 23, 2017
Perhaps as mentioned some parts lists and comparability lists for those who want to build or franken pieces. The 36mm date just is always a favorite since there is an abundance of parts, and the 5 digit sub is another favorite, but others would be great.

Rx4Time

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 23, 2017
I have used horological tool for repair as the declaration and place a note inside outlining a non existent issue with the watch. B

thehipp04

Feb 16, 2018
Some more in depth tutorials would be awesome. Start with simple stuff like what @Spinman suggested. How to remove a bezel, chance an insert, reinstall. How to remove and install crystal. I’m still looking for a movement to mess around with. Installing a dial, hands.

From what I’ve read, the most common topic is Frankening and Modding. I think I subsection dedicated to this would be huge. It would also be awesome if the folks willing to work on, mod, build Franken pieces for folks would highlight there services here. I feel like I’m PM’ing @TheWatchGuy daily with questions or pricing. He must think I’m such a Pain in the A$$!

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
1. More member reviews of watches..which is probably more on our shoulders to get done than the staff at HB :) Suggestions would be to detail the exact model, make, specs if gen and if rep, exact factory, version, link. Initial thoughts, feel in hand, feel on wrist, lume shots, pleasant thoughts, negative thoughts. Some detailed photos of all angles of the watch and bracelet being reviewed.

2. We could also possibly create a "Week on the Wrist" section where members where the same watch for 7 days and give a full detailed review on their thoughts. They could write daily reviews each day or just do a full 7 day review at the end. Could be a watch already in their rotation or a brand new purchase.

3. -I was also tossing this idea around in my head the past few days but have no clue if it work so if it sounds a little out there or far fetched, don't blame the Greek lmao- A community based gen vs rep review section where members put their gens side by side against another members rep. Gen owners who would like to take part would list any gen watches that they have. Rep owners who own the same exact model in rep form would send their rep to the gen owner and the gen owner would do a side by side comparison with pics and detailed thoughts and review added to a master thread here. We could have multiple reviews on the same watch as different versions and factory's come out with new editions. Heres kind of how it would go down.

Gen owner "XYZ" has the following up for review and comparison
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
Omega Seamaster 300m Blue dial 212.30.41.20.03.001

Rep owner "ABC" has the following with original purchase link
Omega Seamaster 300m Blue dial OMF - OG sale link

Rep owner "ABC" with the Omega, contacts "XYZ" to send their rep for review against the gen. Gen owner does the comparison and sends rep back. Once the comparison post is created, there could be a master thread where all the comparison posts are located.

Gen owners would not be sending there watches anywhere for obvious reasons. Rep owners send the watch. Possibly a free raffle ticket or 1/2 off a raffle ticket for each review done for both gen and rep owner? This way the gen owner gets a little something for their time and the rep owner gets a little something for guinea pigging their watch.

Again, maybe its a crazy idea that belongs in the bin and maybe its not. No hard feelings here at all. This was just bouncing in my head these past few days and thought it would be a cool idea to see and help grow a section at HB.

Reactions: Scott
OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
A community based gen vs rep review section where members put their gens side by side against another members rep.
I really do love this, but man, the problems that could occur. This is definitely something that would have be worked out on a personal basis between people who know and trust each other and might be more of an individual thing with a community format, if that makes sense?

Reactions: ChefZorba

Raddave

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Jan 16, 2018
a 2836 keyless works tut with pics .....

NO other forum has one , and hasnt fo the longest time ive tried to get one on RWI for the longest time ......

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
a 2836 keyless works tut with pics .....

NO other forum has one , and hasnt fo the longest time ive tried to get one on RWI for the longest time ......
Didn't we talk about this once? I think I tried searching around for one for you.

@occb2 You're proficient with the 2836, right? Any chance you have the time to blow Dave's mind? :D

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
@muscles Another thing that might be nice is if you could make a hosting/archival area for PDFs etc. so that they're always available.

Raddave

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Jan 16, 2018
Didn't we talk about this once? I think I tried searching around for one for you.

@occb2 You're proficient with the 2836, right? Any chance you have the time to blow Dave's mind? :D
yeah you found a vid by rick914 , but it really sucked

i wish dustin or cybee would re-up their pics , those were perfect

Kilowattore

Content Contributor
Feb 4, 2018
Yes I recall a couple of cybee's tutorials, I learnt the basics with them. Photobucket screwed us right.

On a side note, about the reviews. I posted a few Panerai reviews when I was still buying reps. I know its not new content but f you guys think this would be beneficial to the forum I have no issue to up them here as well.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Yes I recall a couple of cybee's tutorials, I learnt the basics with them. Photobucket screwed us right.

On a side note, about the reviews. I posted a few Panerai reviews when I was still buying reps. I know its not new content but f you guys think this would be beneficial to the forum I have no issue to up them here as well.
Reviews are always good. Lets have them :)

thehipp04

Feb 16, 2018
What if we did a cool little "member spotlight of the week". Maybe we formalize a little 10-20 question interview. Just a way to learn a little more about each other. I'm always curious where the fellas I'm chatting with are in the world, what they do for a living, favorite hobbies...

Reactions: Timnic54 and Scott

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
What if we did a cool little "member spotlight of the week". Maybe we formalize a little 10-20 question interview. Just a way to learn a little more about each other. I'm always curious where the fellas I'm chatting with are in the world, what they do for a living, favorite hobbies...
That is an interesting idea.

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
Taking note of all these. Thanks guys! Once I get some free time, I'll work on implementing some of them.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS

Yes, please post ‘em