What can HoBos provide that other forums don't have?

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Just some brainstorming ideas... none of these are simple, sadly. @PlanetZoom has been doing a great job with general and specific knowledge posts and this is by no means an effort to detract from that -- just trying to think about ways to make HoBo more active and special.

- A rep wiki like ALE's guide, but for EVERY rep... in searchable wiki format

- A lively scam busting section; not something like those instagram guys who "bust" random people wearing reps, but actual scams on the bay, Amazon, etc.

- A more lively DIY section (@NCRich has been holding down the fort nicely), maybe something like homage forum?

- More sales! Searchability! I don't know if anyone here's on RPF, but RPF has an amazing-looking sales forum with everything featured by thumbnail

- Articles for newbies (I mean, NEWbies... when I first started, I didn't know a quartz from an automatic from a manual from a pocketwatch)

- More outreach to other less knowledgeable rep communities (e.g. Reddit)

Any other ideas? What can we do?

Kilowattore

Content Contributor
Feb 4, 2018
For sure the HF has been lacking new blood for a while. I have no word on that of course but maybe the community will want a lively and working forum sooner or later.

The rep wiki might be a good idea but being opinions on watches so subjective I think it could work only if one single person sets the standard like ALE did.

Omegex

Mar 3, 2018
Essex,UK
Any other ideas? What can we do?
Over on RWG, they have the Aliexpress/DHGate Mess section which is only viewable by VIP's (Diplomats in our case). I know that @NCRich as well as myself have bought watches from those sites. Would you want to be "copying" that type of idea from other forums (Fora?)

Reactions: Scott

muscles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
I love them. i think some if these we are already in the process of implementing. @PlanetZoom has taken the load on some of these (thanks brother). We will have more as we grow. A wiki we will have, but something that is closely integrated, not somthing that looks out of place.

newbie section there is, although not much content yet.

keep em coming guys!! we will make them happen :) .... boobies.... hmmm..... we have ladies here so not sure how that'll be accepted..... lol....

Spinman

Dec 22, 2017
These are all great ideas. Thank you for them and thanks to those that are implementing them.
Ale's guide to Pam's is amazing... We are fortunate to have the equally amazing NWBIG guide from @Timnic54
These quality guides are immensely beneficial and informative to everyone.

Reactions: Scott

Rx4Time

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 23, 2017
Probably a myth vs reality discussion on reps for new members. Angus of puretime had a beautiful thread on RWI which gave me more grasp of the hobby then any other section when I first started researching reps. He also helped me with what was the realistic expectations.

Spinman

Dec 22, 2017
What types of tutorials would you guys like to see in the diy section? I can put some up if you guys wanna see certain things.
Things like Dan's video of removing/replacing crystals. How to change the bezels, etc.
Specific gasket height's to achieve the correct magnification, etc.
Maybe links to some basic tools and products that we should all have, etc.
Even noting things like lubing shouldn't be done with vaseline, etc. Most noobs probably would never think that it could cause the gaskets to break down.