What won't you buy ?

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
Reps are never perfect. Kind the first rule of repdom.

They all have flaws. The flaws we will and won't accept are the deciding factors in which itteretion of a particular watch we choose to buy.

Take for example a Sub. Some ( like me ) must have the keyless running the right way.
Some ( not like me ) are obsessed with a perfect SEL
Others get off on perfect CG . Some people lament that the watch would be perfect, if only it was brushed as gen .
Some won't buy anything with a cyclops, till they get the AR right.

There are however for most of us certain thing we just will not have in any rep.

Mine are

Any visible movement with glued on added wheels which don't function, and usually aren't even straight

Subdials which are present but do not function

Moonphase dials which just tell night or day

Gold plate , or so called Wrapped. Always light as a feather and usually completely the wrong colour

Gold hall marks on a clearly SS watch

That's my no no list

Whats yours ?

Rx4Time

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 23, 2017
Custom, one off movements like the recent Panerai superclone movements. Zero parts available should it need to be repaired. I appreciate them, but personally will not take the risk.

Incorrect thickness and the concurrent sunken date wheel common with modified 7750 based watches like the B01 Breitling.

No gold plated or gold wrapped.

No fake paved dials and bezels.

At this point I pretty much know what I like and will wear, so the list could continue, but these are a few highlights.

Reactions: Timnic54

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
No yellow gold, no jewels, verrrry suspicious of chronos.

If it's something with a distinctive strap, I usually want to make sure I can get a good replacement.

Reactions: Timnic54
OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
No yellow gold, no jewels, verrrry suspicious of chronos.

If it's something with a distinctive strap, I usually want to make sure I can get a good replacement.
Yes! No jewels I agree. They are at best Cubic Zirconia, which look as much like a Diamond as I look like George Clooney !

Rx4Time

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 23, 2017
Yes! No jewels I agree. They are at best Cubic Zirconia, which look as much like a Diamond as I look like George Clooney !
I remember the pictures you posted of yourself and Archie Luxury...you could have been George Clooney's twin. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rush

Content Contributor
Jan 28, 2018
No quartz, when it's supposed to be automatic.

Rep brands I won't buy: Any RM. Who's going to believe it's real when I obviously don't have the life style to support it lol.

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
No quartz, when it's supposed to be automatic.

Rep brands I won't buy: Any RM. Who's going to believe it's real when I obviously don't have the life style to support it lol.
I agree I won't even buy quartz if it is supposed to be quartz!

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
How about gens like a spaceview?
Cant bring myself to wear anything without springs and wheels . The micro mechanicals are the whole basis of my love for watches and horology. I watched the devastation of the quartz crisis, i feel like a traitor if I wear a non mechanical watch.

Reactions: Natas78 and Scott

amptor

Feb 4, 2018
Hercules, California
I don't buy:

black submariners (ok they are okay, I kinda almost think about buying one but not quite yet)
full yellow gold sports watches
replicas with subdials (mainly because I don't like how they look)
yachtmasters & daytonas (daytonas are gaudy imho and scream out fake)

WatchGuy

Dec 22, 2017
I'm a hard no to any rep with gold, quartz, or display caseback with terrible movement deco.

Also a soft no to gens with the same.

Only exception is with a slight touch of gold, but not a lot.

tommy_boy

The old pirate, arrr.
Jan 18, 2018
Location, Location Location.
Rolex. Tag. Hublot. AP. RM. Franck Muller. Seven Friday.

Anything larger than 44mm across.

Anything with an A7750 motor.

Anything paved. I am a boring guy. Just like divers, fliegers and field watches.

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
Almost exactly my list Timnic. I hate fake deco gears, fake subdials, plated or “wrapped” (copper) gold, and also Tudor as a rep (@GMTG0D ).

I would add: dislike any rep Skeleton or “carbon” as it never looks even close to gen. Most open case back watches I shy away from as they are obviously rep and have fake parts/gears/screws. Prefer closed case back.

Reactions: Omegex and Timnic54