Love in Rep but not in Gen

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I have never been particularly drawn to owning Pams . For a long time ( 20 years or so) I wasn't buying reps, only Gens. I had a few Pams, but moved them on fairly rapidly.
Now I am buying more and more Reps, I am strangely drawn to them. I arecently receive my 2nd, a VSF 321 and I am quite excited about it.

Is it possible that I just felt the Gens were such utterly dreadful value for money for what they offered.
The good Pam Reps, and there are some truly great ones, seem to offer really good value

Any watches you guys have never been drawn to in Gen form but will buy the rep?

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
I have never been particularly drawn to owning Pams . For a long time ( 20 years or so) I wasn't buying reps, only Gens. I had a few Pams, but moved them on fairly rapidly.
Now I am buying more and more Reps, I am strangely drawn to them. I arecently receive my 2nd, a VSF 321 and I am quite excited about it.

Is it possible that I just felt the Gens were such utterly dreadful value for money for what they offered.
The good Pam Reps, and there are some truly great ones, seem to offer really good value

Any watches you guys have never been drawn to in Gen form but will buy the rep?
Yes! PAMs I have zero interest in gen they don’t offer any value for the cash. But as gen it looks the same and feels like a great value. Same goes for most IWC models imo. Anything using an eta in gen :)

Reactions: Timnic54

martijnp

Content Contributor
Jan 19, 2018
Indeed, I love Panerai a lot but I will never spend the big money on a genuine when I know the reps are so close

bobandshawn

Mar 24, 2018
Why pay for all their advertising and fancy overhead? I LOVE building my own...now THERE's value!

B

Nivka

Content Contributor
Feb 19, 2018
I’d never pay thousands for a pam, but I have two reps because they cost me hundreds and even though I don’t wear them often they’re not worth selling because they’re such good value.

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I’d never pay thousands for a pam, but I have two reps because they cost me hundreds and even though I don’t wear them often they’re not worth selling because they’re such good value.
I am the same with Pams . I would never in a million years buy a Gen. But a few hundred $ for a great Rep makes them kind of interesting for an occasional wear.

Spectre007

Mar 3, 2018
100% PAM. I have one but I rarely wear it. A TD had a huge sell on the boutique models that are considered Super Reps. I had to give it a try.

Would I ever buy a GEN Pam? Not in a million years. They are a complete rip off and I don't like them enough to justify the price. Once a month though, I do appreciate the piece.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I wish I like PAMs. Maybe one day I will try one that looks good on a smaller wrist.

Sloaner

Mar 20, 2018
Well... PAMs.

They're sort of the fashion brand ie the Daniel Wellington's of high end luxury watches. Only made famous through Sylvester Stallone. But the reps on the other hand, offer great value and I personally like the bulky PAM look.

Reactions: Timnic54

Subterfuge

Mar 10, 2018
a modern day rolex submariner. 14060, 16610 and up.

i bought myself a 36mm gen explorer 1 instead, and may drop good coin for a nicely patinated 5512/5513, but there's simply nothing special about a brand new sub.

SinSir

Watchaholic
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
Chicago
I'm a PAM fan, but I would have a difficult time buying one in GEN. There are times I've thought to myself maybe I'll get this in GEN because I like it so much. Then after I think about it, I'd rather spend the money on some high end straps and a couple more PAMs to rotate.

drifter

Mar 31, 2018
Always wanted to try one , maybe I'll get one down day. Rep course

They do look cool but bulky .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

efthi

Content Contributor
Mar 30, 2018
I got a couple PAMs last summer, excellent value and for sure not going to get any genuine Panerai.. reps are just amazing really!!
c967fadc80f1a49dd2c20feae2be1db0.jpg
86268c7dbccb0fdf4f025bd0dac243f1.jpg
775cebdf66a2fbda59a2ba40edcf19b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Nivka and drifter