Anyone else who just can't fall in love with the six-digit subs?

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I watched the review @Timnic54 posted and all throughout, all I could think was that I really still prefer the five-digit subs and feel like those will be classics and the six-digit ones will be relegated to the mistake shelf, along with vegetable wallpaper and shag vests.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I watched the review @Timnic54 posted and all throughout, all I could think was that I really still prefer the five-digit subs and feel like those will be classics and the six-digit ones will be relegated to the mistake shelf, along with vegetable wallpaper and shag vests.

And Onsies :D

Reactions: Scott

GMTG0D

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
Yup i feel the same way except for the 6 digit GMT’s. 5 digit subs have a class that no 6 digit sub possesses. It is everything in one. True personality in a watch.

Reactions: SuperLory

Watches2Play

Timelord
Ambassador
Dec 27, 2017
I like 5 & 6 digits, I don’t think the 6’s will be looked upon any less in the future, but I could be wrong

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Yup i feel the same way except for the 6 digit GMT’s. 5 digit subs have a class that no 6 digit sub possesses. It is everything in one. True personality in a watch.
I agree about the GMTs, though my favorite is the 16760, so I'm obviously biased toward a chunkier GMT.

Nuvolablue

Content Contributor
Feb 23, 2018
4s and 5s for me. I can see the practicality of having the ceramic bezels, but I just don't like the way they shine. Here's two of my favourites from my collection. 7e6d9f48b6879a2b057c7e2fb3ee604c.jpgb6f0bd24bf82f64d59ac5edd3ba1fa89.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike116

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
5 digits preferred for me 100% on sub. The rest I’m split between dial and such

Muiramas

Feb 25, 2018
Preference is 5 digit. I got my sub in 1994 and still remember the disappointment of the bracelet - otherwise I loved it. The maxi dial, face etc of the 6 digit never grew on me. The Explorer made an uglier 6 digit transtition than the sub though in my opinion.

Mike116

Jan 30, 2018
NZ
I must admit, that for me at least i agree with Scott that the bracelet width doesnt match the heft of the watch re the ceramic models. The DSSD is a case in point where unless you have a big wrist or you actualy use it over a wet suit the watch head seems out of proportion. The 5 digit fits like a glove under a dress shirt unlike a lot of larger watches and is spot on for most wrist sizes. For me a 5 digit is much more of a classic tool watch

Reactions: Nuvolablue

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
Count me in! I can't fall in love with the 6 digit submariner and I don't know why...
Compared to the 5 digits... I don't know.. there is something more "classy" in the "slimmer case", the lugs, the CG... and the way the insert looks... to me 5 digit sub is an icon, represents "the watch".
A friend of mine bought a 6 digit LN sub recently. I looked at it many times, I wore it, but there is something that disturbs me.
When I look at him with the watch on his wrist, I find it cool but, whenever I look at MY wrist, I fall in love again... every time.
I can't explain, it seems to me the 5 digits is more balanced and reminds me a classy man, the 6 digits reminds me a bodybuilder... a little too much :D
The only one that I like a little is the 114060. The lack of the date and the simmetry on the dial, makes everything looks tidier.

For the GMT I'm a little bit confused at the moment. Never wore one, both of the 5 and the 6 digits, but I like the look of both, in the different way they results.
I would like to try them on the wrist....

Gavmeister

Feb 6, 2018
Australia
Funnily enough, that's one of the ones that turns me off... the dark mustard lettering in the ceramic, the ceramic itself, they both pale next to the 16613 for me! :)
Mustard!??? Going to kick Louis' bum if he used mustard and not 14K gold!! ;)

Yeah - would also like to add the 16613 to the collection.

PACCBET

не за горами
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Canada
I can't even get past four :p

Although I do love transitional models like 16800, 16750, 16660 etc.

Spectre007

Mar 3, 2018
I love them all in a different way. I haven't handled many gen 4 digit but I do think watches of that era have a special beauty about them. Very tooly with a touch of class. Everyone needs at least 1 plastic watch in the collection. My Speedy scratches that itch for me but I'd be happy to add more to the collection.

5 digit are the perfect blend of tool and luxury. The size of the watches fit pretty much any man's wrist. They add applied markings to the dial which add some shine and luxury. Built very well and my only real knock on them are the bracelets though I'd imagine later models/transitional pieces with SEL would help remedy that.

6 digit models pretty much confirm Rolex' acknowledgement of the modern watch scene. Bigger sizes, very blingy, and while still built to the highest standard of a tool watch are first and foremost a luxury piece of jewelry. Some people knock the modern Sub but on the wrist it is fantastic. It just doesn't photograph as well. They way these watches manipulate light is a sight to behold.

I truly believe the next Submariner will knock it out of the park. They will slim down the lugs while still managing to keep its larger wrist presence. I would've said that they may have made it slightly bigger but I think the SD43 seems to indicate that Rolex has made the option for people who want a bigger Sub.

That being said, I think certain 6 digit models will not be looked at too favorably in the grand scheme of things. 4 and 5 digit models all have their place but I think certain 6 digit models will be widely regarded as inferior to their successors. The Explorer II and Submariner are two that I can think of. Rolex will probably retire the Batman color scheme so it will always have its place in history, same with the Milgauss offerings. The SD43 will always have the Red Text and so on.

One thing I can say for certain, regardless of opinions on aesthetic changes, Rolex has consistently improved the quality of their watches. There is a shocking amount of difference between a 6 digit and 4 digit but of course the 4 digit will always have that special charm.