Photos Rep and Gen comparison

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Photo's Rep and Gen comparing

When comparing Rep photos taken by TD to Gen photos on the Watch companies site. It is very important to realise that what you are comparing is a very long way from like for like. Watch company websites have multi million dollar budgets and the photos are a long way from real.
Look at Rolex for example. The photos are about as close to CGI as you can get. In fact the producers of these images use computerised stacking to put perfect parts of photos together as one image.
The marketing people at Rolex straddle the line between CGI and real image with the fence implanted firmly in their nether region, you may be forgiven for thinking this area is already fully occupied by their heads, but lets not get bitchy.

On the other hand TDs are often less than adequate photographers .
Often the lighting is bad, they are not shooting even in full frame and they frequently use wide angle lenses, too close, which distort the case shape and dial/markers
If you compare your Gen Rolex with the photos on the Rolex site you could be forgiven for thinking you have been sold something sub standard.
It is probably reasonable to say the Manufacturers website images are more about how the watch should be than how it is.

By far the best comparison is to look for images taken by shops and owners. At least you will be closer to comparing like for like

How do you guys go about your research image wise?

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
they frequently use wide angle lenses, too close, which distort the case shape and dial/markers
This times a million.

TOMXcGl.jpg

This is the same lady with pictures taken in the same pose with multiple lenses.

Look how much the wide lenses distort her face in the bottom row and imagine how things like dial marker alignment and case shape are distorted by this kind of problem!

Reactions: phdsjain

WatchGuy

Dec 22, 2017
i try to take my gen comparison pics from forum reviews, or forums sales or similar type threads. Same with reps.

Usually, the guys making those threads arent photoshopping or touching up images too much.

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
i try to take my gen comparison pics from forum reviews, or forums sales or similar type threads. Same with reps.

Usually, the guys making those threads arent photoshopping or touching up images too much.

Good policy :)