TC YM

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
When a TC is mentioned, it is usually a sub. But TC also made YMs.

How good are the TC YMs?

How do they compare to the Noob YM?

I'm considering a YM and am wondering if it's worth trying to find a TC.

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017

How good are the TC YMs?

The TC would be a 5 digit vs the Noob would be a 6 digit.
From what I've seen the TC YM is very very nice.

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
It’s the best 5 digit YM I’ve seen And I’ve been around for a LONG TIME.
Glad you are here. The accumulated knowledge of the people on the forum is amazing. I’ve worn reps for decades, but I only started leaning about them less than 2 years ago (near the end of the TC era].

I like the 5 digit versions. I did a WTB post for one. You never know....

Not_this_guy

Mar 13, 2018
Thanks, they are my fav as well. Years ago I knew Tom well and he did make the BEST WATCHES. I know he’s doing ok now, it’s sad we all don’t still have access to the Caddell Rogue!!!

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Thanks, they are my fav as well. Years ago I knew Tom well and he did make the BEST WATCHES. I know he’s doing ok now, it’s sad we all don’t still have access to the Caddell Rogue!!!
There is definitely a market for what he offered.

I was hoping Loco Louie would fill the gap, but that ship has sailed (or, more accurately, crashed and burned].

I’m really liking what @JJS is doing.

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017

How good are the TC YMs?

The 5 digit subs only have 4 options. They are Sean, wm9, tc, and noob.

The order of best to worst is (and this is stock only) - wm9/TC FD - these are actually the same watch as tc bought the remaining stock of them, tc KH Elabore, Sean, noob.

The Sean is the only case that can be Franken we correctly. The noob is garbage and requires shaving parts if using anything gen and are super hard to find anyway. The tc kh elabore is nice and new looking but is too shiny on the dial. The wm9 is best hands down. The only issue slightly over filled lume plots. If you can fix it then it’s amazing. Here’s a pic of mine with hitman relumed with fixed plots 99B900E0-BD91-4E6F-92A9-31EF6FE5EB41.jpeg

The 6 digits the newest version of the noob sa3135 is very good but never got to the same level of quality of the wm9 ym. But if you want the ar cyclops and glidelock it’s irrelevant. I own both the noob 116622 and the wm9 and feel comfortable and happy wearing both.

Hope that helps!

OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
The 5 digit subs only have 4 options. They are Sean, wm9, tc, and noob.

The order of best to worst is (and this is stock only) - wm9/TC FD - these are actually the same watch as tc bought the remaining stock of them, tc KH Elabore, Sean, noob.

The Sean is the only case that can be Franken we correctly. The noob is garbage and requires shaving parts if using anything gen and are super hard to find anyway. The tc kh elabore is nice and new looking but is too shiny on the dial. The wm9 is best hands down. The only issue slightly over filled lume plots. If you can fix it then it’s amazing. Here’s a pic of mine with hitman relumed with fixed plots View attachment 12123

The 6 digits the newest version of the noob sa3135 is very good but never got to the same level of quality of the wm9 ym. But if you want the ar cyclops and glidelock it’s irrelevant. I own both the noob 116622 and the wm9 and feel comfortable and happy wearing both.

Hope that helps!
Super helpful. Thank you very much.

Reactions: JackJ1980
OP
PlanetZoom

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
I've been curious for a while. Who/what are wm9, FD and Sean?

I've seen wm9 and Sean referenced many times, and I know they go back years. But I've never read who/what they actually are. Are they builders/modders like TC? Factories? Something else?

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
Good question.

Sean was a small maker who made the best subs period. They also made the only 3135 compatible YM. Their watches begin with F serials.

Wm9 (watchmaker9) was the original high end maker for subs. All of their watches have a Z serial. They had the best gold plating also for the 16613 and the best cases and dials etc and for pretty much all watches they made. The YM was at the end of their run. It’s virtuwlly perfect but a small difference in the red letting for yachtmaster.

TC (Thomas caddell) came after wm9. In the beginning they purchased the old inventory of wm9. The TC V series was the last model wm9 made (and arguably best case made ever once engraving is removed). The TC “factory direct” yachtmaster was really just the remaining inventory of the wm9 YM. When that supply ran out TC used their” “KH” dial maker” to create a new dial and parts and used their new elabore movement. This is very good but the dial is too sparkly and shiny. Except for the watches TC bought from wm9, their cases did not have engravings.

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
There are also TW Best and MBW also from back in the day. I don’t know as much about them except TW made the best gold DD with white dial :)