Cervical spine surgery

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
Hey guys,

I’m excited and just wanted to share my joy and struggle.

Some of you who know me from RWI may be aware of the struggle I’ve been having with chronic neck and upper back pain, as well as limitations with the use of my upper extremities over the last four years.

Below is an email I sent six months ago which provides the Coles Notes of my experiences.

“I've been having chronic neck and back pain for the last 48 months. It took me two years to finally meet with Dr blank Orthopedic surgeon at blank, he said "i can't say surgery will help and I can't say it won't, you might be in pain forever". i told him I acknowledge that and accept the risks and would like to talk about moving forward with surgery. He said in that case we need a second
opinion and he will refer me to Dr blank. I told him I've already been waiting two years to meet blank. He replied that he will expedite my referral. I waited two weeks and then called Blank office to find out that I'm on a two year wait list.

On the advice of a doctor friend I asked my sports doctor, Dr Blank, for a referral to a Dr blank in another city and that it might be faster. Lucky for me I got an appointment within 7 months. So i'm meeting him in March of 2018.

My MRI shows severe right side protrusion at c5-c6, touching c6 nerve route. Mild degeneration at c4-c5 and c6-c7. I have numbness in both hands but no shooting pains. My pain experience is in the traps, rhomboids, infraspinatus, ect ect. They say I have myofascial pain syndrome, there are knots all over my upper back and neck. I
have constant stiffness and dull aching pain, except when it flairs up of course it becomes unbearably worse.

I've been doing phyio, massage, and just started chiro as well this year. In three years none of these modalities have made an improvement, only managing flare ups. I've been on max dose NSAIDS for three years, I've tried Gabapentin, and nabilone which both make me sick. So now I'm use 1000 mg a day of Naproxen and CBD oil, which maybe helps, maybe doesn't, but it does not make me sick.

I'm in year two of psych nursing school and we have a clinical in hospital in November. Unfortunately one of the course leaders has
told the accessibility services (disability) coordinator that she does not want to accomodate my condition for the clinical and that I should provide a doctors note declaring me fit for nursing duty. If i can't do the clinical I will have to leave the program. I've invested 2.5 years into my education now and $30,000. If I have to
stop the program i will have to start making repayments on my students loans without a source of income.

My Physio is mr blank at blank Physio. he actually works directly with the spine clinic at the hospital. He is really good at what he does but he as almost given up hope that we can make it better without surgery.

Dr blank is my sports doctor at blank, been seeing him for over ten years. you probably know of him, he is amazing. He is also adamant that I need the operation.

The spine clinic physio who assessed me in November of 2016 said 100% that my pain syndrome is unrelated to the disc problem and that I do not need surgery.

The pain doctor at blank says the same.

They both were proven wrong when Dr Johnson admitted he could not make that claim in March of 2017.

I am praying that when i meet Dr blank in March of 2018 he will agree to operate that summer so i can get back to school pain free.

I was just wondering if you have any advice having been through a similar situation. You obviously found the canadian system not
satisfactory since you had the operation in Germany.

thanks”

I’m relieved to have been told by the surgeon after we compared a new X-ray to my fifteen month old MRI that there has been further collapse of the discs and the next step is to operate.

My pain has been so bad and so chronic the past few years that it got to the point where I decided that the only way I could escape it was by death.

He’s going to do an artificial disc replacement at c5-c6 and a fusion at c6-c7.

I’m done school this year on May 4th and I’m on a cancellation list, so as of May 5th I’ll be waiting by the phone for a call to be there the following day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
@Maron, I wish you the best of luck with your sugery. My mom has had serious chronic back pain for years. It really sux.

Please let us know how it goes.

Sending positive thoughts and vibes.

Reactions: Maron

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Wow, that's quite an ordeal -- I wish you the best of luck with both surgery and school. It's ridiculous that they can refuse to accommodate.

What's your rehab timeline look like post surgery?

MrE

Content Contributor
Feb 27, 2018
@Maron, I understand completely what you're going through - I'm in chronic pain myself.

I wish you all the power and luck in the world for you to go through this situation and come out smiling :)

OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
@Maron, I wish you the best of luck with your sugery. My mom has had serious chronic back pain for years. It really sux.

Please let us know how it goes.

Sending positive thoughts and vibes.
I appreciate your thoughts. I feel for your mother, chronic pain can ruin your life. And the feeling of helplessness and hopelessness is even worse.

OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
Wow, that's quite an ordeal -- I wish you the best of luck with both surgery and school. It's ridiculous that they can refuse to accommodate.

What's your rehab timeline look like post surgery?
Thanks Scott. The professor had valid concerns regarding my ability to practice safe care at the hospital. The problem was they had never dealt with this situation before and handled it poorly. It took months of negotiating between the disability advocates and the faculty until finally the dean stepped in and told them they have to make reasonable accommodations. In the end it worked out but it was very stressful.

I don’t know exactly what the rehab looks like, the surgeon and I did not actually discuss it lol. I guess we both knew I was having the operation no matter what, and our healthcare is different than US. We are not paying for a service so they have no incentive to treat us like we are. I hope that makes sense, it’s not like we get bad service, it’s just that the surgeons and doctors are not competing for our business.

Anyway, I spoke to my physio and he said my recovery depends on what they do during the surgery, which to an extent is unknown until they open me up. I’m looking at one night in the hospital, home the next day. Resting at home for one to three weeks. 3 months for the fusion to set,one year for the bone to become really strong. The artificial disc is much faster, it’s the fusion which takes time. I’m guessing it will be about three months until activities of daily living are normal? Maybe a year until I could lift weights and run normally? These are just guesses.

OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
@Maron, I understand completely what you're going through - I'm in chronic pain myself.

I wish you all the power and luck in the world for you to go through this situation and come out smiling :)
Thank you. If you’ll allow me to toot my own horn, I’m a pretty resilient individual. The last years have been tough but mostly I smile. At least i fake it enough that most people look at me and have no idea about my struggle, except that I have a special chair for class and that I’m always squirming around and can’t sit still.

My wife knows different lol

I wish you the best with your own struggle

Reactions: MrE

Luxuracer

Noob Friendly
Feb 23, 2018
I hope your surgery will be fully effective and quickly leads to no pain ... @Maron

Thank goodness for modern medicine! I hope you recover from your procedure quickly.

Best,

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
@Maron thanks for sharing, and hopefully everything turns out great for you. I'll be rooting for a full recovery for you brother.

cpd2186

Mar 11, 2018
At times we may think our lives suck until we hear stories like this! I rarely experience any back pain and I am soooooo thankful. You will be in my prayers Maron, wish you the best.

OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
At times we may think our lives suck until we hear stories like this! I rarely experience any back pain and I am soooooo thankful. You will be in my prayers Maron, wish you the best.
thank you. Sometimes I have had to remind myself that it could always be worse

Reactions: cpd2186

Nivka

Content Contributor
Feb 19, 2018
Terrible luck to have degenerative changes at such a young age. Here’s hoping the surgery provides you with relief. I’m glad the surgeon hasn’t given you blind false hope.

Have you tried other neuropathic analgesics like amitryptiline?

Sub007

Feb 7, 2018
Mate, wish you all the best and man you´re going through quite an ordeal and having these chronic pains that never go away must be exhausting and nerve wrecking. Respect that you share your story and hope that surgery will relieve you from the pain and helps to heal. You have a whole life in front and lot´s of nice reps to wear and talk about here and on RWI...so hang in there mate and keep us posted so we can pull you through when you´re down and out. Take care and best regards from a Dutch Guy that cares

PACCBET

не за горами
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Canada
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am sending you wishes for a speedy recovery and return to good health. We will be here if there’s anything (y)

Last edited:

EazyE

Diplomat
Diplomat
Dec 22, 2017
@Maron thank you for sharing! I wish you the most luck with both the surgery and schooling as well as a speedy recovery!!

Stay strong brother!

OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
Terrible luck to have degenerative changes at such a young age. Here’s hoping the surgery provides you with relief. I’m glad the surgeon hasn’t given you blind false hope.

Have you tried other neuropathic analgesics like amitryptiline?
Haha. How about the moderate degeneration of my symphysis pubis and significant scar tissue left adductor at the insertion. God made me quite the athlete, he just didn’t build me to last.

I’ve tried diclofenac, naproxen, gabapentin, nabilone, cbd, thc. My pain is mostly muscular due to myofascial trigger points caused by the functional deficiency of my neck, not so much neuropathic pain from the nerves. My nerve Sx are numbness.

Mostly I use a topical compound containing diclofenac, gabapentin, and lidocaine.

Of course narcotics work but that is not a long term solution and they wouldn’t prescribe them to me.