Writing Short stories

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Anyone else here enjoy writing.

I had my first novel published a few years ago. It is a science fiction fantasy. I am currently half way through a political thriller. I hope to have if finished by the end of this year. It has been 3 years work so far.

I am particularly interested in the short story form. By short story form I mean seriously short. Once it runs into chapters , for me the short story form is lost.
I got into the whole keep it short thing when I spent a few years writing advertising copy.

If there are members who are interested in writing very short stories this might be a good place to post them and talk about them.

Here is an example of what I mean. I wrote this a few years ago

Sharing a room

I don't like sharing rooms at the best of times.
It was hot, hot and sticky.
I hadn't slept well for days, not with this heat and no air con.
The room was dark, not pitch dark but the kind of dark you can almost touch between you and the wall. A kind of physical darkness that makes the heat even more insufferable. I was sweating and the bed was damp already, still damp from the night before.
I told him. Yes I warned him.
I told him to stay over the other end of the room and not bother me.
I told him the morning will come soon enough and we could go our separate ways and forget this night.
Some how I knew he wouldn't listen. I knew he would disturb the small chance I had to sleep in this intolerable heat.
So I killed him.
In fact I beat him to death. There was no blood. Just his twisted misshapen form on the carpet. I left the body where it was and slept. I'm not proud of it, but I did need the sleep, and I did warn him.
In the morning I placed his body near the window.
Let it be a warning I thought.
Let it be a warning to other flies who think they can share my room.