16610 vs 16600 franken

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
Hey guys,

I am planning to sell a few of my watches and do a franken of one or the other. Budget of about $2200.
Serviced sh3135
Rolex hands
Role dial
Rolex date
Rolex crystal
Rolex bezel and insert
Rolex crown and tube
Replica case
Replica bracelet

If I chose 16610 I already have a TC extreme with bracelet, or should I search for a TC V6 case, or JF case and bracelet.

If I chose 16600 I already have a bp 16600 with eta 2824 case which has been modded to fit a genuine spec crystal. It would need further modding to fit a yuki and a genuine bezel. Additionally the case is not genuine spec and the completed build will still have wrong stem height.

Somebody suggested the bp 16600 sa3135 case accepts all genuine parts, except the case needs work to accept a Rolex bezel.

So what do you guys think? Which one should I choose? Is non Gen spec a deal breaker?8155f8ce8ac3fd472765011762946ee9.jpg2030cfa2523c98882b90d79754148dc1.jpgcdcd9c29564788735d6311a5d8712df4.jpg2a9eaa486cb1eb86a14ee0b3a69aa0e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
Which one should I choose? Is non Gen spec a deal breaker?
If you're putting that much money and that many gen parts on it, it seems like a real shame to go non-gen-spec... just my two cents.

Reactions: Maron

GMTG0D

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2017
At least moderate franken you can pull off with that budget

Nivka

Content Contributor
Feb 19, 2018
I think the Tc is such good value, you have diminishing returns. Adding gen dial, hands, bezel assembly and sh3135 will cost >$1500, but aren’t worth it imo. Insert, crystal and crown otoh are worth it for the Tc.

I know you love your BPSD so would that be diminishing returns too?

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
I think the Tc is such good value, you have diminishing returns. Adding gen dial, hands, bezel assembly and sh3135 will cost >$1500, but aren’t worth it imo. Insert, crystal and crown otoh are worth it for the Tc.

I perfectly agree.

@Maron if you really want to do a Franken, I say do it on the 16600. Money spent on the TC will not give so much plus... is near perfect "as is", but this is just my opinion
And, not to understimate, the SD 16600 is not so common like the 16610.

For the non-gen spec case: don't bother yourself too much for this... who is gonna open your watch to see inside?

OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
Which one should I choose? Is non Gen spec a deal breaker?
If you're putting that much money and that many gen parts on it, it seems like a real shame to go non-gen-spec... just my two cents.
Kind of my thought too. Also the bp case even with all those Rolex parts will have the wrong crown height, the caseback engravings are too shallow.

Reactions: Scott
OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada

My brain agrees with your valuation but my heart wants a 3135 in the watch. I’m also a bezel junkie and I’d like my franken to have a Rolex precision bezel function.

You are correct in that I love my 16600, that is what is making this tough. I love the clean cyclops free look, the little bit of extra thickness and heft.

The one thing I’ve wanted to improve on my bpsd since I received it was the bezel. It clicks okay and is pretty precise with only small play, but it turns to easily. The only solution is to install a rolex bezel which will require to have ado machine the case.

OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada

I perfectly agree.

@Maron if you really want to do a Franken, I say do it on the 16600. Money spent on the TC will not give so much plus... is near perfect "as is", but this is just my opinion
And, not to understimate, the SD 16600 is not so common like the 16610.

For the non-gen spec case: don't bother yourself too much for this... who is gonna open your watch to see inside?
Can you elaborate on your idea about the 16600 being less common please?

The specification is not for others, it is for myself. It is not just about people taking it apart and seeing it. The bp case will require expense case work to fit a Rolex bezel and the sh3135.

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018

The specification is not for others, it is for myself. It is not just about people taking it apart and seeing it. The bp case will require expense case work to fit a Rolex bezel and the sh3135.

I intend that a 16600 is more particular and less "mainstream" compared to a 16610 and maybe is better to spend on this model. :)

I understand the difficult on installing a gen bezel, but before do that you can't try to improve the click and precision with a new click spring?
Honestly all the Sub that I tried had a little play of the bezel on the turning side, no backwards of course.

Reactions: Maron
OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada

I intend that a 16600 is more particular and less "mainstream" compared to a 16610 and maybe is better to spend on this model. :)

I understand the difficult on installing a gen bezel, but before do that you can't try to improve the click and precision with a new click spring?
Honestly all the Sub that I tried had a little play of the bezel on the turning side, no backwards of course.
I agree about the 16600 being less common. It is one of the reasons I like it.

The bezel on bpsd is not bad by any means, it just turns a little too easily. Also, the bezel teeth are poor compared to how the Rolex bezel looks. The only upgrade that would satisfy me would be a full Rolex bezel.

OP
Maron

Maron

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Mar 2, 2018
Canada
TC is the best sub. Stated.
BP have a tick larger fitting for the crystal and compared to old noob SSD V2, better construction bezel, but noob have the best overall shape.
thanks. my bp case has already been modded to take a genuine crystal.

tc is the best sub. or is it? does anybody prefer the JF 16610 to the TC extreme?

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
thanks. my bp case has already been modded to take a genuine crystal.

tc is the best sub. or is it? does anybody prefer the JF 16610 to the TC extreme?
I have both: TC is better... the JF needs some mods to be compared to the TC. But have on his side the 3135 instead of the 2824...
My opinion: TC without any mods is the killer sub OUT OF THE BOX. No need to add or change anything, just enjoy the watch. Any mod will add 0.1%.
The JF is a good base for frankening and could be good as a TC or better (spending much...)