Movie Talk

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Seen any good movies recently? Old ones, new ones, doesn't matter.

If you haven't seen it, Hostiles is great. It's definitely not your typical shoot-em-up western. The story, the visuals, the acting, and the character development are all solid. As usual, Christian Bale puts in a terrific performance. A definite 'thumbs up'.

Reactions: PACCBET

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Super pumped for Black Panther, which comes out a week later here in Japan. I love the music in the trailer so I'm hoping for a great soundtrack this time around; the TV shows have been great but the movies have been a bit lackluster.

One (anime) movie that I've loved recently is called A Silent Voice (聲の形、koe no katachi). It's one of the most realistic-feeling looks into Japanese life (though it revolves around high school kids) and also deafness that I've ever seen regardless of the format.

Speaking of deafness, another (completely different but still accurate) portrayal of deafness I've loved in movies is See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. It's a comedy (and a pretty good one at that) but one of the main characters is deaf and it's handled more realistically than I've ever seen.

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Super pumped for Black Panther, which comes out a week later here in Japan. I love the music in the trailer so I'm hoping for a great soundtrack this time around; the TV shows have been great but the movies have been a bit lackluster.

One (anime) movie that I've loved recently is called A Silent Voice (聲の形、koe no katachi). It's one of the most realistic-feeling looks into Japanese life (though it revolves around high school kids) and also deafness that I've ever seen regardless of the format.

Speaking of deafness, another (completely different but still accurate) portrayal of deafness I've loved in movies is See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. It's a comedy (and a pretty good one at that) but one of the main characters is deaf and it's handled more realistically than I've ever seen.
Black Panther is coming out in 2 days here. It looks promising.

It's really impressive when an actor can realistically portray a person with a physical or mental disability. A few off the top of my head are Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind, Eddie Redmayne in A Theory of Everything, Brad Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook, and Colin Firth in The King's Speech.
A good actor has to really become the character.
Colin Firth had a hard time losing his stutter after playing that role.

bkg!

Jan 5, 2018
One of the best movies I've seen in recent times for its 'realness' was Southpaw. The story is fantastic, the script is great, the acting top notch, and the cinematography is quote a marvel in modern day era of CGI and green screens. I was very impressed and not ashamed one bit to say it actually moved me to tears, being a father of girls myself.
Most films ruin the story of the original book (where there had been one of course). One I did enjoy the film of, albeit largely different from the novel, was Derailed, with Clive Owen and Jennifer Anniston. If you've not seen it, its well worth checking out

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
One of the best movies I've seen in recent times for its 'realness' was Southpaw. The story is fantastic, the script is great, the acting top notch, and the cinematography is quote a marvel in modern day era of CGI and green screens. I was very impressed and not ashamed one bit to say it actually moved me to tears, being a father of girls myself.
Most films ruin the story of the original book (where there had been one of course). One I did enjoy the film of, albeit largely different from the novel, was Derailed, with Clive Owen and Jennifer Anniston. If you've not seen it, its well worth checking out
I have not seen either of these. I'll have to add them to the list.

So I just got Training Day. It's from 2001, supposed to be good. It's been on my list to check out.

bkg!

Jan 5, 2018
I have not seen either of these. I'll have to add them to the list.

So I just got Training Day. It's from 2001, supposed to be good. It's been on my list to check out.
That’s a great movie too, Denzel and Hakwe are great in it. Very dirty, gritty film, with a good story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bangsters

Content Contributor
Dec 23, 2017
CONUS
www.pixelsbin.com

How's A Silent Voice? Netflix?

Definitely watching Black Panther this weekend with my kid.

PACCBET

не за горами
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
Canada
The last movie I saw was Phantom Thread. Daniel Day Lewis' last movie before he retired. That guy is amazing.

This though, is probably the most poignant and beautifully shot movie I've seen but it's not for everyone

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Darkest Hour was great. Caution: the trailer is long so it sheds some light on events in the movie.

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Highly recommend, "The Post." Flawless, IMHO.

"Molly's Game" is a great movie, too. Aaron Sorkin's screenplay keeps it moving nicely. Jessica Chastain is not hard to look at, either. :p
Both are on my "to see" list.

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
My expectations are really low for Solo unfortunately:(
The lower the expectations, the more likely you are to enjoy it, right? :)

Ii was under-impressed by Episodes 7 and 8, but thought they did a great job with Rogue One. I'm hoping this will be another good spin-off.

Nivka

Content Contributor
Feb 19, 2018
My expectations are really low for Solo unfortunately:(
The lower the expectations, the more likely you are to enjoy it, right? :)

Ii was under-impressed by Episodes 7 and 8, but thought they did a great job with Rogue One. I'm hoping this will be another good spin-off.
I’ve enjoyed the three they’ve made so far. Obviously not a patch on the originals, but enjoyable nonetheless.

With the director change and the casting of solo, it’ll be amazing if they can pull this off

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I’ve enjoyed the three they’ve made so far. Obviously not a patch on the originals, but enjoyable nonetheless.

With the director change and the casting of solo, it’ll be amazing if they can pull this off
For sure, but I hope they do. Solo is such a great character. It was shame they got rid of him.