Why it’s impossible to answer “Who has the best ______?"

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
A common question from those who are new to the world of reps is “Who has the best _____?” The most common version of this question is “Who has the best Sub?”

There are actually two versions of this question.

One version of this question is "Which TD has the best ______?" The answer is that TDs don't make watches, they buy them from factories. Any TD can get any watch that is available from the factories.

The other, more common version of this question is "Which factory makes the best ____?" That is what the rest of this post is about.

The best version of any watch is made by the factory that sells the authentic watch. So the answer to “Who has the best Sub?” is “Rolex,” although Subway and Firehouse are also quite popular.

When it comes to reps, it is impossible to answer the question. Why? The short answer is: because it’s a matter of opinion.

The Example of the Rep Burgers

Consider this example. It’s probably not the best possible example, but it hopefully gets the point across.

Let’s say you take a hamburger and ask three chefs to replicate it from scratch. Each chef has to figure out, either from a sample or pictures of the original hamburger, what it is made of and how it is made. They then have to buy ingredients and try to recreate the original.

Here is what the results might look like. To make the example simpler, let’s use only four variables.

Rep Burger 1:
Patty size: 90% similar to original
Bun size: 80% similar to original
Amount of ketchup: 10% less than original
Price: $15

Rep Burger 2:
Patty size: 85% similar to original
Bun size: 82% similar to original
Amount of ketchup: 5% less than original
Price: $12

Rep Burger 3:
Patty size: 80% similar to original
Bun size: 80% similar to original
Amount of ketchup: 15% more than original
Price: $8

Now we all know that @Chefzorba would make the best and most gen-like rep burger burger, which would be much better than all three of these burgers and probably even better than the gen. But let’s say we only have these three rep burgers to select from.

Now the question, “Who has the best Rep Burger?”

Only you can answer this question for yourself. Someone else’s answer is their answer, not yours. For each person, the answer will depend on what the burger looks like to them, and how the variables that make up that look compare to what is important to them.

Let’s say that the majority of the members of the rep burger community are into patty size. If that’s the case, then the “consensus” would probably be that burger one is best.

There may be a group of members that plan to spend extra money or time to modify their rep burger by switching out the bun for a gen bun and adding ketchup. Those members would probably all choose burger one because it has the closest-to-gen patty.

Other members might not want to spend additional time or money on making modifications to their rep burger. Some of those members might prefer burger two because, even though the patty is less close to gen, the bun and ketchup are closer to gen.

There may be some members that would opt for burger three because, even though it is the least close to gen, the price is the lowest. Or maybe the most important thing to them is ketchup, so they will buy the burger with the most ketchup.

What do Rep Burgers have to do with Rep Watches?

The same general principles apply to the question “Who has the best [insert version of watch]?” as we just saw in the rep burger example. With rep watches, though, there are a lot more variables.

In many cases, there are multiple factories that will rep a particular watch. Each factory’s version will have different features that are closer to gen than the other factories.

For example, one factory may have a rep that has a dial that looks closer to gen but the case is much thicker than gen, while another factory has a rep with a thinner case but the dial is not as close to gen. What one is better based on these two factors alone? That depends on what is more important to you—a dial that is closer to gen, or case thickness that is closer to gen.

The more variables you add (case diameter, case thickness, dial color, dial font, dial font spacing, datewheel, etc.), the more complicated it gets. Some variables people consider are here.

Another factor in deciding which watch to buy is whether you plan to modify, customize, or franken your watch. If so, then a flaw on something you plan to replace or modify won’t matter.

That said, there are lists of reps that are considered to be very good reps based on general consensus. One example of such a list is NWBIG, which stands for Not Worth Buying in Gen (see here).

Consensual lists can be helpful, but they are not a substitute for doing your own research. For example, a watch may be NWBIG but it might have a movement that is likely to need service or repair. There may be another factory that makes a version of that watch that is less close to gen, but has a more reliable movement. A post that discusses the questionable value of lists is here. Ironically, that post is written by @Timnic54, who is also the author of the NWBIG list.

The best advice is to take the time to read, read, and read until you understand the differences in the various models. That way, you can decide what will work best for you based on what is most important to you.

Remember, this hobby is about having fun and enjoying watches you like. If you really like a watch, buy it and enjoy it. Don’t worry about what other people think.

Last edited:

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I LOVE the burger comparison, it makes it very easy to understand that you're entering a world of compromises.

Too bad you didn't use hoagies, though. ;)

ChefZorba

Hobo 115
Jan 20, 2018
Southern California
Excellent analogy! It’s a world of give and take and how much you can “give up” for something perfect for your wrist. I for one, look towards reliability in a movement vs the more gen looking movement. ie..chs vs non chs gmt. I’d rather have a solid bulletproof movement than a more gen looking movement that is a ticking time bomb.

And you know I’ve got the best rep burgers. 1:1 meat fat ratio and AAA+ bun selection. Oh yeah...with @JJS blended cheese section and @BackwoodsJon refinish on the patty and presentation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Omegex and Scott

BackwoodsJon

Trusted Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 22, 2017
in the woods
Excellent analogy! It’s a world of give and take and how much you can “give up” for something perfect for your wrist. I for one, look towards reliability in a movement vs the more gen looking movement. ie..chs vs non chs gmt. I’d rather have a solid bulletproof movement than a more gen looking movement that is a ticking time bomb.

And you know I’ve got the best rep burgers. 1:1 meat fat ratio and AAA+ bun selection. Oh yeah...with @JJS blended cheese section and @BackwoodsJon refinish on the patty and presentation

Lmao!
@PlanetZoom - awesome post man

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I LOVE the burger comparison, it makes it very easy to understand that you're entering a world of compromises.

Too bad you didn't use hoagies, though. ;)

@PlanetZoom amazing post buddy.
Lmao!
@PlanetZoom - awesome post man
@Scott, @Chefzorba, @BackwoodsJon, @LarryZek, thank you.

@Scott, burgers were my favorite food growing up. I do like hoagies, though.

@Chefzorba, sign me up for one of your rep burgers.

Reactions: Scott