What won't you buy ?

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

BackwoodsJon

Trusted Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 22, 2017
in the woods
My list varies and depends entirely on what mountain I am tryin to climb at the moment. Right now it is no quartz, no jewels (real or fake) and that’s about it. I had a pretty hard and fast “no gold” rule, but lately a couple buddies and I started experimenting to see if we can improve on the current offerings..... so down I go into the rabbit hole. Lmao. I just wear what I like, or what I am currently working on. That seems to be the driver of late.

Reactions: Scott

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
My list varies and depends entirely on what mountain I am tryin to climb at the moment. Right now it is no quartz, no jewels (real or fake) and that’s about it. I had a pretty hard and fast “no gold” rule, but lately a couple buddies and I started experimenting to see if we can improve on the current offerings..... so down I go into the rabbit hole. Lmao. I just wear what I like, or what I am currently working on. That seems to be the driver of late.
No bling. This is 100% agreed. Gen or rep actually.

Reactions: Omegex
OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I have a couple of bling convictions and several bling infringements. But Gen only and mostly tasteful.

Hinclimincli

Mar 10, 2018
United Kingdom
That's an interesting one! So far I have a strong no no towards:

-Any watch over 42mm
-Any watch over 14mm thickness
-Any fake subdials
-Any wrong subdials (24h subdial when should be another thing)
-Any skeleton watch
-Any ticking seconds (I can live with a quartz with no seconds, like the AP 15202)

I won't go into details on brands that I'm not interested in because these things change and you never know...

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
That's an interesting one! So far I have a strong no no towards:

-Any watch over 42mm
-Any watch over 14mm thickness
-Any fake subdials
-Any wrong subdials (24h subdial when should be another thing)
-Any skeleton watch
-Any ticking seconds (I can live with a quartz with no seconds, like the AP 15202)

I won't go into details on brands that I'm not interested in because these things change and you never know...
Surely you have an except to the number one point with the BPFF :)

Ssouthall6

Jan 26, 2018
No gold
No ice
No open caseback unless the price to quality ratio is good (I made an exception for a $130 kw pam a while ago)
No TC (or any sub that I can't fill with gen parts in a cost efficient way until I can afford a gen 3135 movement)
No more watches above 42mm (I have two pams, they are too big for my wrist)
No ap chronos until they fix the gap
No spelling mistakes no matter how good the rep is
No BP factory
No miyotas

Most of the collection that has remained the periodic cull over the years has been watches I can Franken well. A Sean case ym, two planet oceans, iwc slevin, iwc cousteau, ARF 116234, ap diver have all stayed the distance whilst other really nice watches have been moved on. Looking back I could easily have bought a few nice gens with the money but where's the fun in that?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alhig72

Content Contributor
Feb 11, 2018
Uk
No gold,no fake gems, no ceramic bezel Rolex,no Rolex without lug holes and nothing to big for my small wrist (although I am contemplating a Pam but I guess I can wear it on my ankle)

Reactions: Timnic54

alhig72

Content Contributor
Feb 11, 2018
Uk
Update... especially none of these,it pretty much ticks every one of my no boxes!!!
8969165caec605bf2d578df317fa04ac.jpg

TinaTime

Feb 11, 2018
It's funny, the longer I've been into reps the more forgiving I have become in what I'm willing to try. You would think it would be the other way around, especially if you knew me.

I started out with this list of no, nos: misspellings, obvious dial flaws, cyclops, fluted bezel, gold, bling of any sort, non working complications, open case back, fantasy models and quartz. With the exception of non working complications, I believe I've ignored everyone of my original guidelines or discovered I had after I made my purchase.

Stuessi

Feb 27, 2018
I don`t buy: RM. Hublot, Seven Friday, TAG unless they start to rep the vintage models and anything where the gen costs above 50`000 see PP Nautilus or any gold watches.

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
I had a pretty hard and fast “no gold” rule, but lately a couple buddies and I started experimenting to see if we can improve on the current offerings....
Pioneers like you are the key to a fantastic 16613 rep, so I've got my fingers crossed for you!

fluted bezel
Yeah, this is a no-no for me too, just on the basis of looks. I've never been able to bring myself to like this, even after seeing it in person.

BackwoodsJon

Trusted Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 22, 2017
in the woods
Yeah, this is a no-no for me too, just on the basis of looks. I've never been able to bring myself to like this, even after seeing it in person.[/QUOTE]

I didnt like fluted bezels either until I refinished a few for guys. When you get them all nice and shiny, there is something about them that just captivates. It is hard to explain, almost like the watch face has a halo around it. Pretty cool. Not sure if it is for me yet, I probably need to try one and see. They do remind me of a fishing lure though. lmao

Scott

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Feb 1, 2018
This talk about the fluted bezels also reminded me of another one -- no roman numerals. It just seems too old-fashioned, seems a bit pretentious on me.

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
This talk about the fluted bezels also reminded me of another one -- no roman numerals. It just seems too old-fashioned, seems a bit pretentious on me.
I don't mind romans on the right watch. However I don't get California dials at all!

Reactions: Scott

SinSir

Watchaholic
Ambassador
Feb 4, 2018
Chicago
I agree, No bling on anything rep, gen, or even jewelry for me. Not my thing. Hublot is a no go as well here. I can't even get myself to like gold, but maybe a TT? Bluesy anyone?

Now the leopard skin above, too bad it's got bling or I'd be all over that! Seriously, who wears that?

Last edited: