Retirement

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Retirement fills my mind almost every day of my life. I'm really tired of working my ass off and I really don't want to be doing this for the rest of my life only to settle into a "retirement" where I STILL have to work for a lower quality of life.

I play around with FIRECalc (https://www.firecalc.com/) regularly to see what kind of retirement fund I'd need to maintain a given quality of life and the results are always disappointing.

Right now I'm looking at a required $2,000,000 tucked away to sustain a $50k/yr income over 30 years (inflation accounted for) with a buffer for accidents and medical emergencies/age-related things. That's not a whole lot of money to live off of if you're paying city rent, so I'd probably have to move to the country or something. That's also less than my current salary, which is a bummer since my regular payments for medical issues (normal ones, not extraordinary ones) will no doubt go up.

The worst part is that I don't have a significant fraction of that already tucked away, so as a savings goal, it seems pretty unrealistic.

If I scale back in terms of savings goals to see what I could realistically have tucked away at my current salary, the picture gets even more depressing...

I know people in their late 30s who've thought about this even less than I have and are tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt -- it just blows my mind.

People here seem to think that pension will take care of them, but the Japanese pension system pays out roughly $7k/yr -- maybe enough to cover a year's rent in a modest apartment out in the country.

I dunno, it's just all depressing to think about, but the numbers don't lie.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
WTF...

I have 46 years civil service... no social secuirity...never paid in to it...I hope and I think I will be OK...but it is what it is...I was hoping to make 50 years with the Postal Service...I don't think it's going to happen...

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I was hoping to make 50 years with the Postal Service...I don't think it's going to happen...
Have a friend in Pittsburgh, his father was fired after 29 years... such bullshit. He had medical issues from working with USPS, they knew about it, and they canned him for performance. I think they have an ongoing suit...

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Well, looking for a bright side. At least for every additional year you work, that's one year less of retirement funds you'll need :)

Edit: Scott, this was in response to your first post. I see some new posts came in after that.

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Well, looking for a bright side. At least for every additional year you work, that's one year less of retirement funds you'll need :)
On the less bright side, the amount of money I need to be saving is higher than my pre-tax salary.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
WTF...

I have 46 years civil service... no social secuirity...never paid in to it...I hope and I think I will be OK...but it is what it is...I was hoping to make 50 years with the Postal Service...I don't think it's going to happen...
That's commitment. They'd better give you a good pension!

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
On the less bright side, the amount of money I need to be saving is higher than my pre-tax salary.
You're in Japan, right? Are you in Tokyo. From what I've heard, that's one of the most expensive cities on the planet.

OP
Scott

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
You're in Japan, right? Are you in Tokyo. From what I've heard, that's one of the most expensive cities on the planet.
I don't think it's THAT expensive -- rent in NY and SF is way higher, for example. But yeah, that's one of the reasons why I mention living out in the country for retirement -- lower rent. Even so, bleh.

If I go for a more realistic savings goal, I end up with something like $21k/yr. to live off of, which is... not a nice idea. Especially considering that my hearing costs alone would be a decent fraction of that. I'm really not sure how anyone ever manages to retire, at this rate.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I am (Kind of) retired. I had the chance to sell my company, a bid was in place, but my company is very stable and I know it well. When I did all the math, what may seem to some people to be a very large sum, once tax paid and divided between partners if invested securely ( No point in investing it speculatively ) would not provide me even half the income I get now.
I decided not to sell what I see as a very stable and secure company. Instead I have increased delegation levels and work maybe 2 hours a day from home keeping an eye on the rudder and prevailing weather.
That said I am just over 3 years into this retirement situation and getting bored already.

I am just about to launch a new business. I will still maintain high levels of delegation. Maybe increase my work load to 3 days a week.

Reactions: Scott

cpd2186

Mar 11, 2018
I don't understand the theory of retirement! I hear of so many people that retire and are dead in two years. I think we should change our idea of retirement as Timic54 stated, work just 2-3 days a week. this keeps you still active with plenty of time off. My goal was to be debt free so I could support my life off a job at McDonalds if needed. Almost there and to work 3 days a week doing my profession or whatever you do is a wonderful life! Take the stress off of having millions in savings, pay off your debt and just cruise..

Reactions: Phil G

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
The life cycle needs to be reversed...you come into the world "Old" and go from there.

All of your work years and bullshit come early...then you spend the rest of your life doing all the fun shit from when you were young...and you die a baby...

Make sense...:unsure:

Reactions: Timnic54

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I don't understand the theory of retirement! I hear of so many people that retire and are dead in two years. I think we should change our idea of retirement as Timic54 stated, work just 2-3 days a week. this keeps you still active with plenty of time off. My goal was to be debt free so I could support my life off a job at McDonalds if needed. Almost there and to work 3 days a week doing my profession or whatever you do is a wonderful life! Take the stress off of having millions in savings, pay off your debt and just cruise..

Reactions: cpd2186

Fiddo

Follow the Light
Diplomat
Jan 30, 2018
You guys really need/needed to plan more effectively, like I did. I got it all figured out------------->

I should be winning the lottery any day now. :giggle:

Reactions: Phil G and cpd2186