watch winding

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

ericocean

Feb 19, 2018
I'm new to the hobby and have always been concerned that I'm about to overwind the watches. I'm sure I'll get better at an understanding of over tightening the watch. Is this a major concern? I usually just wind them 10 or 12 times. How can I be sure I'm not about to over tighten it? Any help would sure be appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Eric

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Wind your auto 30-40 turns...then wear it...you'll be good...

I try and wind all of my watches about 30 turns every few days just to keep things moving...whether I'm wearing them or not...

Quartz not withstanding LOL.

Reactions: Scott

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
I've heard you can't overwind a watch...but I for one don't want to see how far I can go...

Wind slow and easy...you can feel when it is getting tight...then STOP...Like I said an auto...if you are wearing it...it will keep winding itself...I'm sure you know that...

OP
ericocean

ericocean

Feb 19, 2018
Oh yeah I do, just didn’t want to break anything.
I’ve already had one expensive mistake by pulling the stem out of a brand spanking new ARF Sub. Beautiful watch. Then sent it back only to get caught up in customs. So I guess I’m a little gun shy.

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
Gently my friend...unfortunately these are reps not gens...that being said...I handle all of my watches like eggs...

WingNut

Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
And just so you know...I have had some come apart in my hands...nature of the beast...It sucks, but it happens...

MrTimeZone

Trusted Dealer
Feb 28, 2018
www.mrtimezone.net
And just so you know...I have had some come apart in my hands...nature of the beast...It sucks, but it happens...
We're talking about watches here mate? :D

To add manual wind watches pretty much store energy like automatic watches, only for these watches they don't have the mechanism which slips when the spring is fully wound. Therefore you muse take care when winding these. There is usually two indicators, the first being some recoil on the crown, which indicates the spring getting very wound, and the hard stop, which means the spring is fully wound and cannot be wound anymore. Do not go beyond this point. Some customers ask how many winds before this happens, there is no exact number. Just remember these two indicators and you'll be fine.

OP
ericocean

ericocean

Feb 19, 2018
I’ll definitely remember what you just said! I’m starting to realize that I have to very careful. It’s sure a fun hobby though.

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
You can overwind a manual watch, so don't do it. See post above from @MrTimeZone.

In theory, you cannot overwind an automatic watch. But it's best to not overwind it anyway. Just because you can't overwind it doesn't mean the mechanism can't break with excessive or improper use.

Also, only wind a watch when it is off your wrist. Winding at an improper angle can put undue stress on the mechanism.

MrTimeZone

Trusted Dealer
Feb 28, 2018
www.mrtimezone.net
You can overwind a manual watch, so don't do it. See post above from @MrTimeZone.

In theory, you cannot overwind an automatic watch. But it's best to not overwind it anyway. Just because you can't overwind it doesn't mean the mechanism can't break with excessive or improper use.

Also, only wind a watch when it is off your wrist. Winding at an improper angle can put undue stress on the mechanism.
An automatic watch has a clutch mechanism in the movement which disengages the crown when the movement is full wound. A manual watch does not have that. But that said, do not wind and wind the crown on automatics as the gears inside the movement aren't as robust as the ones in gen movements. ;)

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
You only need to wind your automatic watch if it has run down its’ power and stopped. Wind it 20 to 30 times to power it up and then put it on your wrist, your actions will keep it powered, assuming you move around enough. If you don’t wind it before you put it on your wrist your watch will likely continue to run but it won’t be at full power therefore your time keeping will not be 100%.

Of course if you do a search on google you will find plenty of evidence that winding your eta 28xx movements will wear out the parts over time, no doubt Asian clones will come out worse. I don’t think that should be a concern considering the parts are inexpensive and you should be servicing the movement every 5+ years anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk