What is NWBIG ?

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
(Full list on page 2 of this thread)

Just over a year ago I started a thread on RWI. The purpose of the thread was to try to apply some notional clarity on the question, what makes a good Rep.

We have often seen the term Super Rep;

The problem with this is that it has no really clear definition and (as is of course to an extent any descriptive term) is open to a fairly high level of subjectivity.

The notion of a 1:1 clone is in all practical terms unattainable and therefore not useful to define between Reps.

It was then I came up with the idea to turn the whole thing on it's head and not describe the Rep, but the watch as a whole in both it's Gen and Rep to apply a term, which more described the situation surrounding a particular watch rather than a specific rep of that watch.

I Came up with the acronym NWBIG which means Not Worth Buying in Gen.

If this is already getting fuzzy and a little unclear lets look at an example or two;

Take the IWC 5445

It is a very basic 3 hand watch with a 316l SS case a movement derived from a 6498 ETA with small seconds at 6 That's the Gen

Gen or Rep I would describe any IWC 5445 as NWBIG

Why?

Because the Gen will give you no measurable and significant advantage over the Rep

Both will have a SS case of the same construction shape and finish. Both will have hands and dial almost indistinguishable from one and other.

Both will have an ETA 6498 derived movement of very similar finish and construction.

Therefore to buy the Gen gives you no significant or measurable advantage over the Rep , therefore the iWC 5445 is NWBIG

24562777908_ea3f80dc65_b.jpg

38378265886_30428a22f1_b.jpg

Below are a some examples of watches which I believe to be NWBIG. Importantly it is not the Reps which are NWBIG it is the concept of the watch itself which is NEWBIG. It is then a further decision as to which of the Reps of that watch are individually better and depending on their individual flaws (All will have some) and which of those flaws our individual taste disposes us of tolerating.

Bvlgari Diagono Magnesium

The watch is NWBIG because there is a Rep available which offers exactly what the Gen offers

The same construction methods and materials. Both Rep and Gen have simple 28800 VPH movements auto winding, of reasonable quality and serviceability. In the case of the Rep it is a Miyota 9015. In the case of the Gen it is designated an in-house movement, and not of any spectacular groundbreaking design or construction. The Miyota 9015 is arguably every bit as good

So 300$ ish for the Rep or $5000 ish for the Gen. For me this makes the watch NWBIG

34344932773_3cf84948e6_b.jpg

Here's another;

Franck Muller Casablanca 8880

I have owned this in Gen . It is a SS 316l case of reasonably fine construction Powered by an ETA 2892

Reps are available I have one , and will add that the overall fit and finish of the case on the GV Rep I have is considerably better than the Gen

Dial and hands of the same construction. Powered by an ETA 2824, Both 2892 and 2824 run at 28800 and are equally serviceable. Arguably the 2892 is a slightly better movement.But does it give a significant measurable advantage over the Rep at $400 ish when the Gen is $7000 ish. I think not. So for me this watch is NWBIG Unless of course you have too much money and want to throw some at me.

38375607196_e61c99e290_b.jpg

I could go on and on with more examples and through the progression of this thread I may add some. However it is much more fun to hear what you guys think and to see the watches you designate as NWBIG, because the Gen gives you no significant measurable advantage over the Rep

There can be a degree of subjectivity in this notion. For example if you never intend to dive with a watch on your wrist you would probably designate a Rolex SUB as NWBIG, if you do dive then you will not .

Watches which will almost never be NWBIG will of course be those made in precious metals , as plating will never give the feel, heft nor exact colour of that metal. Also watches which have specific complications for which a movement duplicating these complications is not readily available to the Rep makers

So lets see your take on this

Last edited:

CMaster

Content Contributor
Jan 25, 2018
Ireland
I don't know if @efthimis is on here and he may disagree with me but the Omega LMPO or LE PO LM is a great rep. Both Gen and Rep are limited and hard to get although there are continual short releases of the Rep. To me it is one of the most beautiful Omegas ever released. I nearly bought efthimis' Gen when he had it for sale but I chickened. The V1 is pretty close but all Rep LMPOs suffer the same flaws which are easily modded.

Here is my mash up of a V1 and a V2. The hand has been painted with Omega paint as they can be orange instead of red. It is also relumed and waterproofed as the case was not great to start with and needed some work. Cosmetically it is so so similar to the gen. Functionally there is no difference as it houses a bullet proof Asian clone. The tube went and I nearly replaced it with a Gen LMPO crown, hard to get and €160 which was not worth it. Thankfully the Gen Tube solved the problem.

So here it is.

1517225299134.png1517225399645.png1517225444364.png1517225512679.png

Last edited:

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
JF Rolex OP39
Tudor Pelagos
Noob V1 Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
Noob JLC Navy Seals Diver
Most of the new GF Breitlings

Last edited:
OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
I think the Noob V2 BPFF is also great Also the ZF

JJF VC overseas

V6F Zenith Pilot extra Special

V 7/8 AP Diver JF closed back

JJF Hublot BB Fusion

WatchGuy

Dec 22, 2017
IMO, any gen that is using a standard ETA movement and use non-precious metals are NWBIG, provided their reps are using that same movement (Clone or ETA, idc) and there arent glaring flaws on the rep.

This means majority of Tudors, Tags, Pam, and the likes fall into the NWBIG category.

WatchGuy

Dec 22, 2017
I'll also add, anything that can be fully gensteined, meaning everything down to the case, movement, etc is gen, for significantly less than the actual gen would be NWBIG for me. However, that really only applies to those that can do the work themselves, since a build like that tends to take a bit of labor and could bump that price up considerably.

LarryZek

Content Contributor
Ambassador
Dec 22, 2017
I'll also add, anything that can be fully gensteined, meaning everything down to the case, movement, etc is gen, for significantly less than the actual gen would be NWBIG for me. However, that really only applies to those that can do the work themselves, since a build like that tends to take a bit of labor and could bump that price up considerably.
Tell me about it

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
CNY celebrations will be over soon and the next year will hopefully bring us many diverse NWBIG watches. The improvements in manufacturing quality and facility have been exponential. lets hope they continue and in so doing feed the great enthusiasm for this exciting hobby.

WatchGuy

Dec 22, 2017
There are supposed to be big things coming from Noob and ARF/JF within a couple weeks of everyone getting back to business on the Rolex side of things. Haven't been in touch as much with the other brands, but i can imagine there should be some goodies coming as well.

OP
Timnic54

Timnic54

NWBIG
Horologist
Jan 16, 2018
Bangkok
There are supposed to be big things coming from Noob and ARF/JF within a couple weeks of everyone getting back to business on the Rolex side of things. Haven't been in touch as much with the other brands, but i can imagine there should be some goodies coming as well.

I think we have a very exciting year ahead.