Building a 5513

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

WingNut

Idiot Savant and Good Dood
Ambassador
Feb 25, 2018
OK...

I am going to insert myself here...just how old or "aged" works?

I'm sure it is a matter of taste...Just asking and posting a couple of my B&S 5513...

Hat's off to him...

5513e.jpg

5513.jpg

5513a.jpg

Reactions: Scott

Stuessi

Feb 27, 2018
Hi M. !
Sent the 7928 to the watch guy for a service, getting it back this week.
This will obviously never be as good as tripdog's work, but I'm doing my best :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Why service? Any problems with the movement? It may be cheaper to just replace the movement then, DG2813 are about 45USD on ebay and I am sure you are capable to do that :)

OP
rwatch0

rwatch0

Content Contributor
Feb 15, 2018
Belgium
Why service? Any problems with the movement? It may be cheaper to just replace the movement then, DG2813 are about 45USD on ebay and I am sure you are capable to do that :)
No problems M. it just ran too fast, maybe 2 min per day. There was nothing wrong with it, just a matter of using the right oil on the right parts, and getting a new fresh one out of the box will likely have the same. You are right, these movements are cheap, and as many tell me, you use and then toss them.
But I like that watch so much that I really want the movement inside to be stable and precise, that's why I chose for a full service (cleaning and oiling) instead of a new movement that I wouldn't know of it it would run well enough to my taste (with this awesome watch).
Thanks for your concern though :)

OP
rwatch0

rwatch0

Content Contributor
Feb 15, 2018
Belgium
Did the lugholes today. Much to my surprise I didn't waste 4 drill bits on 4 holes like last time, drilled the first 3 with 1 bit so I used only 2 :)
Also sanded and polished the Clark's bezel, it needs another run though. Next time.

Drilling 1.25mm holes
bhwRYfr.jpg
GOPwgzM.jpg

Sanding and polishing bezel and lugs
rpZpVSL.jpg
WDVZxSk.jpg

So far so good (as in nothing major damaged :cool:)
jayYAvg.jpg
ApJgWCF.jpg
g3VjtF4.jpg

Later..

Last edited:
OP
rwatch0

rwatch0

Content Contributor
Feb 15, 2018
Belgium
Yes, just a tiny bit to get the edges off :)

OP
rwatch0

rwatch0

Content Contributor
Feb 15, 2018
Belgium
Bezel looks nice. Good job :)
It (bezel and case) needs a final finish with 2000 grit which I'm getting from Alhig72 (thanks A.!), strangely enough I can't get that here. Found it online but they only sell to UK :confused:
Anyway, it will be even better!
Thanks A. :)

malilis

Feb 2, 2018
Holes look good now .. ! and the strap is very appropriate ... btw, is this movement a hacking movement ?
rgds

OP
rwatch0

rwatch0

Content Contributor
Feb 15, 2018
Belgium
Holes look good now .. ! and the strap is very appropriate ... btw, is this movement a hacking movement ?
rgds
I'm using a Miyota 8215, which is a non-hacking movement.
I'm using this one for it's 21,600 bph which is accurate for the 5513. When you put in e.g. a 2836 the seconds hand just runs too fast and smooth, or at least that's what I feel. Some prefer the more stable high beat movements (2836) anyway though.

You could also go with the DG2813 which has the same specs but I try to keep away from it because of the super fragile seconds pinion, it breaks when you look at it. It has a hacking movement but it's fragile also, there are many comments on these forums about how the 2813 hacking system stopped after changing or working on the stem.

The other/better choice would be ETA2846 (as I think you know) but the movements are more expensive, very hard to come by and are always 20/30 yrs old. So bear in mind you face a revision or service of the movement always.

Reactions: malilis

malilis

Feb 2, 2018
thanks for the info .. it's a bit a pity to not have an hacking function .. but you are right to stay away from the DG2813.. mine in the vintage sub did work Ok for a while .. kind of accurate but then collapsed with out warning ! hence the 2846 .. that will undergo a complete maintenance, yes !

Reactions: rwatch0